Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.10 average. Display Modes
Old 25-02-2012, 19:12   #2911

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran
Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Oh yea, let's turn this into an anchor thread! How about we add guns too? All within the $500 budget of course.
Old 25-02-2012, 19:14   #2912

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

I confess to trolling with that comment.
Old 25-02-2012, 19:36   #2913

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
I confess to trolling with that comment.
I know, I'm just stirring the pot.
Old 25-02-2012, 19:57   #2914

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers

Dude, I'm screwed. Couple of IDPA matches would blow my monthy budget.
Old 25-02-2012, 21:14   #2915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Oh yea, let's turn this into an anchor thread! How about we add guns too? All within the $500 budget of course.
$500 and guns, get real. How about bows and arrows, cheaper, less regulations ... Penetrates kevlar body suits better so you can deal with well equipted pirates .. Hunt pigs but you will need to learn how to smoke sides of pork cause you dont have a frezer. Kill sea gulls that are cr*ping on the deck. Clearly the soloution to all problems
Old 26-02-2012, 07:50   #2916

Boat: Buccaneer 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
$500 and guns, get real. How about bows and arrows, cheaper, less regulations ... Penetrates kevlar body suits better so you can deal with well equipted pirates .. Hunt pigs but you will need to learn how to smoke sides of pork cause you dont have a frezer. Kill sea gulls that are cr*ping on the deck. Clearly the soloution to all problems
I'm a little concerned about where those arrows are going to end up when you miss the seagull.
I can see it now, arrows sticking out of pylons all over the marina.

I guess I'm going to have to get a metal boat.

wait, what was this thread about again.

Scott
Old 26-02-2012, 08:31   #2917

pirate Re: Cruising on $500 per Month . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwaiting View Post
Now we're back on point: Lo cost food! I wonder if Janet Grone has a recipe for seagull off-the-wing? If you are hungry enough, a grilled flying rat might actually taste ok. I'll bet they have been eaten by voyagers. Probably want to soak them like herring to cut down on the salt. Or "dry them in strips in the rigging."

When you think about it, a couple of nice clean adult white rats in a cage wouldn't take up much space and would offer a continuing source of young succulent meat items to go with all those sprouts the $17 dollar-a-day cruiser will be eating. Fed thoughtfully, the meat items could be made to taste. Wouldn't even need utensils to eat 'em with that long tail. Be sure to get a male and female. Don't take the clerk's word for it.

Chow
tg
3rd world cruiser
Old 26-02-2012, 08:45   #2918

Boat: Gib sea 43

I think we should enter this thread in the Guinness book of records, it must be one of the longest running most viewed threads on the planet!

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
Old 26-02-2012, 08:56   #2919

As to anchors and guns, I don't think you can afford much ammunition on $500 a month! Decent 5.56 mm is about 50 cents a pop and a full mag a day will be over $450 a month!

I'm sure it keeps going since everyone would like to cruise on less than $500.00!
Old 26-02-2012, 10:14   #2920
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Now we're back on point: Lo cost food! I wonder if Janet Grone has a recipe for seagull off-the-wing? If you are hungry enough, a grilled flying rat might actually taste ok. I'll bet they have been eaten by voyagers. Probably want to soak them like herring to cut down on the salt. Or "dry them in strips in the rigging."

When you think about it, a couple of nice clean adult white rats in a cage wouldn't take up much space and would offer a continuing source of young succulent meat items to go with all those sprouts the $17 dollar-a-day cruiser will be eating. Fed thoughtfully, the meat items could be made to taste. Wouldn't even need utensils to eat 'em with that long tail. Be sure to get a male and female. Don't take the clerk's word for it.
I have eaten alot of birds and animals in my life, mostly when I was teaching wilderness survival and did not have a choice. I don't know if you could get a seagull as easily as you could fish, and fish would be my first choice. As for Rats, I would build me a rabbit hutch off my pushpit first and let it eat my vege scraps. Rabbit is OK, and you can make useful things out of the pelts too. Broiled rabbit is better than chicken IMHO.
Old 26-02-2012, 11:35   #2921

Boat: mt34dt

A .22 rifle, shot gun, or pellet gun would provide plenty of squirrel and bird traveling the icw. Cast net, oyster rake, and crab trap would also come in handy. I like the rabbit on board save for all the $hit
Old 26-02-2012, 11:56   #2922

Great idea Zeta, I can see the Chicago cops rushing in while I shoot the pigeons along the wall....

I thinking, maybe a chicken cope hanging from the radar arch, fresh eggs without a fridge! Potted plants in hanging baskets from the life lines for a dinner salad and spices for the occassional chicken dinner
Old 27-02-2012, 05:51   #2923

Boat: Tartan 30

Quote:
Now that was some fun reading! Seriously.

I don't cook which is not to say I eat out but that I eat poorly. Bring on the SIMPLE recipies. And I'm guessing you guys don't have refrigeration. Best to start a new thread.

Women have cost me a fortune. Not so the dog. Sex is about the same: no dehumidifier needed.

I have the same Walmart ( I swear I hate them too) cellphone deal as CMCrazy, tho I have some limits at $33/mo with net access. A great deal.

CMC: "In the next week or two I'll be buying a $350 anchor."

As everyone on CF knows, Rocna is BY FAR the best anchor. It's 50 times better than a Bruce. Maybe 150 times.

I now bump the thread that will not die.
tgzzzz, you can now get the sim card by itself from straighttalksim.com to fit any gsm phone. I got an att card for my 3 year old iphone that I've been using on tmobile with 2g speeds for the last 2 years... the att cards are not limited the way the others are. Used to be you had to buy the straighttalk att phone and cut the card down to fit other phones to get the same result. ST phones run on different carriers so the service is not the same depending on which phone you buy, so it's much better this way with the att card and an unlocked or att phone.
Old 27-02-2012, 06:54   #2924

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
tgzzzz, you can now get the sim card by itself from straighttalksim.com to fit any gsm phone. I got an att card for my 3 year old iphone that I've been using on tmobile with 2g speeds for the last 2 years... the att cards are not limited the way the others are. Used to be you had to buy the straighttalk att phone and cut the card down to fit other phones to get the same result. ST phones run on different carriers so the service is not the same depending on which phone you buy, so it's much better this way with the att card and an unlocked or att phone.
Damn! I understood about 95% of that. Thanks. There's hope for me yet. That was how I moved up to a smartphone initially: it was the only one offering Verizon service which out here on the fringe works far better than the others. Ya gotta love Straight Talk. No more shocking phone bills. Net on the go and on the cheap.
Old 29-02-2012, 02:09   #2925
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Dogs can't help pay the bills... if you require committed companionship, get a girlfriend.
Sage advice indeed ().

FWIW, one thing I have taken from this thread is that it takes a certain type of person to undertake such a mission and they need to be determined / singleminded / focused / a bit mental - the downside of having this ability is that may not mix well with groups. or any people .
Closed Thread

Tags
cruising