Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2014, 21:25   #91

Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Re: Do Multihullers Ever go Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caradow View Post
Hey tomfl, the name of the Tri I was referring to is a Pinta built "Paille En Queue"
It is over in the Med. and 52 ft. in length.
Probably not everyone's cup of tea but I really like it.
I too have also admired the Farrier boats but probably, at least for now, need more room.
I personally would prefer a big Tri over even a Gunboat but again I realize they are not for everyone.
I would love to sail one at least and see if they are really what they appear to be.
Looked at the ad for the pinta boat but it was in French, don't know about the boat.

While I like the Fboats the owner of the F39 gave me some interesting insights. There seemed to be a lot more room on the boat than I expected and the owner said he never had issues with storage. He raced the boat and normally used a crew of five not including himself. He could sail it himself but suggested it was not as easy to single hand as my boat. Another thing I like about most cats is they have twin screws, and boats like mine have them some what close to midships which means the boat can spin in its own length.

Quite frankly I seem to have an easier time sailing solo than doing things like docking or picking up a ball so the agility twin screws amidships provides is a big plus cats have that a tri does not. Tris also seem to be wetter boats than cats of similar size.

But the fboats are stupid fun to sail and I always wind up grinning ear to ear after being on one.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 21:36   #92
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Only if stats wasn't your major at uni. Roughly Half my sales are to owners of previous multis
You did not get the humour in the play on your words then obviously. Must have failed in that at uni as well. What a waste of time it was there.

Coops.
Old 05-05-2014, 21:48   #93

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
A multihull with a bigger engine is way faster and regarding the ARC some record numbers belong to cats: a 43ft that motored for 140 hours, a 44fft for 120, another 44ft for 108 hours. They need to have a big tankage on those cats, much more than on most similar sized monohulls
Motoring on a single engine at a time making around 6.5 knots, that would probably have cost them about 150 US gallons all up.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 23:33   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Silly. Bigger engine isn't about going faster, it's about burning the fuel in your large tankage more efficiently, and going farther. A multihull simply doesn't have the load capacity for really big tanks.
Depends, like everything, on the multihull. Mine certainly doesn't carry a huge load of fuel, but others can carry huge loads. But then they can't sail at close to windspeed.

Anyway, my comment was about the Sydney-Hobart racing yachts. To go faster you fit a bigger engine. And bigger fuel tanks too I guess...
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:58   #95

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:27   #96
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
Not sure if you remember the movie Waterworld, but the tri in that movie had a 220hp Volvo. Not sure about the efficiency but that boat could move when it had to.

Years back I made a couple trips to Orlando in a previous life. Someone else's kids had to see Disneyland. I don't care for Disneyland, but I did enjoy Universal Studios and had a good look at the Waterworld tri there in the water. Fast forward to my present life, and I was back in Orlando visiting friends this time. Went back to Universal to ride the roller coasters, but the first thing I headed for was the trimaran. It's gone! They took it away! I wasn't done looking at it yet!!

I loved that movie. I want gills.
Old 06-05-2014, 03:35   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If you think about it.. you may remember how many folk post on here... "Never sailed but thinking of buying a 50' catamaran.. I have a plan.."
I can think of at least 4 threads this year along those lines.. not counting the one running right now.. and I can think of a coupla 3 cats over the years I've delivered where the owners had crewed on mono's but never owned one..
Not having a pop.. or trying to put anyone down.. just saying..
Man you guys got no sense of humour

(er......I havent used this smiley before so I thought Id try it).
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:39   #98
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I live on a cat in the Keys on a ball at Boot Key. Know how much it costs for the ball, food from Publix.
There is the problem! YOu need to change your supermarket!
Old 06-05-2014, 04:00   #99

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Motoring on a single engine at a time making around 6.5 knots, that would probably have cost them about 150 US gallons all up.
That's probably in flat water and that should not have been always the case. Anyway that corresponds to a considerable tankage (570L). The total one should be at least 20/30% bigger since I don't believe they had not stayed with a reserve for emergencies.

Many monohulls that made that transat with 40/43 feet have a total diesel tankage of about 150L. I am talking about performance cruisers, but even main market big production cruisers (the ones in bigger number) have not much more. For instance a Bavaria 40 has 210L, a Bavaria 46 the same, a Jeanneau 439 has 200L. Normally they all can have an extra deposit (option) with more 100L but even so it is way short of the over 600L that 43Ft cat (a production one) has of tankage.

You can see that difference looking for instance to a Lagoon 421 that has standard 600L of diesel tankage (more than the double of a similar sized mass production monohull cruiser) or the 450 that has standard a diesel tankage of 1000L.

http://www.cata-lagoon.com/documenta...re_09_2012.pdf

http://www.cata-lagoon.com/documenta...re_09_2012.pdf
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:13   #100

Quote:
Maybe so, but I am not the only one joking. The F39 is a big fast ocean going boat that lots of folks claim will sail faster than twenty knots in many conditions.

It seems that I started the wrong foot with you, sorry about that. I was talking about the Lagoon 39, and the joking had to do with a Lagoon 39 sailing at over 20k. Sure, I believe the Farrier 39 can do in some conditions 20+K. In fact some years back I researched to see If I could have one built for myself at a price I could afford. Not a chance Also the ones that have experience building it where on Canada, a long way from Europe. You say that you sailed it, it was that Canadian one or there is more built?
Old 06-05-2014, 04:18   #101

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
There is the problem! YOu need to change your supermarket!
Not sure just how much cruising you have done but most folks who cruise understand that many options landlubbers have are not available to cruisers. I do have a fold up bike on the boat but the distance I can ride it and the load capacity are limited, not to mention I have to get it from the boat to shore and back. There is a Winn-Dixie two blocks past Publix and I have also shopped there at times.

For many cruisers access for any supermarket is a treat.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:20   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
I'd also consider getting a mono if I was interested in high latitude sailing. Many cats do sail these regions but for me, I'd rather have a bullet proof mono. What was that brand of boats you posted about years ago? A Jonker or something? I'd take one of those in a heart beat. There's lots of mono's I'd love to have but not until I'm done cruising with 10 people aboard all summer long. Plus, it really is nice to not roll at anchor all night long.
I don't see why. You can have an aluminium cat, there are some on the market.
There are two crazy French trying to reach the North Pole with a cat (first over water, then over Ice). They did not succeed (yet) but they had made previously the Northwest passage with a cat without engine.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:21   #103
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
You did not get the humour in the play on your words then obviously. Must have failed in that at uni as well. What a waste of time it was there.

Coops.
I got the attempt, it just wasn't all that funny.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:41   #104
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Kind of interesting, the importance of comfort of living aboard , abroad are exactly why we bought a comfortable cruising cat as opposed to a daysailor weekender cat. Running away from other boats never was on our checklist. But still being able to sail 7-8 knots + were happy with, if speed were super important we could always add a bowsprit and a screecher and push 10-12.In Comfort.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Very doubtful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 04:46   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Not sure just how much cruising you have done but most folks who cruise understand that many options landlubbers have are not available to cruisers. I do have a fold up bike on the boat but the distance I can ride it and the load capacity are limited, not to mention I have to get it from the boat to shore and back. There is a Winn-Dixie two blocks past Publix and I have also shopped there at times.

For many cruisers access for any supermarket is a treat.
There is a definite lack of humour in this thread.......

Lighten up fellahs!

And Winn-Dixie is a better deal not to mention a lot cheaper.
(I lived in Florida from 2002 to 2011 so am familiar with the whole scene.)

...... and have a little experience with boating and provisioning etc.

Tags
hull, multihull