Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-08-2018, 09:23   #16

Boat: Catalina 470
Re: Cruising and the aging sailor

Age is just a number, it's more about your physical ability. Some people are "old" at 50, others still strong and able at 80. Me personally, I have similar plans to yours, and I'm 52 now. Hope to be out cruising in a couple of years, already have the boat, a Morgan 462, and am busy getting it ready to live aboard before we start cruising. Also in the Fort Lauderdale area, so if you want to grab a beer sometime and compare notes, just drop me a PM and we can exchange contact info.

Regards,
David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 09:33   #17

Boat: '82 Mikawa MKII 30'

"Old sailors never die; they just get a little dinghy".....says it!
Matsubob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 09:38   #18

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS

First, skip the keys, go to the Bahamas and keep going. I'm 71, living aboard. It's not always easy, and I feel my limits - mainly endurance. Mechanical advantage makes a difference. Along with an electric windlass, I have a electric winch for the main halyard; great help when reefing, and also serves to pick up the outboard for longer passages. Electric heads are also more than just a luxury. When I lived in the Virgin Islands I saw a 96 year old single handing a 110' schooner; he had come from England. Everything was electric.
Alec H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 09:39   #19

I am 81, I no longer try to do destination cruising (Bahamas etc.) but if the weather allows I'm out doing day sailing about 4 hrs/trip . By the way I single hand.
dockgoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 09:57   #20

Boat: Bristol 35.5 1978

Here is additional evidence of what has been already mentioned regarding sailing into your 6th, 7th, 8th, and ... decade of life. Jeanne S epitomizes that chronological age is only a number and not a limiter of activity or adventure. She is working on another unassisted, non-stop, solo circumnavigation from the Pacific NW..
https://svnereida.com
Hoodsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 10:08   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
......evaluate your balance issues, if any, with great care.....

Ann

This ^^^^^^^^

These days age can be just a number depending on the individual but physical limitations can occur earlier for some than for others.

We are all different.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 10:24   #22

Boat: olsen / ericson 34

I like the positive reactions from the posters....

I am 78, and still sailing and heading back down to bare boat the BVI in May of 2019.

As to cruising, why not try some coastal sailing first, and then head over and ( as mentioned ) sail the Bahamas, Abacos, and those islands and see how it goes.

All is well, and you feel good, healthy and competent and motivated, keep on sailing .

One person mentioned changing down a head sail in rough weather at night.

Just one of our personal rules, We changed down to a smaller jib at sunset. Or in the case of the roller snarler, re-position the the jib sheet blocks forward for a 110% or smaller jib sail, roll in and re trim . No worries about a pitching deck at night.

However, the situation for here, is that I have Erica, an excellent sailor, along, and so we have a viable crew of two. ( three plus decades )

Also, we have to sensible about our future sailing. We actually do not know how much longer I am going to be able to handle my sailing duties .

The plan at this time, is to sail the BVI next may, I will be 79, and then take stock of the situation.

We may do a change of course and start road trips thru our southwestern and western states. I have seen more of the world than my own country and there are many beautiful works of mother nature awaiting and neat people to meet.

Just a thought, and yes you should have some good years ahead of you, but that depends on fitness, and knowledge, and determination and a well found vessel.

Agree with taking it step by step, coastal , the bahamas, then island hop the caribbean. If it feels right , just keep on hopping.
Lihuedooley77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 10:48   #23
DKA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don55 View Post
My previous sailing experience has been limited to lakes and protected inlets on small sailboats. My biggest adventure so far was a few years ago when I bought Renacer (rebirth in Spanish) a 1979 Cape Dory 28 in Jacksonville and brought her down the ICW to Fort Lauderdale, where I now live. Her renovations are almost complete. In two days I turn 63. I have a dream to sail the Keys, Bahamas, and Caribbean in retirement two years from now. My encouragement has come from Reese Pawley, sailor and author who advocates sailing as a life extending activity for old people. A work acquaintance of mine of similar age and interests has just sold his Cape Dory 36 in order to buy a Ranger 29 Tug to use in retirement. So my question to you good people is how do you feel about sailing in your golden years? Keep at it as a safe and healthy activity or ditch it for the comfort of power boating? There is no right answer for everybody of course, just that I’m having the occasional doubt.
You are not old at 63 or 65 !!!! We are 77 and 75 respectively and spend our winters in the Bahamas on our 40' sailboat !! Many of our friends are of a similar age and all are active sailors ..... one of the oldest being an. 89 year old single hander lady !! Get out there and just do it !!!! Cheers .
DKA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 11:31   #24

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Sailing will keep you healthy. You're just a kid. Look at the general physical health between sailors and those on motor yachts. Always an exception to the rule, of course.
Go for it.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 11:45   #25

Boat: Paceship Py 26 26.6

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan6a View Post
I solo circumnavigated in a 29 foot sailboat at 65, am still cruising. I will be 84 next week.
WOW!!! you give me hope that I can still keep solo sailing
and race once a week on a 27ft ,my doc says keep on
doing it that's what is keeping me young and fit.
If he is right,then maybe I am not nuts being out in
some of the weather conditions.
High Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 12:28   #26

Boat: Paceship Py 26 26.6

Quote:
I solo circumnavigated in a 29 foot sailboat at 65, am still cruising. I will be 84 next week.
You give me hope.I solo 27ft, cruising as well as a once week race.Some weather conditions make me think Iam nuts.My doc says keep going as that's what is keeping me young and fit.82 last Jan.
High Pointer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 12:28   #27

Boat: Boatless

As an older cruiser, almost 70, and about to sail Japan to Alaska and a retired doctor I do not feel that age is limiting but that disease is very limiting. You need to get a complete medical work-up before you leave the American Medical system including colonoscopy and a cardiac stress test.

While many cruisers praise medical care in other countries I do not share their view when it comes to serious medical problems. Yes, care is often cheap but when it comes to serious problems you need to be in a ‘first world country!’

I have organized three medical evacuations from Panama, Mexico and the Caribbean and in two of the cases, a cardiac problem and a serious infection the local care was very poor.

If you are of Medicare age there is a Medicare supplement policy that provides $50,000 of care outside the US...From memory it is supplement F.

You should also carry medical repatriation insurance, we get our’s from DAN the scuba insurance company, they now have a sailor’s policy.

A friend who burst his appendix in Panama was handed a $43,000 bill.

Enjoy your retirement.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 12:48   #28

Boat: Freedom 32

To remove any remaining misgivings after reading these comments get a copy of "Call of the Ancient Mariner". That will solve the rest.

https://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...l_71b3te6ir1_e
gulfcoastsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 13:24   #29

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey DS43

Going 70 and no plans to quit the wonderful life. Just being a little more careful with weather and routings.
Just live tour dream!
Chalifour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2018, 13:39   #30

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Happy Birthday matey!!!

And Don55... My grandmother, on her 95th birthday, turned to me and said... "I guess I'm ready for middle age now!"

So, get out there you youngster!

Tags
cruising, sail