Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2023, 16:09   #1

Boat: Boatless
Cored Hull & Insulated Hull

A curiosity question:

It is my understanding that when sailing in higher latitudes, it is desirable to have an insulated hull to help prevent condensation, particularly from heating the boat. I'm wondering if having a cored hull serves this purpose (although not its intent), helps serve this purpose or doesn't serve it at all.

Thank you for your thoughts/input.

Ron
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2023, 16:18   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Cored Hull & Insulated Hull

It helps. My entire hull is R4.2 due to the 1” (25mm) corecell core.

Balsa less so.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2023, 15:04   #3

Boat: Jeanneau, Sunfast 3200, 32-33 feet.

My boat is balsa core. My caravan is lined with a pushable material that is probably a PVC outer finish. The caravan (although fibreglass) doesn't condensate, and similar owners say other caravans do despite them being fibreglass. Many Australian caravans made of fibreglass, do so by buying European fibreglass sheets, which have an aerated foam core. So IMO it's possible to line the bare parts interior of the hull to avoid condensation. Even my racer cruiser is lined behind its seating area, where the hull is exposed. But I am in Australia. Yes I have parked in around zero (in a ski resort area), but not for long! IMO lining is worth considering. Good luck!
Melbourne Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2023, 15:23   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
I'm wondering if having a cored hull serves this purpose (although not its intent), helps serve this purpose or doesn't serve it at all.
Thank you for your thoughts/input.
Ron
High latitude boats normally incorporate around three inches of insulation material. A cored hull will be better than a solid hull, but the insulation properties of the small amount of core material (which is chosen for its structural rather than thermal properties) is a long way short of ideal insulation.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2023, 15:47   #5

Boat: Beneteau 46.1

I've seen some great articles online about refits that added insulation inboard, then faced that with 1" planking with 1/8" gaps. Very beautiful and the owners reported that summer indoor temps dropped 10 - 15 degrees, similar to cold weather. I don't know about sweating on the cold side of the insulation. That's worth asking about.
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2023, 16:14   #6

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by gs41escapade View Post
I've seen some great articles online about refits that added insulation inboard, then faced that with 1" planking with 1/8" gaps. Very beautiful and the owners reported that summer indoor temps dropped 10 - 15 degrees, similar to cold weather. I don't know about sweating on the cold side of the insulation. That's worth asking about.

I had a Nordic 44 that was built that way, with a solid glass hull lined with just a thin layer of closed cell foam glued to the hull with varnished staving strips covering it. I can’t tell you how much temperature difference this accomplished but it did avoid visible condensation and since it was glued to the hull there was no chance for condensation on the exterior facing surface either. The horizontal staving was fastened to thin vertical wooden strips that were glued to the hull about every 18”.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2023, 17:54   #7

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Some info from UK: https://www.yachtingmonthly.com/gear...our-boat-79546

Tags
core, hull