Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2017, 10:45   #31

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Desperately Seeking Dinghy in the USVI

I suggest you you buy a cheap new one, and have it shipped directly to the closest marina to your boat (or the broker there, or whoever you are dealing with). This way, you don't have to carry it on an airplane, and it will be waiting for you when you get there.

Also, based on your original post, you may not know how much dinghies cost. Yes, it would be nice to spend $10k on a RIB with a big outboard and centre cosole. But you could suffice with a base model and oars for around $1k. Hey, you can always add an outboard later, or upgrade once you are settled.

Here's what I would buy (but I'm in canada, you can likely get something better from a US supplier):

9’6" Saturn Inflatable boat | saturninflatableboats.ca

Like a previous poster said...go to West Marine for a base model dinghy and see if they will ship directly to a convenient location near the boat.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 10:51   #32

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
You could sail to St. Maarten, go alongside at Island Water World and collect a roll-up dinghy for $1,800. We just damaged our dinghy so we are probably going over to buy one this week. Even if you get a second hand one, anything good will be $1,000. You can buy online Island Water World | Caribbean Chandlery | Marine Parts and they will have it waiting for you. For another $1,000 you can get an outboard, but you can row for now.
If you can't afford this, you shouldn't get on the boat, because it's going to be an expensive period until you get the boat shipshape. All I did since buying our boat this year is fix it, and I didn't need to hire anyone. We didn't have any major issues but we are constantly in IWW buying parts. Look forward to hitting that credit card hard, and don't buy anything you don't need for safety, seaworthiness or navigation. Those are your priorities.
Pretty much anything on a boat costs $1000. Except for those little things your guests (previously "friends") drop overboard by mistake (like winch handles) thats only $100.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 11:01   #33

Buy a good dingy in the USVI. You need one anyway. Surely they sell them there!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 11:12   #34

Boat: Union cutter 33

no experience can't afford a dingy and u expect to be able to cruise. ..goodluck with that
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 11:46   #35
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Pretty much anything on a boat costs $1000. Except for those little things your guests (previously "friends") drop overboard by mistake (like winch handles) thats only $100.

That's the BEST description yet!

B reak
O ut
A nother
T housand
ur2slo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 12:32   #36

Boat: Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecondBase View Post
Have you considered a kayak short-term?
These come in inflatable versions as well. And not so hard to find on Craigslist.

I agree, you do not want to be stuck waiting on some kind soul to compensate for your not having thought this out far enough. Sorry to put it that way. Please don't take it personally. If we could all think things out as far as they need to be, the word "adventure" could retire.
Old 24-01-2017, 14:31   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

Anns comment is sound. An alternative is to pick up an inflatable canoe. Longer term you'll need a decent durable dinghy and these are not 'luggage' as they are too heavy. The canoe you can keep for later - exploring and fun etc, but in the meanwhile it'll serve your needs, and you'll get away without an engine until you find what you want second hand somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Ace, you're flying from LA. Go to WM and buy a roll-up dinghy with a carry bag, repair kit, and a pump, and paddle/ row to and from the boat, it's good for you!

You may be able to pick up a small o/b, or not, and if not, it will limit you. If you can locate an old Avon Redcrest with its oars, on e-bay or craigslist, try that, [take a repair kit with you]. You really need the dink, and never leave the boat without making sure you can row into the wind you have at the time; pay attention to the forecasts, better to leave the boat when wind is diminishing. (fwiw, Jim and I sit side by side to row, when we row. My job is to row steady, even strokes; his, to row with me, but adding force when we need to turn.)

You will find yourself stopping early in the day, to anchor as close in as possible. Do try to get hold of a reliable motor for it at some point, it will make life easier. We knew some folks with a Redcrest, and they found a way to manage through some years of cruising, always without a motor, so it's doable, to go without one, when you're fit.

Ann
Bulawayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 15:23   #38

Anybody else noticed that this guy hasn't responded to any posts on this thread?? BTW, there are two dinghies available on Craigslist USVI, and there are another two on the board at the boatyard. My point being that if this guy truly needed a dink to get back and fourth to his boat on STJ, it's an easy fix. One rowing dink available is for sale for $150.00 and is in Red Hook. People need to help themselves and do for themselves. Especially if they are planning to cruise. Who are they going to cry to for information to a problem out in the middle of it??
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 15:35   #39
cruiser

Yup, blo and go wannabe you tuber.............

go figger

Question Stupidity..................
Old 24-01-2017, 15:40   #40
cruiser

Ah I couldn't help thinking about just posting a like ad...............
my youtube channel. Ima gonna call it.....

" No Tan Lines" ..............Nekked chics on sailboats

what ya'll think?
and to all you deadacated viewers out there who want to contribute to my cause , cause I ain't got no dinghy to get the girls on the boat with, would be happy to donate, I'll even install a what ya call it? stripper pole on the foredeck for next weeks video..........

Yup dats what imma gonna do................
Old 24-01-2017, 16:14   #41

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepondancin View Post
What is with these people buying big boats, knowing nothing about what they are doing, going for the big adventure. Is it becoming a scam for a "Go Fund Me"? Wish this scam was around when I had $50k in medical bills for my late wife, 20% out of network, or when my inflatable died after 18 years, or two years ago when I had an emergency haul out when the hose on my rudder post burst, and I was taking on water, only 5 miles out. This used to be a cruisers forum, not a wannabe forum. Sailed most my life, cruised for 10, and I am still on the learning curve. Might be time to take a break from here. I like following cruisers helping cruisers, but not this nonsense.
Sounds like you handled your cards well . And you still playing the game?
They are loking for a dingy, not a handout .
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 16:20   #42

On the other hand...

...within two weeks these people will be on their boat in the USVI, doing what so many here talk about doing but maybe never will.

They'll figure it out. Better to learn the hard way than sit around on the internet making fun of people with no experience giving it a go.

I wish them the best of luck!
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 16:48   #43

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ur2slo View Post
Ah I couldn't help thinking about just posting a like ad...............
my youtube channel. Ima gonna call it.....

" No Tan Lines" ..............Nekked chics on sailboats

what ya'll think?
and to all you deadacated viewers out there who want to contribute to my cause , cause I ain't got no dinghy to get the girls on the boat with, would be happy to donate, I'll even install a what ya call it? stripper pole on the foredeck for next weeks video..........

Yup dats what imma gonna do................
Thanks for pointing out so graphically what might be going on....blog click bait.
Old 24-01-2017, 17:28   #44

Boat: Tayana 58 DS

We occasionally find ourselves without a dinghy. For example, a few weeks ago in Antigua we were held up waiting for a new fuel pump for our dinghy motor. Fortunately, we did have kayaks, so not all was lost.

Take your new boat across to St Thomas and anchor (Red Hook is most convenient to St John, but can anchor many places). Find some kind soul to shuttle you in to shore. Take a public bus to the K-mart in St Thomas ($1-2 per person) where you can buy very rugged sit-on kayaks for about $300 a piece. Add $50 each for paddles and $25 for the taxi ride back to your boat, and you're in business. There are downsides -- you'll get at least a little wet wherever you go, you won't be able to haul large or heavy objects, and if it is far or the wind is up you may decide to stay put. But, you'll be able to get between your boat and shore, there's no gas to buy or store, and the things are nearly indestructable. If you've ever had a nice kayak, you'll think of them as toys (which they are), but they work. If you don't already have one, pickup a head-mounted flashlight since you won't have a free hand to hold it and you'll probably find yourself out at night.

When you tire of using the kayaks as primary transport to shore, and when you find a good dinghy, you can still keep, use and enjoy the kayaks.

You can buy kayaks elsewhere in St Thomas or even on St John, but probably for 2-3x the price.
accomplice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2017, 17:30   #45
cruiser

Boat: 53' Hatteras Cruising Yacht

Not sure if anyone mentioned this. The Mooring is based in Tortola. They have a huge facility there for all of their boats. Might be worth a shot call them before you head out that way.

At the Westin they rent boats and take tourists out snorkeling. Captain Dave and his business is the Nauti Nymph. He is local and i am sure can help you.

I surely hope you saw this boat before you bought it. I trust very few people in the USVI. Be very careful at night anywhere. St. John is the best place to for you to base out of. The island shuts down around 10:30-11pm. Red Hook for provisions. You can use your own boat or the ferry right there at Cruz Bay to Red Hook. Load up on provisions and get the return ferry. Everybody does it so don't be embarrassed about carrying a large load of provisions on the ferry back to Cruz Bay.

Lot of drugs down there so be careful.

BVI is a great area to drop anchor and use as your base versus that hell hole USVI. If you must use St. John as your home port.

Good luck
SouthernPride is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dinghy