Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-11-2018, 03:25   #211
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Back in Montt.
Boat: Westerly Sealord
Posts: 8,218
Re: Cruising Sailboats: a Dying Breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juho View Post
They are so used to being cold. I dream of sailing one day to the Patagonia, and Alaska too.
The big change came after 2008.... it took a few years but the anglophones simply vanished.... maybe something to do with the way different countries were affected by the GFM...

Finnish boat berthed next to us at the moment - Sarema - has done both the NW Passage and the NE Passage... heading for Antarctica and S Georgia now.... couple are +/- 70....... yes I think they like cold..
__________________
A little bit about Chile can be found here https://www.docdroid.net/bO63FbL/202...anchorages-pdf
El Pinguino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:46   #212
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kamloops, BC
Boat: 1999 Celestial 50
Posts: 45
Re: Cruising Sailboats: a Dying Breed?

I’m 42 years old. Not a millennial, but in my opinion, much younger than the average cruiser. I firmly believe that the demands of today’s new boat buyers are creating boats that will not last, and that I, as a “sea-worthy”/durability minded boat buyer, will NEVER be interested in. I don’t want to sail an IKEA showroom. That said, I also believe that finding well-maintained older, cruising-minded boats (especially Bluewater) IS getting much more difficult.
As for “The Millenials”... well, I definitely don’t relate to many of the mindsets and values; however, most of them ARE really still “kids”, that like millions of “hippies, yuppies, etc” will mature and evolve their values over time. Perhaps many that grew up sailing with their parents as cruising kids will eventually mature into cruising adults, and will then develop that DIY mentality out of necessity, just like the rest of us have.
saltfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:59   #213
Senior Cruiser
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: PORTUGAL
Posts: 30,749
Images: 2
pirate Re: Cruising Sailboats: a Dying Breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfree View Post
I’m 42 years old. Not a millennial, but in my opinion, much younger than the average cruiser. I firmly believe that the demands of today’s new boat buyers are creating boats that will not last, and that I, as a “sea-worthy”/durability minded boat buyer, will NEVER be interested in. I don’t want to sail an IKEA showroom. That said, I also believe that finding well-maintained older, cruising-minded boats (especially Bluewater) IS getting much more difficult.
As for “The Millenials”... well, I definitely don’t relate to many of the mindsets and values; however, most of them ARE really still “kids”, that like millions of “hippies, yuppies, etc” will mature and evolve their values over time. Perhaps many that grew up sailing with their parents as cruising kids will eventually mature into cruising adults, and will then develop that DIY mentality out of necessity, just like the rest of us have.
__________________

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

A Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:10   #214
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 500
Re: Cruising Sailboats: a Dying Breed?

So I'm in my 50's, getting back into sailing/cruising after a long absence. Last boat was a 40' footer, next year it will be a 60 footer. While I'm not a millennial, I DO want a boat to be like an Ikea showroom. I'm not a traditionalist or yearn for the past - I want the boat to be like the house I would have if I didn't buy the boat.

I don't think boats need to be like caves down below, dark and uninviting. I want bright, open space, big windows - I've used the phrase before that cruisers spend 95% of their time upright, at anchor/mooring so the boat needs to address and reflect these needs. I wouldn't have hardship if I bought a house, so why should I have to endure hardship when on the boat. It's going to be my home and I want lots of hot water, lots of dimming lights, A/C and the toys that make life easier.

I know many people on this forum love the old boats, tradition and "roughing" it because that's what cruisers have always done, but that's not me.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 04:21   #215
Registered User
 
Juho's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Finland
Boat: Nauticat 32
Posts: 974
Re: Cruising Sailboats: a Dying Breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
The big change came after 2008.... it took a few years but the anglophones simply vanished.... maybe something to do with the way different countries were affected by the GFM...

Finnish boat berthed next to us at the moment - Sarema - has done both the NW Passage and the NE Passage... heading for Antarctica and S Georgia now.... couple are +/- 70....... yes I think they like cold..
They seem to have a nice web page too, although only partly in English. https://www.sarema.fi/
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 05:05   #216
Registered User
 
Chotu's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Posts: 11,832
Re: Cruising Sailboats: a Dying Breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
So I'm in my 50's, getting back into sailing/cruising after a long absence. Last boat was a 40' footer, next year it will be a 60 footer. While I'm not a millennial, I DO want a boat to be like an Ikea showroom. I'm not a traditionalist or yearn for the past - I want the boat to be like the house I would have if I didn't buy the boat.

I don't think boats need to be like caves down below, dark and uninviting. I want bright, open space, big windows - I've used the phrase before that cruisers spend 95% of their time upright, at anchor/mooring so the boat needs to address and reflect these needs. I wouldn't have hardship if I bought a house, so why should I have to endure hardship when on the boat. It's going to be my home and I want lots of hot water, lots of dimming lights, A/C and the toys that make life easier.

I know many people on this forum love the old boats, tradition and "roughing" it because that's what cruisers have always done, but that's not me.


Exactly. You can have both. Why not?

A boat doesn't have to be ugly and uncomfortable to be seaworthy.

There is no need for life on the water to be uncomfortable and a hardship.

You don't need to live in dark, musty, old surroundings. Life on the water can be just as good as in an apartment. Why suffer needlessly?
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 07:56   #217
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kamloops, BC
Boat: 1999 Celestial 50
Posts: 45
Re: Cruising Sailboats: a Dying Breed?

Different boats for different folks. My goals are world cruising and crossing oceans. Even then I know I’ll be spending 90% of the time at anchor— but I’ll gladly give up that bright airy cabin for some decent handholds when I need them the other 10%.
saltfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:06   #218
Registered User
 
Chotu's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2018
Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Posts: 11,832
Re: Cruising Sailboats: a Dying Breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfree View Post
Different boats for different folks. My goals are world cruising and crossing oceans. Even then I know I’ll be spending 90% of the time at anchor— but I’ll gladly give up that bright airy cabin for some decent handholds when I need them the other 10%.
But you don't have to give up handholds to ha e a world cruising boat to cross oceans in.

Where did anyone come up with these ideas?

It's like the marine head. Holy cow what a stupid invention. We boat folks thin it's ok to have a complicated, stinky set of plumbing that clogs easily with bowls that often require you to have a "toilet knife" handy so you can cut it up and get it to fit down the tiny hole?

How about the holding tank is directly below the head and you use an RV head to gravity drop it in through a huge hole then have your choice of pumping out on deck or overboard? No plumbing except the pump out options. That's what I did. Works perfectly. I'll never have to deal with a marine head again.

Same goes for the entire boat. We are stuck in a bygone era of overly complicated, uncomfortable and ugly things. Those are not a prerequisite to a seaworthy boat.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:29   #219
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 500
Re: Cruising Sailboats: a Dying Breed?

Modern, spacious boats don't have to preclude handholds. I was on a Hanse a month back and counted 8 in the cockpit alone, plus another on the coachroof and on the t-top. Down below that more of the same - even the table had a long handhold on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfree View Post
Different boats for different folks. My goals are world cruising and crossing oceans. Even then I know I’ll be spending 90% of the time at anchor— but I’ll gladly give up that bright airy cabin for some decent handholds when I need them the other 10%.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:37   #220
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Boat: Hanse 531
Posts: 1,076
Images: 1
Re: Cruising Sailboats: a Dying Breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfree View Post
Different boats for different folks. My goals are world cruising and crossing oceans. Even then I know I’ll be spending 90% of the time at anchor— but I’ll gladly give up that bright airy cabin for some decent handholds when I need them the other 10%.
Here's not quite airy enough a cabin but the handholds are nice

Brenta 80DC:

https://youtu.be/GVt9u1V7DpI?t=46
__________________
Call me Mikael
nkdsailor.blog
mglonnro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:40   #221
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kamloops, BC
Boat: 1999 Celestial 50
Posts: 45
Re: Cruising Sailboats: a Dying Breed?

Specifically regarding s heads- yes there are plenty of modern alternatives to the traditional setup. Yours sounds like a good one. Simple is good. If the truly modern demand is for a freshwater, electric flush, then no thank you, not interested, because that is totally opposite to the KISS principle. Maybe in a two-head boat I’d consider having one electric and one manual, but if I can’t fix it myself and at least temporarily get things working with some Rescue Tape and some screws, well then, I guess I’m screwed... (or bucket and chuck it, I suppose).
But, I digress from my main point. I’ve sailed offshore in a beautiful, 2014 Beneteau 49; and a 1982 Kauffman 47. That Kauffman was set up for simplicity and repair ability, she sailed fast and comfortable. The Bene also sailed very fast, and was set up for offshore, but when conditions were less than ideal, things got uncomfortable. We didn’t have to do much beating to Windward (despite the speed, we added two additional days to our passage by rerouting to avoid sailing to Windward through some 35knot forecasted winds).
Which boat would I rather have my family of four crossing an ocean? The Kauffman, no question.
You and I have different philosophies on what makes us happy in a boat, and neither is likely to convince the other to change. Admittedly, I don’t want a 1960’s dark teak cave with no amenities either— all I’m saying is that as boat manufacterers of the “average” boat buyer’s dreams (yes, if money is no object, there are plenty of excellent, modern, fast, and safe Bluewater boats available) crank out a higher percentage of boats marketed at strictly coastal cruisers, then down the road, there will STILL only be ancient 70’s and 80’s designs available for the average Sailor with Bluewater dreams.
For the perfect example of what I mean, just look at the Stevens 47. That was a boat that mostly began its life intended for the Caribbean charter market, but because it was built to a different ethos, it is still (in MY opinion, of course!) and excellent Bluewater platform, especially compared to what is out there now in regards to boats being retired out of charter service.
saltfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:42   #222
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 500
Re: Cruising Sailboats: a Dying Breed?

Ok this is scary. I just spent the last 15 minutes looking for that video!

These are a superb idea, in any boat of any age. Look great, can be reached by shorter people and simple.


Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Here's not quite airy enough a cabin but the handholds are nice

Brenta 80DC:

https://youtu.be/GVt9u1V7DpI?t=46
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:44   #223
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Kamloops, BC
Boat: 1999 Celestial 50
Posts: 45
Re: Cruising Sailboats: a Dying Breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Here's not quite airy enough a cabin but the handholds are nice

Brenta 80DC:

https://youtu.be/GVt9u1V7DpI?t=46


Like I said, “if money were no object...” 🤣
saltfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:49   #224
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2015
Boat: Hanse 531
Posts: 1,076
Images: 1
Re: Cruising Sailboats: a Dying Breed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23iL23 View Post
Ok this is scary. I just spent the last 15 minutes looking for that video!

These are a superb idea, in any boat of any age. Look great, can be reached by shorter people and simple.
Great minds think alike!
__________________
Call me Mikael
nkdsailor.blog
mglonnro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:50   #225
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 500
Re: Cruising Sailboats: a Dying Breed?

Those handholds are not big money. Have a guy in Italy going to make 10 for me for €370. I call that a good deal for a great solution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltfree View Post


Like I said, “if money were no object...” 🤣
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising, sailboat, sail, boat, cruising sailboat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A new breed of sailor? weavis Multihull Sailboats 45 17-12-2014 18:07
Is the Cruising Lifestyle Dying ? Dudeman General Sailing Forum 164 11-01-2013 06:32
What Breed Is Your Sailing Dog? silver heels Families, Kids and Pets Afloat 101 02-11-2009 20:57
A different breed of cat? Nordic cat Multihull Sailboats 20 29-09-2008 17:55

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:25.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.