Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2024, 12:00   #31

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom
Re: Can a storm jib be too small

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
I'm afraid "ordinary" production boats are not designed storm sails in mind, nor the weather you'd use one. Not saying they'd be unseaworthy but that's not even close to the primary concerns of a designer.
Ah yes, I can tell that by the glossy ad pictures.
A perfect summer day with a blue sky and perfectly trimmed sails on a smooth sea, (probably a close reach with just enough wind to get a small angle of heel).
The crew are all "beautiful people" with radiant smiles and perfect teeth, all dressed fashionably, (the men having the requisite couple of days of beard).
That's what cruising is all about, right? (Aking for a friend, ).
Old 17-01-2024, 12:15   #32

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

I see folks talking about using a storm jib in winds like 25 to 40. I don’t think that is really a storm jib but beefy jib of reduced size. The storm jibs I’ve seen (and have) are really not meant for a nice airfoil and going upwind but I could be wrong. At least in my boat, when it’s time for a storm jib it’s too windy to be going upwind realistically.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 10:25   #33

Boat: Jeanneau 57

That's the beauty of having the jib on a button-up furler. One can furl it to close to nothing as wind increases. That's IF the sail is build for that scope and robust enough.
Loredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 12:34   #34

Boat: Beneteau 46.1

Does anyone have real experience with the storm jibs that sleeve over the jib furler? I don't see how it could sit below the furler on my boat. And, if not, how does it get installed underway -- are there snaps or something on the sleeve?

In a breeze, even before the wind is up to where you really need it, I wonder if the friction on the furled primary jib would let it go up without a lot of trouble.
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2024, 12:38   #35

Boat: Beneteau 46.1

Looking more at the pix in the sleeve jib link, I see it 'hanks' around the furler. I wonder if a good design might be to have just the sleeve crunched down by the furling drum with hank points to hank the jib onto the sleeve when needed. Closer to 'ready to go' but without all that sail bunched up all the time.
gs41escapade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jib, storm jib