Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 00:25   #16
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
Re: Charter People Scare Me

Fact is we all started out like these folks who are having all the trouble- I for one have made just about every mistake you could ever think of over my 48 years of running a boat-short of sinking one so when you point your finger and laugh at them remember YOU once were in there place, and you were no better! As a Professional Charter Captain-(who sails solo half the time) I know that port very well and it’s not always easy as the wind picks up to 20-25+ knots most afternoons and the anchor may not hold due to the underwater tombs and patchy bottom ,My Manson Supreme has failed to hold there more than once in 25+ knots of side wind and I’ve had to go out and re drop again there ,not before I went sideways with the wind into a 35 meter mega yacht smacking my bucking bow in the chop right in one of its port lights- So we all live and learn as we go-We all have to start somewhere and all of us knew nothing when we did- Our egos like to point the finger and say to ourselves (and others) that I’m much better, bigger, smarter ,better looking, more money , more experience ect-but in reality were no better, we have just learned a few tricks –were all out there together with our pants down so to speak!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
For 4 days I have been tied up at the quay in Paros Greece which as it turns out is a base for charter boats. Many charter boats have come in whist I have been here and I have seem so many hamfisted attempts at mooring here.

The worst was an old couple in a Bene 54 who tried to tie up two spots from me, stopped half a boat lenght short and therefore could not throw a line to me on the quay. They then drifted into the next berth and then eventualy into my boat. The moved forward, got past my chain and then tried to reverse into the spot on the other side of me with their chain crossing several berths and my chain.

Thankfully they listened to my instructions and went back out and redropped their anchor and finally got into the original berth.

Then a few minutes ago a big Bavaria tried to moor in a spot next to me that was only wide enough to fit half a boat. I was sitting at my computer and was shocked to see the stern on the boat through my pot hole. Luckily the quay was busy with people so the Bavaria was given the hint to nick off before I got topside

There have been plenty more incidents like these in the past few days here and at other ports where charter yachts visit

So far I have done better mooring solo than quite a few of these charter boats (touch wood)
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:27   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas5131 View Post
A friend encountered a boat which was on port tack. The skipper was yelling "Starboard".
My friend managed to avoid him and then talk to him.
The guy told my friend that he thought he got the right of way by yelling "Starboard".
I'm pretty sure I crewed for that guy when a young minnow.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:32   #18

Wrapping the prop with one's chain is worth seeing. In fact, I did see it once. Chugging around the bay in an ex-USN whale boat I happened upon a sight so funny that in my hilarious laughter I inadvertenly pushed the tiller too far. Out past the coaming I hung on to the tiller wondering now what do I do.

What makes this stuff funny is we ourselves have been there. Perhaps not all things but enough.

Go hang around the launch ramp for some good fun.
Richard5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:54   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Charter people scare me

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
The are everywhere in Greece, so there is nowhere to hide
There are loads of spots to get away from it all in Greece. We have not had another boat anchor within sight of us for a couple of months now (discounting the occasional small power boat visiting the very nice beach we anchored off, even these have stopped since September 1st)

Med moring is not difficult, but personally I prefer to anchor out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0EF09617-4880-4FA2-9E8F-AD53875F2DA5-3836-000007EF1E5F102E.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	46077  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:33   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
+1

I don't totally suck but stern mooring a 40+ foot unfamiliar boat between two other boats would be daunting. Stern walk, drift, windage etc. are all things you don't learn quickly on a chartered boat.

I would likely haul the stern line ashore by the dinghy and haul or winch the boat in and to hell what people thought of my "seamanship."

Actually, "med mooring" is one of the main reasons I am not interested to sail in the med. Too crowded for me.

Slips, mooring balls and anchorages for me.
+2

With the exception that I don't agree about Med mooring being inherently horrible.

Med mooring is actually not hard at all -- after a certain amount of practice. It's just that -- a one week charter is not nearly enough practice

Bearing that in mind, it's a miracle that there aren't a lot more accidents, than there are, on charter boats . . .

Also the reason why I would never in a million years buy an ex-charter boat . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 17:15   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
I think you will find with a little pratice Med moor really not bad at all- and your missing one of the best places on the planet to be sailing when you cut the med out- its not nearly as crowded as you might think
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
+2

With the exception that I don't agree about Med mooring being inherently horrible.

Med mooring is actually not hard at all -- after a certain amount of practice. It's just that -- a one week charter is not nearly enough practice

Bearing that in mind, it's a miracle that there aren't a lot more accidents, than there are, on charter boats . . .

Also the reason why I would never in a million years buy an ex-charter boat . . .
OK - Ya'll have convinced me. It's back on my bucket list. It definitely is beautiful.

Be on the lookout for some charter moron barging in next to you in reverse at 4 knots and giving ya'll a heart attack - LOL...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 17:48   #22

Boat: C&C 25

Quote:
+1

I would likely haul the stern line ashore by the dinghy and haul or winch the boat in and to hell what people thought of my "seamanship."
I consider it to be considerably more seaman-like to be able to properly warp and kedge your boat when necessary than it is to try and manoeuvre poorly or under less than ideal circumstances and botch the job.

Using all the resources at your disposal to get the job done is an important thing to understand when boating I've found.
RunningLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:22   #23

Quote:
Bravo. This is the "correct" attitude, in my opinion. It is those who are afraid of looking stupid who invariably end up looking like complete, brain-dead, moronic, IDIOTS! Swallow your pride, do what you need to do get the job done safely, and to hell with what anyone else thinks!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 06:27   #24

Talking Re: Charter People Scare Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
Our egos like to point the finger and say to ourselves (and others) that I’m much better, bigger, smarter ,better looking, more money , more experience ect-but in reality were no better...
Well put.

(Except for the fact that I actually am better looking. )
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charter