Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2009, 18:32   #1

Boat: Tartan 40
Chainplate Replacement Material?

Hello,

I have a vintage Allied Luders 33, which has the infamous glassed in chainplates for the lower shrouds. The uppers are exposed bolted to structural stringers on the inside of the hull.

I realize that I will have to bite the bullet eventually and remove the glassed in chainplates and replace them, although right now there is no evidence of water intrusion.

Two questions for all of you out there?

1. How does one remove glassed in chainplates for inspection?
2. Why are more chainplates not made out of bronze rather than stainless? Shouldn't the use of bronze eliminate the concer for crevice corrosion?

Thanks!
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 21:46   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
1) They'll have to be cut out. And once they are I'd re-construct their design.

2) Stainless is stronger then mo$t bronzes, ones that you could afford, anyway. As well, stainless chain plates are compatible with stainless shrouds. Go Inconel or Hastoly if you want real strong and corrosion resistant. $$$$$$$$

3) BTW 304L SS is good enough material for chain plates providing they are polished/chemically treated.
Old 01-05-2009, 22:57   #3

Boat: Allied Luders 33
I have the same boat same problem. - guess we're in the same boat. Haha.
Have you decided how to solve the issue? I was thinking about oversizing replacement chainplates, and maybe even trying to use a different metal, such as titanium. I haven't found any good info on titanium yet. I was also thinking of putting the chainplates on the hull exterior.
Luders33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 04:33   #4

Boat: Columbia 8.7 As You Wish III
Simular

My Tartan 27 has the repatation for the same problem. The shourds and backstay are enclose in fb. However I thought SS problem was a lack of oxagen. It is also a project I am not looking forward too.

When I look at boats I like to see the chainplates at least you know if there is a leak topside, actually I like to see anything I might need to get at for maintenance.
ksmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chain plate