Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2018, 13:25   #16

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Critique my atrocious tacking

I’d recommend not tying the reef lines around the boom if possible.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 13:30   #17

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I’d recommend not tying the reef lines around the boom if possible.
The reefing lines, assuming you mean the ones for bunch up the excess sail, are not tied around the boom, but it might appear that they are in a few of the photos.
Ryban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 14:44   #18

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Ryban, take a good look at the bottom left pic. (And, thanks for posting them.) Look at the luff of the mainsail. See that shallow scalloped appearance? That is what I was talking about, and you are right, the halyard does need to be tighter.

The topping lift should be loose under way, not all the way off, unless you don't mind re-attaching it before you drop the sail, just not tight.

You know how people are always talking about balancing the boat for use with the wind steering? What it means does make it easier for the wind pilot, but it also means having similar sail area up between the main and the headsail.

You might want to invest in a book about sail trim. It will in the end help you immensely to understand how to set her up well, and increase your pleasure in the sailing aspect of what you want to attempt.

Ann
Old 16-05-2018, 17:26   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryban View Post
The reefing lines, assuming you mean the ones for bunch up the excess sail, are not tied around the boom, but it might appear that they are in a few of the photos.
Oh yeah I see now, I was looking on my phone screen before. Yeah as Ann says the main luff was too loose. And are you sure that headsail is a 150 there? It looks like the headsail's luff tension could have used a boost too. On my hank-on headsail it is easy to see the luff tension but not always so clear with roller furling. It's also hard to see the main's reef clew cringle, it's be nice to see the angle on it there to see if it is being pulled aft well. Looks like a beautiful day! Judging from my experience with my similar waterline, I think you should get closer to 6 knots on a day like that judging from the photos. How is she loaded? I got 6 outa mine in a choppy day but it was only gusting up to 20.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 16-05-2018, 17:36   #20

Quote:
Ugh. I'm a terrible sailor.
No, I wouldn't agree with that!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 16-05-2018, 17:52   #21

Boat: Valiant 40

I think your main looks pretty damn flat, even with a bit of looseness in the luff. Gotta love new sails!

One thing to try when you're in similar circumstances, and if you get a blade jib, it it tighten up the halyard but to keep some fullness in the main to punch through waves. That would entail loosening the vang (can't see if you have that hard on or not) and/or mainsheet and raising the traveller to keep the boom centered. You'll get a bit more consistent power, maybe loose a degree of heading, but probably keep the boat moving better through the seas and overall better VMG. Experiment!

It always comes down to playing with what your boat will do in various conditions. It's why good racers are happy to continually play with settings, trying this and trying that, to dial in their boat for changing wind and water.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2018, 19:08   #22

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

Quote:
Yes, both my sails are new(ish). The genny was made a year ago, and now has over 1,000 miles on it. The main was made about 5 months ago, and has close to 500 miles on it.

I think halyard tension is the major issue, as evident in the photos I've attached. Possibly also the position of the reefing points along the boom? but that I'm less sure about.

I have a cunningham on some tackle, but I usually don't have much play on the track to get significant tension here. Also, the bulk of the sail down where the reefing cringle meets the hook makes the tension angle a little awkward and might be making the slider down there jam.

Looking at these photo's (didn't see them last time) I would say the main is fine (with topping lift off!) but it looks like the sheeting angle on the headsail is quite wide. You may point better if you can haul it inboard 6-12". Having said that looking at the sea state you are probably asking a lot to get good windward performance in that, it is pretty rough. Even if you could point up it would be an ugly ride! I think you where doing well to get anywhere.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote