Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 10-01-2012, 19:41   #2776
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by christinekling View Post
You guys think that the Cruising Forum is an all boys club with your talk about finding nice subservient women in the DR or Thailand, or deeply-indebted-to-their-plastic-surgeons grammas in Brazil?

You know there are some sailing women around here who choose to sail solo because exactly because men think like that.

The likelihood that you are going to find a gorgeous younger woman from any country who will think you are always right and will be willing to live on $500/month -

is about as likely as it is that I am going to find a man who loves to sail as much as I do, has an income of $500/month to add to the cruising kitty, can fit all his gear into a duffle bag, and is willing to let me be the captain. :-)

Damn.... I used to have $500 and a Dream... now I've only money...
Ahh well...
Christine...
Do you have long thigh length boots like ZeeHag...????
Dream On....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiot' of the West still pays for the beat of the Apartheid Drum.
Old 10-01-2012, 19:47   #2777

Boat: William Garden pilothouse ketch 60' LOA.
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
You guys think that the Cruising Forum is an all boys club with your talk about finding nice subservient women in the DR or Thailand, or deeply-indebted-to-their-plastic-surgeons grammas in Brazil?

You know there are some sailing women around here who choose to sail solo because exactly because men think like that.

The likelihood that you are going to find a gorgeous younger woman from any country who will think you are always right and will be willing to live on $500/month -

is about as likely as it is that I am going to find a man who loves to sail as much as I do, has an income of $500/month to add to the cruising kitty, can fit all his gear into a duffle bag, and is willing to let me be the captain. :-)
Right on girl you go..That's where I'm comming from.I have lee bit more then $500 a month but until I find a woman and I mean woman that can put with her own **** and mind as well and still laugh.Well tell then I'll just sail a lone.
Old 10-01-2012, 19:53   #2778

Boat: Fantasia 35

Quote:

Believe or not -- we are not all like that. Mostly it's just the way we talk to hide how needy we are.

Happy sailing,

Paul
Old 10-01-2012, 20:00   #2779

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
. . . is about as likely as it is that I am going to find a man who loves to sail as much as I do, has an income of $500/month to add to the cruising kitty, can fit all his gear into a duffle bag, and is willing to let me be the captain. :-)
Actually, finding a suitable someone is not gender restricted in those places. But finding one with an independent source of income of $500/mo is a non-starter. That amount of money can be about a half-year's income for them. It is more realistic for many "other reasons" to just visit and be buddies for a period of time and then move on - unless you are willing to get into a rat's nest of bureaucratic complications and expenses. And, IMHO, a real $500 per month budget cruiser is most probably would not be able to afford those problems.
Old 10-01-2012, 20:09   #2780

Boat: Naval Yachts XPM-78
Send a message via Skype™ to christinekling

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Damn.... I used to have $500 and a Dream... now I've only money...
Ahh well...
Christine...
Do you have long thigh length boots like ZeeHag...????
Dream On....
Boatman61 - sorry, no long thigh length boots. And I've found that men who claim they "have money" are usually trying to make up for a shortage of something else.
Old 10-01-2012, 20:10   #2781

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbillca View Post
Right on girl you go..That's where I'm comming from.I have lee bit more then $500 a month but until I find a woman and I mean woman that can put with her own **** and mind as well and still laugh.Well tell then I'll just sail a lone.
Good luck with finding a woman who will mind . . . or was that a Freudian slip?
Old 10-01-2012, 20:11   #2782

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifty360 View Post
So far read the first 20 pages of this interesting thread.

Question. Regarding food, does anyone like to sprout their own ming beans etc? What experience do you cruisers have with this, or any other innovative gardening type things. Ried Stowe ate a lot of sprouts on his 1000+ days at sea "mars oddysea"
I sprout mung beans an alfalfa, and if times are tough, lentils. Been doing it for years. I just sprout in a plastic jar with a screen over the top.
Old 10-01-2012, 20:15   #2783

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Good luck with finding a woman who will mind . . . or was that a Freudian slip?
Speaking of Freudian slips -
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinekling
. . . and is willing to let me be the captain. :-)

The problem with being an "in-command" kind of person is getting others to recognize/acknowledge it and be able to live with it.
Old 10-01-2012, 20:24   #2784

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Problem in the Dominican Republic is there are too many choices of willing women. Here is an example - she works in the Luperon Puerto Blanco marina:
Sorry about your luck
Old 10-01-2012, 20:24   #2785

Quote:

There's obviously a few sailing women around. Even right here where I'm at. But not many younger ones (like 20 somethings). They are certainly out there, hopefully not already singlehanding their own boat But, there's no doubt they are few and far between in the US. Trust me, I'm looking I meet new girls all the time, but the majority of them have no interest in leaving their home, an if they do, they want to do it with a little more luxury than a 30 foot sailboat can provide. It's not a generalization, it's reality...

As for subservient girls who always think I'm right and willing to live on $500 a month...that's not what I'm interested in (although it would be nice ). But a nice young girl who is accustomed to a lower standard of living, and willing to travel on a small boat, seems to be much easier to find outside of the US.

Also, a woman stereo-typing women? please...
Old 10-01-2012, 20:25   #2786

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Speaking of Freudian slips -
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinekling
. . . and is willing to let me be the captain. :-)

Osirissail - What in the world would make you think that's a slip?

I've been sailing for more than 30 years -- sailed from CA to NZ and back, through Panama, up and down the east coast from Maine to Venezuela, done deliveries, charters, etc. Owned my own boat and been captain of her for 7 years now. I no more want to be somebody's first mate than you do.

And to get this back on topic, I recently retired and I'm trying to do this on a very wee bit more than $500/month. The problem with that budget is keeping the boat going. Even if you take a pass on some of the more elaborate systems like refrigeration, a single hander really needs a good autopilot and I haven't got a reliable one at the moment. My sails are on their last legs. How do you save up enough money to refurbish the gear that wears out if you're trying to cruise on that slight an amount? That, I'd really like to know.
Old 10-01-2012, 20:28   #2787

Quote:
And to get this back on topic, I recently retired and I'm trying to do this on a very wee bit more than $500/month. The problem with that budget is keeping the boat going. Even if you take a pass on some of the more elaborate systems like refrigeration, a single hander really needs a good autopilot and I haven't got a reliable one at the moment. My sails are on their last legs. How do you save up enough money to refurbish the gear that wears out if you're trying to cruise on that slight an amount? That, I'd really like to know.
It requires not cruising full-time. You just gotta take breaks to build the kitty back up. This is apparently a problem for the "real" cruisers, who think that sitting in an anchorage for a 6 months to a year, doesn't count as cruising
Old 10-01-2012, 20:30   #2788

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

Quote:

I suppose finding all that and her being a deaf mute, whose father owns a liquor store is out of the question?

Brad

PS Plastic is for boats not women
Old 10-01-2012, 20:36   #2789

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse74 View Post
I suppose finding all that and her being a deaf mute, whose father owns a liquor store is out of the question?
Yeah, about as likely as my guy will be a certified diesel mechanic who's a danger on the dance floor.
Old 10-01-2012, 20:38   #2790

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Boatman61 - sorry, no long thigh length boots. And I've found that men who claim they "have money" are usually trying to make up for a shortage of something else.
OK, I have no money then... lol.

Tags
cruising