Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2024, 20:57   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Chainplate Replacement - plugging holes

Hi all,

Update: I found this:

https://goodoldboat.com/pdfs/GOB_MJ0...estoration.pdf

This is oddly on point. Not many articles out there about chainplates on Islanders....

I am re-rigging my Islander 30 Bahama. Chainplates are about 15" long, 4 holes attaching to an internal bulkhead. 1.5" wide, 1.24" thick. Internal holes are 3/8, pin hole slightly bigger, seems to be 7/16 or half inch. It's hard to measure because there is a toggle in the way.

To have exact copies I've been quoted $280 each. This is at a place in Long Beach by a marina, so probably a premium price. I am also getting quotes from plates in the Midwest who might be cheaper.

I am also considering using a Schaefer or Rigrite chain plate that is off the shelf. These are available for half the custom price, or $140. Schaffer makes ones that is pretty much the exact size, but with 5 holes for the bulkhead instead of 4. The holes closer together but it otherwise almost identical. This got me thinking about whether I could just fill the old bolt holes with some expoxy with a West System 404 high density filler and then re-drill new holes for the Schaefer or Rig Right chain plate.

My only concern is whether the thickened epoxy would make the bulkhead weaker. On the other hand the extra bolt would seek to spread the tension out more. I'm curious what people think.
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, plug