Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2013, 17:45   #1

Choosing the Perfect Boat

As promised, I am going to ask a lot of questions and here is my first one:

Two people embark on a journey from Marseille to a little island in West Micronesia. One is a very good sailer, a bit of a genius who's been trained very hard by the very best. The other has very little experience but is willing to learn.

They don't want to waste time, so will be stopping as little as possible (four, six times max).

I need you experienced people to suggest the perfect boat for this venture. We're talking a lot of blue water here (we'll get to the itinerary in another thread but first I want to sort out the boat issue).

I'm thinking that since only one of the two is a sailer, it needs to be pretty much a solo affair. Nothing too big but still allowing lots of fresh water on board, although part of the equipment will include desalination unit (I guess?)

Please explain why you suggest a particular boat (reference links very much appreciated) and do not hesitate to add any equipment that you deem necessary.

I know there will be lots of different opinions and maybe even some heated debate. The one to suggest the boat that is chosen for the story gets a dedicated copy of the book, anyone else who offers helpful comments will be included in the acknowledgements
DeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 18:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Choosing the perfect boat

First, there is no such thing as a perfect boat. Like asking what is the perfect house or car or husband. Every boat is a compromise.

So as close to perfect as possible.

A 70' custom steel sloop. All systems like sail handling winches, anchor windlass, etc, can be powered by electric or hydraulic so a small crew is not a problem.

You can carry lots of fuel, a generator so all the comforts of home. With the generator you can have a water maker so plenty of fresh water for the long passages you plan. Also big refrigerator and freezer to carry plenty of food.

Larger boat will go faster so you will cover the long ocean passages much faster.

When you arrive at your destination you will have lots of room for entertaining.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 18:06   #3

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

Hiya Dee! My suggestion: Get a fiberglass mono hull...with keel no greater than 5 ft...length 32-40 ft...NOT a twin masted ketch...all lines can be handled by one person at the helm...under 10 years of age, preferably around 5...two anchors (350 ft rode, each)...electronics package (many variables $$$$). Compare space between similar length boats, everything else being equal; get the most spacious. Capable of hoisting a dinghy while under sail; no towing. Must have solar panels, a Honda gas generator and a water maker. That's all!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
Old 16-08-2013, 18:14   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

cma container carrier,panamax,2x38,000hp..............swimming pool upstairs.....
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 19:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknav View Post
Hiya Dee! My suggestion: Get a fiberglass mono hull...with keel no greater than 5 ft...length 32-40 ft...NOT a twin masted ketch...all lines can be handled by one person at the helm...under 10 years of age, preferably around 5...two anchors (350 ft rode, each)...electronics package (many variables $$$$). Compare space between similar length boats, everything else being equal; get the most spacious. Capable of hoisting a dinghy while under sail; no towing. Must have solar panels, a Honda gas generator and a water maker. That's all!

Mauritz
Going to behave now!
That sounds like a good start. If bought new would you recommend a particular model? (budget not an issue)
Old 16-08-2013, 19:54   #6

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeB View Post
---
One is a very good sailer, a bit of a genius who's been trained very hard by the very best. ---
I suggest you ask that person. I certainly don't know more than he (or she) does, and it will probably be their opinion that counts.
Old 16-08-2013, 20:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
I suggest you ask that person. I certainly don't know more than he (or she) does, and it will probably be their opinion that counts.
I still haven't found a way to have conversations with my fictional characters
Old 16-08-2013, 20:25   #8

Here's the short answer:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...med-96033.html

Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 20:26   #9

A genius trained by the very best should not need advice from CF. A person that assumes the second half of the crew will not learn and become useful along the way sounds like you are taking along a mentally challenged person, or you hold a rather low opinion of your crew. Which is it? Or are you simply a troll? _____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 20:30   #10

Just seeing post 7 YES IT IS A TROLL. Fictional characters are OK but pretending to be real is nonsense._____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2013, 20:45   #11

Sounds like you are writing a novel.

The short answer is there are a great number of different boats more than capable of doing what you want. But certain choices will certainly have different characteristics and tone.

A tesla, Volvo and '66 Porsche can all drive across country (well maybe not the first) but they don't mean the same thing. Which you looking for?
nbourbaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 01:51   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Just seeing post 7 YES IT IS A TROLL. Fictional characters are OK but pretending to be real is nonsense._____Grant.
Grant, I am not pretending to be anything other than a writer doing research and asking experienced people for help. Sorry about the confusion, I thought I was being pretty clear.
If you don't agree with the approach that's completely okay too. I'll take advice and expertise where it's freely given.
Old 17-08-2013, 01:53   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbourbaki View Post
Sounds like you are writing a novel.

The short answer is there are a great number of different boats more than capable of doing what you want. But certain choices will certainly have different characteristics and tone.

A tesla, Volvo and '66 Porsche can all drive across country (well maybe not the first) but they don't mean the same thing. Which you looking for?
What would YOU choose?
Old 17-08-2013, 03:48   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjordan View Post
Grant (and others ), Dee is not a troll LOL. She is writing a novel and has joined this forum for research purposes. See her intro in 'Meets and Greets':

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...lp-109497.html

Dee, hope someone steps in with some useful info for you .

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2013, 04:43   #15

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71

Hmm...I'll weigh in. My thought is that anyone that sails usually has some sort of budget. Even if it's a large one. And then if the person is just ridiculously rich (thinking about that Dirk whoever guy in the Clive Cussler novels) then it just becomes unbelievable and as a reader, I really don't enjoy that as much. But hey...they are your characters so go for it. But... Is the experienced sailor the man or the woman? If it's a man, and has a budget, I'm leaning towards something like a Tayana 37. Shallow draft, stable double ender, very classic, super solid boat. If the sailor is a woman, I'm seeing more of a moderate displacement boat. Like a Moody 42. Something a little more modern, but very common in that part of the world. And if no budget....well...a Little Harbor 53 has always been my "If I win the lottery..." boat.