Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 18-02-2017, 05:16   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Re: Caribbean Safety and Security Net

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aden View Post
We are planning to Caribbean next January. My heart sinks after reading this incident. I know we can't do much if we are attacked on board. What else can we do to avoid this attack? .

What?

How is your geography?

These attacks were in Honduras. Have you any concept of how far Central America is from the Caribbean cruising grounds?

Its 1,200 nms from the Caribbean Islands. Thats more than Cuba to New York City! 1,100 miles. Miami to NYC is 950 miles, 250 shorter. Does someone in New York get scared because of an attack in Miami?

Honduras is boardering the Caribbean Sea but is Central America not The Caribbean.

So where do you intend cruising? Name the actual countries, islands etc. Then ask re security.

Finally.... the Caribbean Safety & Security net could be called Paranoia.Com I shouldn't be hard on them because they work hard on their site, and their information is relevant... it just seems every report is just writ a tad over the top.

When you do work out where you're going look at the CSSN site for that area. I just clicked in Leward Islands: St Martin, St Barts, Antigua, Etc, there's so nothing going on that unlocked dinghy thefts are the most anyone has reported for ages. (And you'd be amazed the number of idiots leave their dinghy unlocked and go drinking at night).

Now, if, on the converse, you are going to cruise Mexico and Central America that's a different matter. Its an area I haven't been but lots of folks on this forum have and they can tell you about it.

Mark
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib, safety, security