Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 18:07   #241
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Does constant anchoring wear you down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
As I said before, I only sometimes agree with RAKU, but for all of the bashers out there, just put your boat in reverse at a knot or two, alongside some nasty old commercial dock and push the tiller towards the dock. You will quickly learn that moving the tiller to (one side or the other) does not magicaly move the boat away from that side. It more quickly moves the bow towards the side that you moved the tiller towards. If anyone wants to risk their paint job, they should try it. Having spent somewhere between 2000, and 3000 nights on the hook, i am comfortable with this argument.. Got to love CF. ____Grant.

I actually have confidence that if anyone here had the intellectual honesty to give this a try, they could do it in open water. That's how I was taught to dock, practicing in open water first.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 18:10   #242
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Sorry, the phrase "OK, so which way is North?" was not written by me. I never use sarcasm when teaching anything.

Let's cut through all this absurd nonsense and look at the drawing. Forget port and starboard, since that seems to confuse some people. Looking at the drawing where the stern is at the top of the page, the tiller is turned towards the left side of the page, and the rudder is pointed towards the right side of the page -- which way will the boat go in reverse? Towards the left side of the page? Or towards the right side of the page? And with this the whole ridiculous puzzle will be solved. Answers?

Dockhead, I mean this in all honesty and sincerity -- you either aren't perceiving when you're sarcastic or you don't remember it that way afterwards.

But I've been the recipient of it multiple times and as I said before, i'm not going to play. Go teach someone else, please. Please.
Old 11-10-2013, 18:13   #243

Boat: Morgan 323

reading all of these posts, I probably should be more worried about anchoring... I'm "only" cruising during the summer months, but I drop the hook, set it, make sure that it is set, turn on the anchor alarm on my Garmin and start enjoying the beautiful view from the cockpit. What am I doing wrong?
Downhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 18:15   #244

Boat: PETERSON 44
What are you doing with your tiller? Answer that and will be glad to comment
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 18:15   #245

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Dockhead, I mean this in all honesty and sincerity -- you either aren't perceiving when you're sarcastic or you don't remember it that way afterwards.

But I've been the recipient of it multiple times and as I said before, i'm not going to play. Go teach someone else, please. Please.
Sorry, Raku, I did not write those words. Look up through the posts. I do not actually like having my posts forged in quotations -- please desist from this practice.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 18:17   #246
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhill View Post
reading all of these posts, I probably should be more worried about anchoring... I'm "only" cruising during the summer months, but I drop the hook, set it, make sure that it is set, turn on the anchor alarm on my Garmin and start enjoying the beautiful view from the cockpit. What am I doing wrong?

I want to know what you're doing RIGHT -- what model do you have, please? Does yours have a volume control? I haven't found one on mine -- I have a 441S. I can't test it right now -- I'm having electrical problems on the boat -- but I would be so happy if the anchor alarm were loud enough to wake me up.
Old 11-10-2013, 18:17   #247

Boat: Island Packet 35
Quote:
Correct! Tiller towards the dock in reverse, and bow will smash into the dock, just as you say. But the stern moves away from the dock, contrary to what some have said.
I have this unnatural compulsion to actually join in this conversation instead of just eating popcorn and watching the carnage. I can see both points of view here. I posted this a few posts ago, but here we go again:
Raku's assertion can be correct IF you consider a small boat with an open cockpit and a tiller that can pivot up and over the rudder post (is this what you have been talking about, Raku?). Here's a photo of this type of tiller:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4258550666.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	25.6 KB
ID:	68517

When you pivot the tiller up and over so it points toward the stern, consider what happens when you steer in reverse. The stern will move in the direction you point the (now reversed) tiller. If you are stuck imagining a fixed tiller that won't pivot, you will go bonkers trying to figure out why someone would make this claim. If your tiller experience is confined to boats with pivoting tillers, you won't understand why this isn't obvious to all. I think you have all been in violent agreement.

I'm going to shut up now.
SV Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 18:18   #248
cruiser

Quote:
Sorry, Raku, I did not write those words. Look up through the posts. I do not actually like having my posts forged in quotations -- please desist from this practice.

Which words didn't you say? Because, my dear, I did not quote any post of yours.
Old 11-10-2013, 18:20   #249
cruiser

Quote:
Correct! Tiller towards the dock in reverse, and bow will smash into the dock, just as you say. But the stern moves away from the dock, contrary to what some have said.

If you lead with the stern, the bow will follow the stern -- unless you don't make a big enough turn or something. But when two flat-out beginners can do it perfectly on the first try I think you probably could also.

The stern goes into the slip and the bow, still attached to the boat, follows along.
Old 11-10-2013, 18:24   #250

Cruisers Forum Supporter

So how about the drawing?

Click image for larger version

Name:	howatillerworks.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	68518

I am absolutely sure, that every single CFer, including Raku, will give the right answer to this question:

With the tiller and rudder turned the way they are in the drawing, which way will the boat go in reverse? Towards the left side of the page (from your POV), or the right side of the page? The stern is at the top of the page, the bow the bottom. The port side of the boat is on the right side of the page, the starboard side is on the left side of the page. For orientation.

After answering -- "of course, the right side of the page" -- we can all go to bed, knowing that none of us is crazy, although there is some stubborn problem with communication.
Old 11-10-2013, 18:28   #251

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
If you lead with the stern, the bow will follow the stern -- unless you don't make a big enough turn or something. But when two flat-out beginners can do it perfectly on the first try I think you probably could also.

The stern goes into the slip and the bow, still attached to the boat, follows along.
Hint: with the helm over one way or the other, the bow and stern move in opposite directions. That is the definition of turning. Rotation of the boat around the keel.
Old 11-10-2013, 18:34   #252

Boat: Island Packet 35
Getting back on topic, I no longer think that anchoring wears me down--but this thread sure does.
SV Sea Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 18:38   #253
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Sea Monkey View Post
Getting back on topic, I no longer think that anchoring wears me down--but this thread sure does.
And so say all of us.

Coops.
Old 11-10-2013, 18:39   #254

When I last read this tread it was into the third page, and about the stress of open water anchoring. Fast forward a few days and it's page 17 and about, well I am not sure...

SO,
Can someone please point out what page/post this thread changed from the the tiring stress of anchoring in open water to backing into docks ? And where I might learn the proper technique for anchoring at the dock. Thanks

Will both be in the same section of the rookie seaman's test ?
Is it a misdemeanor, or a felony for not anchoring at a dock ?
Will my insurance co. require a special anchor for use at the dock ?

Or is this typical CF thread drift...

Now back to the movie with Paul Newman...

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 18:42   #255

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
When I last read this tread it was into the third page, and about the stress of open water anchoring. Fast forward a few days and it's page 17 and about, well I am not sure... SO, Can someone please point out what page/post this thread changed from the the tiring stress of anchoring in open water to backing into docks ? And where I might learn the proper technique for anchoring at the dock. Thanks Will both be in the same section of the rookie seaman's test. Now back to the movie with Paul Newman...
This is the typical CF drift...
MBLittle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring