Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 03:32   #2941
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
DOJ say's you are more then likely a bit of a introvert to sail. I disagree, Mark J isn't, I don't think I am, And I don't think DOJ is either. Ask and Ye shall receive, but if you don't ask no one knows your looking. Right!
Not to quibble, but ()........

.....not sure if I was meaning to say someone needs to be an introvert (but can of course be that, or anything else), more that someone needs to have a focused mindset - my quip about not being good with others wasn't aimed at anyone specific, more a case that to be happy solo / being on a serious budget do need to be content with being fairly self-contained - and that may involve (but not automatically so) being on the more "does not mix well with others" end of the spectrum.

Of course I could be wrong. that's happened before .
Old 01-03-2012, 03:47   #2942
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
I suspect that you may be right and wrong at the same time, depending if you are using the every day definition (shy) or the psychology definition (a person characterized by concern primarily with his or her own thoughts and feelings)

I think that DOJ is using the psychological defenition, just read any of his posts - he is speaking to his intended auidence, himself. Many introverts present an outgoing, even bombastic image as a way of keeping the irelevant (other people and the environment) away. This is a common defence/ coping stratagy that cause others to misinterpret, some thing that rarely concerns them. DOJ thinks a lot more than most give him credit for.

I would sugest that many cruisers are introverts, prehaps more than realize
Sometimes a lot of thought goes into my comments . Sometimes not very much .....and sometimes both of those approaches go into the same post!

DOJ talking to himself? Yeah, I am aware of that - but it's the only way I can get any sense around here .

FWIW, seeing I am on the couch , DOJ is really only one element of my real life personna - sometimes exaggerated, sometimes not .....hey, I am old school internet - I don't feel that everything has to be 100% true.

In real life I am even more of an acquired / minority taste - albeit perhaps for different reasons. Certainly I have always used humour to keep a distance from people and in my case, "does not mix well with others" is fairly accurate, not to say that not perfectly able to deal with folks - especially when self-interest comes into play. But mostly with folks I simply can't be bothered, but I can fake otherwise with the best of 'em. Internet allows me to switch people on and off .
Old 01-03-2012, 08:15   #2943

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Not to quibble, but ()........

.....not sure if I was meaning to say someone needs to be an introvert (but can of course be that, or anything else), more that someone needs to have a focused mindset - my quip about not being good with others wasn't aimed at anyone specific, more a case that to be happy solo / being on a serious budget do need to be content with being fairly self-contained - and that may involve (but not automatically so) being on the more "does not mix well with others" end of the spectrum.

Of course I could be wrong. that's happened before .
Point taken!
I could have used a better word then introvert.

I was just trying to explain you need to come out of your shell (so to speak) and mingle with the locals. They know the best places to shop and the best restaurants to eat at. Reasonably too!
They also know the best way to see the sites and what sites to see and where not to go!
Old 01-03-2012, 13:41   #2944
Eternal Member

Boat: 30' William Atkin cutter
Send a message via ICQ to wolfenzee

There is a significant differance between cruising on $500/mo for a moth or two compared to a 6mo or 12mo or cruising full time.
Old 01-03-2012, 13:57   #2945

Boat: O'Day 28

Yep. Anyone can live on the hook cheaply. Traveling takes cash. That's not to say there aren't some hard-core guys here that can sail very frugally. I think it's been agreed on many times in this thread that most of us want to have a little more fun/flexibility than that.
Old 01-03-2012, 23:44   #2946

Boat: Tartan 30

What exactly costs extra when travelling from one anchorage to the next?
Old 01-03-2012, 23:58   #2947
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Sometimes a lot of thought goes into my comments . Sometimes not very much .....and sometimes both of those approaches go into the same post!

DOJ talking to himself? Yeah, I am aware of that - but it's the only way I can get any sense around here .

FWIW, seeing I am on the couch , DOJ is really only one element of my real life personna - sometimes exaggerated, sometimes not .....hey, I am old school internet - I don't feel that everything has to be 100% true.

In real life I am even more of an acquired / minority taste - albeit perhaps for different reasons. Certainly I have always used humour to keep a distance from people and in my case, "does not mix well with others" is fairly accurate, not to say that not perfectly able to deal with folks - especially when self-interest comes into play. But mostly with folks I simply can't be bothered, but I can fake otherwise with the best of 'em. Internet allows me to switch people on and off .
Very, very honest statement,But, is it 100% true? I hate to say this, because some of your comments make me think, this guy is a moron, then, some of them make me laugh out loud, and now, after that post, bloody hell, i am thinking that you are more like me than anyone i have talked to. Do i salute you, and therefore me, or do i commit suicide?

Coops.
Old 01-03-2012, 23:59   #2948

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Fuel, wear and tear on motor, and/or wear and tear on sails and rigging
Visas, permits

However there are potential savings on moorings, marinas, spending on land based activities
Old 02-03-2012, 02:07   #2949
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfenzee View Post
There is a significant differance between cruising on $500/mo for a moth or two compared to a 6mo or 12mo or cruising full time.
+1

Was a longer response - but "scheduled maintanence" ate it .
Old 02-03-2012, 05:35   #2950

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post

From what I've seen on noonsite entry/exit fees and cruising fees will eat a good part of the $500.00 budget. So it's best to have them before you leave for a new destination.
French territories seem to be better then English if you are French
After fess and provisions you only have a small amount to live on. So better plan wisely and cheaply.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:55   #2951

Boat: Tartan 30

so 'travel' only counts if your moving from one country to another? I know the whole 'real cruisers' mantra, but I don't buy into that way of thinking. I could spend 6 months in the Bahama's and only pay the fee once. Or Panama, or Guatamala, or wherever.... If you're going from one country to the next every month or two, IMO you are on vacation. $500 a month cruisers simply can't do it that way. So get over it now before you're dreams are crushed by reality. It doesn't mean we can't cruise or travel, it just means it has to be done a bit differently, and IMO more thoroughly

On budgeting, when you know you will have 'extra' expenses, you must save for them beforehand. If I can pay $200 a month slip rent right now, then when I move onto anchor this summer, I'll be able to save that $200 a month. in 6 months when I'm ready to leave, that's $1200 I can allocate to entry fee's. As for extra fuel costs, it depends on where you're going. If I decide to go down the ICW, it will certainly be expensive and my motor would need to be tip-top. So I'm working on that now... But If I sailed from here to the Bahama's (or FL, or wherever I decide to go) It won't cost any more fuel than normal daysailing/weekending for the same period of time. We've already talked about how budgeteers must sail as much as possible, so doesn't that mean the motor maintainence shouldn't exceed 'normal' wear.

As for the extra wear and tear on a boat that is moving, aside from stitching up a sail once in a while, possibly replacing the anchor rode a year or two sooner, what other repairs/wear and tear is there that go above and beyond regular maintenance?

I think there's still a question of what 'cruising' is. Can you 'cruise' on $500 a month? Depends... Depends on how you view cruising, where you are going, and how well prepared you are. Can you prep a boat on $500 a month? Not very quickly IMO, but it's still possible, it could just take a few years...

I don't think anyone should expect 3 year circumnavigation on $500 a month (unless you're really hardcore, but then you wouldn't need this thread to begin with ) Or to travel the entire caribbean or south pacific in a single season. Start thinking more slowly. Travel to a country and spend a year (or more) there, find work during the off-season and move on the next year. There are plenty of people here who would not consider that 'cruising', but their opinion isn't going to stop me.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:34   #2952

Quote:
so 'travel' only counts if your moving from one country to another? I know the whole 'real cruisers' mantra, but I don't buy into that way of thinking. I could spend 6 months in the Bahama's and only pay the fee once. Or Panama, or Guatamala, or wherever.... If you're going from one country to the next every month or two, IMO you are on vacation. $500 a month cruisers simply can't do it that way. So get over it now before you're dreams are crushed by reality. It doesn't mean we can't cruise or travel, it just means it has to be done a bit differently, and IMO more thoroughly
The problem I have found is that most countries put a time limit on how long you can cruise their waters. The Bahamas I believe are 90 days as are most countries in the South Pacific. That doesn't mean you can't get a extension but that will cost you also.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:02   #2953

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

IMHO, if you skimmed the first 1000 posts you will have gathered about all there is to say about the subject of this thread. After that it is just recycling and restating what went before - maybe in different words or ways. But that is the nature of any forum - just like "bull-sessions" around some beers or rum - free thought and opinions on subjects without any requirement to rigidly adhere to a specific theme. And usually, there are nuggets of new knowledge or ideas slipping their way into the discussion as time goes by.

Basically, I see, "Cruising on $500 per Month . . ." as a difference in perception and personal lifestyle requirements - and heavily influenced by geographical location.

Obviously, staying inside your home countries borders eliminates considerable expenses related to international entry/departure costs. But then again if you are in a high cost of living country that is a major factor in trying to stay under budget.

As a single-hander actively cruising the Caribbean my monthly food costs (including significant "eating/drinking out" with the locals) averaged about US$250/month. Add a "significant other" to that and the food cost average doubled. Move back into the USA and the average food costs doubled again.

One of the major factors I see is the availability of too much variety in foodstuffs in a major 1st world country - most of it rather expensive and not really needed for basic healthy nutrition. Eating and cooking for one is probably the most basic and uncomplicated process. Add another person and the desire to "improve" the meals and "impress" your mate might add up to added cost and complexity.

As the saying goes, Location, location, location is a significant factor in any success. Get away from complex and hyper-involved social environments and back into simple agrarian based societies and costs of eating plummet. And in my opinion the quality and healthfulness increases.

Stay away from high tourist centered areas also drops the prices of things dramatically.

So cruising on $500 per month is definitely not impossible and very do-able - but your personal life-style choices may make it sort of impossible for you - but for somebody else? No, they can do it and be quite content and happy. How they do it, is what is in those first 1000 posts.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:34   #2954

Boat: O'Day 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
IMHO, if you skimmed the first 1000 posts you will have gathered about all there is to say about the subject of this thread.
Yeah. I've sworn off this thread several times already. Too old to argue.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:38   #2955

Boat: Haida 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
IMHO, if you skimmed the first 1000 posts you will have gathered about all there is to say about the subject of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
Yeah. I've sworn off this thread several times already. Too old to argue.
Me too!! it's time this thing dies, but I still keep on reading. Michael
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising