Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2018, 08:25   #46

Boat: Nonsuch 33
Re: Canadian Flag Size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
What say you, do you like the New Flag? Wondering if there is a new anthem to go along with it.
I think nobody will ever get the motivation to write one.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:27   #47

Boat: Nonsuch 33

Hey, I've looked through two of the three pages of replies. Didn't anyone get that the Canadian was mocking the boat with the ridiculously large flag? Nicely done.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:29   #48

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

July 1, 2017 Green Turtle Cay, Abaco The Bahamas Normally I just fly the one but it was Canada Day!

So why can’t we use Photobucket links any longer. This link to the Facebook photo seems not to work either.... grrrr.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:09   #49

Boat: Little Harbor 46 (1988)

I once saw a Canadian flag on a sailboat passing through Bermuda that really made me smile. It seemed like the appropriate size for the boat but as a flagstaff the captain used a hockey stick with the blade at the top. Now that’s showing love of country and culture!
jr_spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:17   #50

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairie Chicken View Post
Yes, we are aware. We really dislike the look of the Canadian ratio, and despite the fact that it is officially incorrect, buy our Canadian flags in the Netherlands where the ratio is 3:2.

I'm not much of a patriot/flag nerd, but isn't the idea of applying personal preference a bit of an insult to the flag tradition?
Old 12-10-2018, 09:30   #51

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 38
Send a message via Yahoo to dirk_modica

Hi Gentlemen,

I do not know what the regulations are in Canada, but concerning the size of the flag, there must be something, as usual shipping visual signals (as the flag is) are subject to national regulations which tend to apply on local basis international conventions.

Just as an example, in Italy the law is foreseeing that the size of the flag must be in relation with the size of the boat, but not over 1/10 of the LOA; it must not touch the water, or the deck. On a sloop it should be flawn from a pole on the transom.
(Never heard somebody fined by authorities, as long as the boat has one).

In 40 years yachting I have then seen flags of all possible sizes, and flags attached to the shrouds, to halyards, to the stern railing, flag stickers and so on.

In my opinion "Flag etiquette" - as other etiquettes - is something followed only by people who know it - Maybe as an habit from my navy period, when abord I'm still hauling down all flags at sunset, and flying them in the morning (when I wake up) - other yachties look at me with curiosity abt it.

What to say? Life is interesting because everybody is different.

ciao
Dirk Modica
S/y Tropico
dirk_modica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:22   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scaramanga F25 View Post
Cuz Canada is much bigger than the USA.

The US does not make the rules for the world.

Just had to say it. LOL

Never forget that USA was Called lower Canada back in the 1600.
dancor01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:33   #53
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

dirk-
This forum is mainly filled with individual recreational sailors. Not naval personnel, not commercial shipping crews. (For the most part.) So while there may be rules for naval vessels and commercial shipping, they have no stay over most of us.
And here in the US, there are very few "rules" about our flag. Suggestions, yes, but not so much rules. I can vary the colors (would you prefer fire engine red? Or flag red? Oh wait, "fire engine red" is actually over 40 different colors) and I can vary the proportions, even though there are specifications for what is "proper" on all of that. A lot of room has been intentionally provided for both tradition and personal inclination.
And you're supposed to wake up well before 8AM, so you can properly hoist colors precisely at 8AM, preferably with a canon salute, aren't you? (G)

Of course, hoisting colors when they're attached to a two foot long flagstaff on the stern rail isn't quite the same as really sending one up a pole...and canonfire at 8AM tends to upset the neighbors.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:20   #54

Boat: Passport 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBear View Post
Hey, I've looked through two of the three pages of replies. Didn't anyone get that the Canadian was mocking the boat with the ridiculously large flag? Nicely done.
Oh, we got it... We just didn't care. You know we don't need much of an excuse to opine..... And flags are perfect for this as there is no legally binding answer on recreational boats.
danleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:32   #55

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
I think many Canadians are proud, and hey, why not? Canada is a great country!

That said, can anybody explain why whenever I see Canadians they have these like giant-sized flags that look like they would be more appropriate on a flag pole in front of a school or government office rather than hanging off the transom of a small cruising boat?

Are normal yacht sized flags just not available in Canada? Or are Canadians just that proud?
Don't see that issue very often here in Canada. Most boats seem to have appropriately size flags. We do get a lot of US visitors with flags large enough to trail in the water though! Might be an issue of availability where you are??

Canadians as a whole aren't really much of a flag flying country! You won't see many homes flying the Canadian flag (unlike in the U.S. )
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:11   #56

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
With the change in law, up Nort, as to recreational use of marijuana, I spotted a new design of flag where the maple leaf was replaced. I believe the ratio of the dimensions remains the same as the previous design.

I also saw this design in Green and White instead of the traditional Red and White.

What say you, do you like the New Flag? Wondering if there is a new anthem to go along with it.
“The True North, strong and wheeeeee...”

Done!
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 12:50   #57

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 38
Send a message via Yahoo to dirk_modica

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
dirk-
This forum is mainly filled with individual recreational sailors. Not naval personnel, not commercial shipping crews. (For the most part.) So while there may be rules for naval vessels and commercial shipping, they have no stay over most of us.
And here in the US, there are very few "rules" about our flag. Suggestions, yes, but not so much rules. I can vary the colors (would you prefer fire engine red? Or flag red? Oh wait, "fire engine red" is actually over 40 different colors) and I can vary the proportions, even though there are specifications for what is "proper" on all of that. A lot of room has been intentionally provided for both tradition and personal inclination.
And you're supposed to wake up well before 8AM, so you can properly hoist colors precisely at 8AM, preferably with a canon salute, aren't you? (G)

Of course, hoisting colors when they're attached to a two foot long flagstaff on the stern rail isn't quite the same as really sending one up a pole...and canonfire at 8AM tends to upset the neighbors.
++++

Hello there,

clearly navy and merrchant marine have their different rules, but what I quoted - as an example, not that it has to be a guideline for others - are the italian rules for registered yachts (basically having LOA over 10 m) which are the ones authorised to navigate outside the 12 miles.

No gun salute here as well, I've removed the six pounder from the poop to make place for the ice box!

Fair wind! I'm now piped down by my wife as it's late

Good night
Dirk Modica
dirk_modica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 16:08   #58

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Flags? Methinks most cruisers - Canadian or otherwise - fly the flag(s) suitable to their mood and/or purpose at the moment! The Pirate's Skull & Crossbones are popular during Buccaneer Days out at Catalina island in the USA. Flying that same flag in some other ports of the world might get you kicked out of country.... Or worse.

Flag of registration? Well, approaching a new port of call we try to arrive a few hours after sunrise, flying from high on the backstay our Austrian "Holiday Flag" of roughly 4 ft by 7 ft. Make an entrance and a statement, right? Standard joke from wiseguys on other boats: "Are you guys in distress?" You know, since red over white over red indicates difficult to maneuver. Anyway, we need to take care as the flag's shadow could cover the solar panels - causing battery problems and then the beer might get warm!

Rough winds merit our "Storm Flag" - roughly similar sized to our various courtesy flags.

For routine operations we fly a ''regular" flag about 3 ft by 5 ft, again from the backstay but lower than the solar panels. (Photo)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Aft Deck Tonga.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	178862  
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 00:06   #59
DGH

Boat: 48 ft sloop. Buizen 48

Keep flying those national ensigns proudly, AT THE STERN, ON A FLAGSTAFF.
NEVER on the backstay - nothing looks poorer, except maybe occasionally when I have seen a national ensign flown from the spreader. (Their own courtesy flag?)
DGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2018, 09:18   #60

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGH View Post
Keep flying those national ensigns proudly, AT THE STERN, ON A FLAGSTAFF.
NEVER on the backstay - nothing looks poorer, except maybe occasionally when I have seen a national ensign flown from the spreader. (Their own courtesy flag?)

I think a flag flown from the backstay looks nice, as long as it isn't too small.

My only problem is getting the darn thing high enough up.

Tags
size