Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 06:42   #46

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Derelict Boats - Not Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
Years ago, a large derelict wooden boat showed up tied to an abandoned piling on the Fraser River with a family of four living aboard. They had just been given the boat, then towed to the piling. They created a bit of local controversy, but in the end, they had no where else to go, so the city decided to allow them to stay, provided they enroll the 2 kids in the local school. That was ok for a couple months until they abandoned the ship and let it sink, leaving the city a huge clean-up bill for the boat and the fuel/garbage/sewage ect.
I'm not defending the calamity the family caused by abandoning the boat but still, my heart goes out to a family that is sticking together and trying to eek out a life. It's easy when you own an expensive yacht, have a few sources of income to turn your nose down at them. But just for a moment imagine that any one of us was not as fortunate as we are and had to live like them. In a lot of scenarios, the family breaks up. This is really sad for the children.
I look at my community and do not see people taking them in. Many of these people had places to live and a stable source of income prior to the financial meltdown. Now they have nothing.
I knew a family in Half Moon Bay who lived on a 40 ft. motor yacht. There was more rot than wood on that boat. Nice people and clean. You could tell their source of clothing was probably Good Will and their food most likely a food bank.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:27   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I guess the photos didn't do a good job of showing the boat! I wouldn't pay $1 TOTAL for the boat.
Actually it is pretty rough no question there. But it was a very nice looking boat at one time. Just sad so many boats get to such a state.

Yes if its steel ,the inside is most likely worst by far. If cement, well Its toast.

I would classify only about 25 percent of the anchor out boats in Richardson Bay as true Derelicts. Most are fairly clean.. Which you would see if you kayaked thru them. Just for many there is no where else to go. Of course the not in my backyard is prevalent everywhere it seems.

I was one of the 12 million people let go in the downturn, only because I was a little too old and too expensive to keep. Much easier to hire a fresh young engineer out of collage who will work 80-100 hours a week for what turns out to be about $10-12 dollar an hour. That is the new business model.

So I feel a bit for the unwanted boats out there.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:26   #48
cruiser

"""I'm not defending the calamity the family caused by abandoning the boat but still, my heart goes out to a family that is sticking together and trying to eek out a life. It's easy when you own an expensive yacht, have a few sources of income to turn your nose down at them. But just for a moment imagine that any one of us was not as fortunate as we are and had to live like them. In a lot of scenarios, the family breaks up. This is really sad for the children.
I look at my community and do not see people taking them in. Many of these people had places to live and a stable source of income prior to the financial meltdown. Now they have nothing.
I knew a family in Half Moon Bay who lived on a 40 ft. motor yacht. There was more rot than wood on that boat. Nice people and clean. You could tell their source of clothing was probably Good Will and their food most likely a food bank."""

by celestial sailor

My response to the "water world" family situation:

"No good deed goes unpunished...." Something I've learned the hard way many times... I presently have a deadbeat squatter in one of my commercial buildings, expensive, gross and almost impossible to get rid of.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:33   #49
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebird View Post
Years ago, a large derelict wooden boat showed up tied to an abandoned piling on the Fraser River with a family of four living aboard. They had just been given the boat, then towed to the piling. They created a bit of local controversy, but in the end, they had no where else to go, so the city decided to allow them to stay, provided they enroll the 2 kids in the local school. That was ok for a couple months until they abandoned the ship and let it sink, leaving the city a huge clean-up bill for the boat and the fuel/garbage/sewage ect.

I doubt they were boaters, no doubt had neither the knowledge, the means or the skills to take care of the boat. It was probably on its way to sinking when it was "given" to them.

So they do the best they do, but get off when it gets dangerous. What else were they to do?

I don't think "Cap'n" Jay ever intended to sail his boat, either. He was just trying to keep a roof over his head. Free rent is much better than $600 a month when your income is $800.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:35   #50
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I would classify only about 25 percent of the anchor out boats in Richardson Bay as true Derelicts. Most are fairly clean

The boat in the photo I posted is a true derelict and beyond. From the grime on boat I would bet it has been years since anyone has even stepped onto it. I bet it has been anchored in that spot over 10 years as the mooring field has growth all around it! Maybe been there so long that no one really knows who owns it anymore etc. And if the town does know the owner they have probably been sending them fines that are just collecting in a drawer etc. Someday the taxpayers will have to pay to remove it!

In fact I think one would need to have all their shots up to date before stepping on it and risking getting a scratch on their hand! I wouldn't even be willing to go inside without a breathing rig and full containment suit!

There was another boat anchored that is more the 50% derelict as I saw someone on it 2 weeks ago. But I never saw a light etc on it and the only one on it last weekend were about 50 gulls that got mad when I dinghied by at night.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:37   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Don Lucas... I feel your pain.

I can't understand how anyone can defend those rotting seagull toilets, usually just eyesores put in place to either hold a mooring in someones name or house a bum.

Newport Beach, California is also home to at least 100 of them.... Sausalito, CA, the same. Why do the cities put up with it??
Its called being an artist..An artist will see what can be, not what is..Then again I dont like abstract...DVC
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:12   #52
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Its called being an artist..An artist will see what can be, not what is..Then again I dont like abstract...DVC

That's not what being an artist is. An artist has to see clearly before he or she can transform. An artist here could probably look at a derelict boat and find a way to make it look beautiful. Could even portray it as it looked when first launched, but that doesn't mean an artist doesn't see the real world.

I don't see an answer for these problems. If the boats were valuable, then most people would sell them if they were in a desperate place. For whatever reason, like "Cap'n" Jay, they aren't nearly up to the task of taking care of their floating home.

I suspect Cap'n Jay had a hard time all his life. That doesn't excuse any time he might have lied when the truth would have served him better, or that maybe he only tells the truth when forced to, or any time he might have used others. He might have been doomed to his life from the day he was born.

But none of it solves the problem of derelict boats. They're expensive to fix and expensive to dispose of.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:47   #53
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
That's not what being an artist is. An artist has to see clearly before he or she can transform. An artist here could probably look at a derelict boat and find a way to make it look beautiful. Could even portray it as it looked when first launched, but that doesn't mean an artist doesn't see the real world.

I don't see an answer for these problems. If the boats were valuable, then most people would sell them if they were in a desperate place. For whatever reason, like "Cap'n" Jay, they aren't nearly up to the task of taking care of their floating home.

I suspect Cap'n Jay had a hard time all his life. That doesn't excuse any time he might have lied when the truth would have served him better, or that maybe he only tells the truth when forced to, or any time he might have used others. He might have been doomed to his life from the day he was born.

But none of it solves the problem of derelict boats. They're expensive to fix and expensive to dispose of.
This sounds like what abstract art looks like to me..lol...maybe he thought "why tell the truth when a lie will do."(Joe. Goerbles(?)...DVC
Old 10-09-2012, 11:06   #54

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Quote:
I was one of the 12 million people let go in the downturn, only because I was a little too old and too expensive to keep. Much easier to hire a fresh young engineer out of collage who will work 80-100 hours a week for what turns out to be about $10-12 dollar an hour. That is the new business model.
Yup. In the past 10 years I've had ten jobs in five different industries. Most times the companies run out of work after 6 months, then you're out the door again. No matter that you fixed their backlog and reorganized the place so that it runs properly, they always keep the long-term dunderheads that caused the problems in the first place. Lots of really stupid people out there running companies.

Bright fresh engineers just out of college get $50k here, while the most I ever made was $42k - writing embedded firmware - and that was only for one year. The company was so broke that most months I'd be waiting for money to pay the rent.

Like Ayn Rand's 'John Galt' character I feel relieved to be stepping off the treadmill at last. Knowing I'd never be able to afford a house, I bought a yacht instead. Mad? Maybe, but very happy about the decision.

Rob

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 11:30   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
This sounds like what abstract art looks like to me..lol...maybe he thought "why tell the truth when a lie will do."(Joe. Goerbles(?)...DVC

Abstract art isn't a lie. It's an alternate perspective. You might not like cubist art, but it's grounded in reality -- all objects can be reduced to planes.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but that doesn't make it a lie. But that's kind of my point. Picasso could not reduce a woman's face to its planes without looking very precisely at what her face really looked like.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:47   #56
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Abstract art isn't a lie. It's an alternate perspective. You might not like cubist art, but it's grounded in reality -- all objects can be reduced to planes.

Might not be everyone's cup of tea, but that doesn't make it a lie. But that's kind of my point. Picasso could not reduce a woman's face to its planes without looking very precisely at what her face really looked like.
Interesting!Very interesting...DVC ps. the lying part was in referance to Capt.Jay..now you have me thinking in a different direction,shame on you,ignorance was bliss!..
Old 10-09-2012, 13:00   #57

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
The boat in the photo I posted is a true derelict and beyond. From the grime on boat I would bet it has been years since anyone has even stepped onto it. I bet it has been anchored in that spot over 10 years as the mooring field has growth all around it! Maybe been there so long that no one really knows who owns it anymore etc. And if the town does know the owner they have probably been sending them fines that are just collecting in a drawer etc. Someday the taxpayers will have to pay to remove it!

In fact I think one would need to have all their shots up to date before stepping on it and risking getting a scratch on their hand! I wouldn't even be willing to go inside without a breathing rig and full containment suit!

There was another boat anchored that is more the 50% derelict as I saw someone on it 2 weeks ago. But I never saw a light etc on it and the only one on it last weekend were about 50 gulls that got mad when I dinghied by at night.

Don, at first I thought the respondants were replying "tongue in cheek" to the obviously derelict hulk shown in your post. However, after reading some of the comments, one would have to asssume that a floating garbage dumpster really can have the potential for rebirth . . . like the proverbial Phoenix rising from the ashes with tens of thousands of dollars of wasted money and uncountable hours of wasted time to reclaim a "classic beauty" destined for once again greatness. My heart pounds, the tears are welling in my eyes . . . Have you ever heard the expression "hanging earrings on a pig?" . . . pure blasphemy at the highest level!
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 13:39   #58
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
The attached boat is anchored right in the middle of the mooring field in Provincetown Ma in a great spot behind the breakwater.
Is it a Hunter?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:11   #59
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
like the proverbial Phoenix rising from the ashes with tens of thousands of dollars of wasted money and uncountable hours of wasted time to reclaim a "classic beauty" destined for once again greatness.
And here I thought every boat required many thousands of dollars and thousand of hours of labor a year just to keep up. Maybe you pay people to do the work for you, but work it still takes... Boat after all means "break out another thousand."

The OP Boat (the derelict, not the hunter) is more then a bit rough for sure. Though I see people buying and fixing boats much like that one to restore.

Just like restoring an old car or airplane, there are people that do it just for the love of it. But you probably would never understand that..

Every boat is a bad investment, some just a little more then others..
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 14:20   #60
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
The OP Boat (the derelict, not the hunter) is more then a bit rough for sure. Though I see people buying and fixing boats much like that one to restore.

Just like restoring an old car or airplane, there are people that do it just for the love of it. But you probably would never understand that..

Every boat is a bad investment, some just a little more then others..

Maybe love comes into play. But if someone were to decide to restore that photo boat it is beyond love and probably has more to do with taking the wrong or right drugs. In other words there would need to be a massive chemical imbalance.

So that makes it good project for say ............................. David!

Tags
florida