Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Northwest Passage or Panama Canal?
Northwest Passage 2 6.06%
Panama Canal 31 93.94%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2023, 15:10   #31

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Crazy question - NW Passage vs. Panama

The ancient Norse version of hell is all cold and ice....

Preparation costs and time for NWP are extreme, and the dangers of that environment far exceed that of Panama.

600 mi on he wind can be unpleasant, but you sort of get used to it. Jim and I did 6,800 on the wind, in 1987, Bora Bora to HI to CA. The boat was a good one to weather.

Panama will be an interesting experience, be careful about your mosquito prophylaxis, and prepare to sweat a lot!

Another alternative is to buy in Europe, deliver to the east coast US. You will not enjoy using a forward head while going to windward, unless you are bullet proof as to mal de mer.

Ann
Old 23-03-2023, 15:29   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

The cold weather alone would be a no-no for me, being as that I'm a shorts and t-shirt kind of guy....
Doing the NW passage pretty much dictates you sleep in your foulies...no thanks !!
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 15:55   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Having done both, I'd recommend Panama, for all the reasons already named. Also, if you cruise east toward Colombia from Panama, and jump off from Cartagena to Honduras, it's a nice broad reach. From there to Yucatan is NBD, and it's a quick hop to Florida with a good weather window.
Old 27-03-2023, 07:38   #34

Hi Folks, another consideration comes to mind which is actually getting to the NW Passage from PNW. I have not done this but know a member of Bluewater Sailing out of Victoria BC who planned a trip to Japan via Alaska that is when I spoke with him. Knowing that route is mostly a beat, I was not surprised that he ended up going via Hawaii in order to ride prevailing favorable winds.

To the questioner from the PNW; keep this in mind. It is not a simple passage to sail via the Gulf of Alaska to Kodiak Island, Dutch Harbour and on to the Bering Strait before heading north to Barrow, Alaska.

Suggest the alternatives. Either join the annual gaggle to coast crawl to San Diego and join the Ha Ha to La Pas and on to Panama or truck the vessel from Seattle or Bellingham to the Gulf or Atlantic Coast. Either that or go west about taking two or three seasons.
argonauta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 08:01   #35

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

I would call ATL in Virgil Ontario and ask for a quote on the next back-haul from the west coast to the east. Cheaper, faster apart from the wait for the opportunity. They do this all the time.
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 08:24   #36

I was not aware you had to travel east to west in the NW Passage. Could you explain a bit please? Not planning to go there, just curious.
dpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 10:18   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Roberts V495

Original OP question - go Panama, the NWP is a serious, life threatening challenge - the Panama is not.
- yacht shipping. PNW to Carribbean is a routine affair, figure on $15k, no worry about boat height/width.

IMO, you should just go buy a half decent older 40-45 ft fiberglass sailboat in Trinadad/Granada and figure out weither family shares your passion, before going for your world cruiser. A Kelly-Peterson 44 would meet your family needs, be an easy resell should you decide to do so…..or keep & go afar if you get a good one.

Also in my opinion - a cutter with roller furling on both foresails is more user friendly than having a second mast/rigging/boomed sail.
nofacey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 13:38   #38

Boat: currently boatless and looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
Just a dumb question. The ONLY reason for even contemplating the NW Passage is you want an extraordinarily difficult challenge to overcome. Boats passage Panama literally every day. If that is “overwhelming “ to you, you are not ready to take a sailboat out in the ocean.
...nasty response.
Hope you're proud of yourself.
FoxIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 14:12   #39

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44 Ofshore

Going via Panama, you will have company nearby. NW Passage, if you need assistance for some reason, it might be a long time waiting. Also no marinas up there, for quite a lot ways. Definitely shipping will be easier, and maybe considerably cheaper. Best option is don't buy a boat on the W Coast, and if you got one, leave it, sell it, whatever.There are lots of boats you can buy for chimp change on the E Coast or in the Gulf. If you just GOT to sail, then I would prefer the Panama Canal. Do your homework. A lot of stuff people say you need, you don't really need. You can club up with other boats and share ropes, fenders and tend them for each other, going through in more than one group. One or two people with experience can eliminate the agent. I think you can download the canal regs, which are pretty dry reading. Think "CFR"s, but Panamanian. Youtube is your friend.
Old 27-03-2023, 14:23   #40

Thank you for all the constructive responses.

The NW Passage has always been a curiosity of mine, but I hadn't started research before asking the question. I learned a lot about the community, and a fair amount about the risks of it.

I appreciate the feedback
IT_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 14:38   #41

Hi Mike, lived in Alaska/time in Yukon/Northwest Territories and have done the Panama Canal. A NW Passage is a 50/50 best case, need talented crew and big boat to move fast and beat the ice. Spent the 4th of July at Arctic oceean it was below freezing!!

I have shipped boats cross country best if you have lots of money and no time.

I've done the Panama Canal, it takes time and some money. Watch out for banditoes and high priced Margaritas. When you hit the East end of the Canal, head for Houston and the ITCW and play motorboat.

I'd volunteer to go but I'm the one that drank all the cheap margaritas, and you'd have to listen to bad jokes for 6 months. Good Luck Myles Yachtmirage
yachtmirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 17:29   #42

Boat: Warwick 56, 17 Meters
Send a message via Skype™ to Banu Oney

We trucked our 46 feet boat from Duluth Minnesota to Seattle after doing the Erie Canal and Great Lakes. Not prohibitively expensive and quick….
Banu Oney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2023, 19:44   #43

And a “cruising sized ” solar panel array may be tough to rig/operate with a ketch..
Noahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 09:40   #44

Boat: Presently between vessels

My wife & I took a 48' cutter from the west coast to east coast if U.S. through the Panama canal. We weren't in a hurry so we met a lot of great people, saw cool, things, and had great food. We spent a summer in San Diego and another in Mexico but others have done the trip along the west coast in a few weeks.
There is a group called the Panama Posse that makes this trip more enjoyable.https://panamaposse.com/about
The Panama canal costs a bit but is not daunting. They require crew to handle the helm plus four line handlers and an advisor. If you don't have crew, there may be other cruisers to help or you can hire locals. I did it a day but on a friend's boat we stayed overnight in the lake near the colon side because we couldn't go fast enough (only daylight allowed).
The trip from colon to the west side of Cuba was easterly trades mostly on the beam at 15-30 it's and was some if the mist pleasant sailing i have ever done. The trip through the Florida straights was a little tough for us because we endured the beginning of tropical storm Albert at the time. Usually, getting in the gulf stream makes this a pretty good leg too. Going north along the U.S. east coast is also ok due to the Gulfstream current as long as there isn't a strong north wind.
RobPatterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2023, 19:48   #45

Boat: Hunter 260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Having done both, I'd recommend Panama, for all the reasons already named. Also, if you cruise east toward Colombia from Panama, and jump off from Cartagena to Honduras, it's a nice broad reach. From there to Yucatan is NBD, and it's a quick hop to Florida with a good weather window.
This.

NWP is a whole different game considering your goal. Lots of boats to buy out there.
h2o_snow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama, passage