Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2022, 11:42   #16

Re: Buying a boat with no experiance

Auggie:

Do pay attention to all that has been said in posts prior to this one. But let me take a slightly different tack :-):

You say that your choice of accommodation is either a boat or a motorhome. The implication is that, for whatever reason, you are either unable or unwilling to pay rent on a shoreside flat. Fair enuff. I keep a 30-footer in good condition. I set Can$1,000/month aside for the KEEPING of the boat. Here, in a distant suburb of Vancouver BC, monthly rent of a 1-bdrm apartment of about 680 SqFt is Can$950.

So how would you rather live?

The logistics of living aboard a small - nay diminutive - vessel is trying in the extreme for those who were not brought up to it. Living in a 30-foot motorhome is immeasurably easier from a logistics point of view, but still awkward, particularly if you (and/or you partner) have to hold down a regular job. Living in a motorhome tends to be cheaper than living aboard a boat, but still if you have, due to restrictions and regulations, to move from approved campsite to approved campsite those fees add up very, very quickly.

So for my money, the priority ranking for accommodation is 1) Apartment, 2) Motorhome, 3) Boat.

Living aboard a boat is something one does for fun, not out of necessity. The long and the short of it is that if you cannot afford the rent asked for an apartment, then you cannot afford to keep a boat as a substitute.

Now if you are satisfied that you can not only afford to keep a boat, but also that you are willing to forego the conveniences and luxuries attendant to living ashore, then I'll be very happy to tell you something about what is entailed in buying a boat, in owning a boat, in keeping a boat in sound condition, in handling a boat under power, in handling a boat under sail and in being a skipper in every sense of the word.

All the best to you.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 11:44   #17
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auggie073 View Post
My partner and I are looking at buying a 1978 Ericson 30-2 in the SF bay area.
We are looking at hopefully using her as a liveaboard (yes we know its extremely small, but our alternative is a van). We are both extremely excited but are wondering if this is too much to jump into without any real sailing experience? The boat is located in the San Joaquin river and we would have to move it right away into the SF bay, or at least to a different marina or anchorage. I worry about sailing in such a narrow area, especially since the area where the boat is located is very shallow and we could easily run aground. Does anyone have any advice?
The boat itself is in very good condition, the previous owner has fixed all the leaks and completely redone the electrical as well as purchased a new mainsail and depth sounder. I really want to go through with the purchase but worry about the logistics of sailing in such a difficult area without any previous experience
If you have no boating experience then you can't properly determine if the boat is in good condition. A very good surveyor is needed.

I agree with a previous post that a sailboat is no option to an RV. If you are just looking for cheap living accommodations in the SF area then a sailboat is not for you. You folks need to reconsider your living options. Your getting in over your head.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 11:54   #18

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser

Your observations worry me. You say you know nothing about boats, but don't mention having this boat surveyed before purchasing it. How do you know it is in "good condition"? And you talk about your concern regarding sailing in narrow, shallow channels. That is a valid concern, but doesn't this boat have a working auxiliary engine, depth sounder, etc? And San Francisco Bay is a pretty expensive place for live aboard slips. Do you have a suitable one identified at a cost you can afford? Not clear this project has yet been completely thought out.
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 12:03   #19

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Yes, I'd recommend a surveyor going through it for you too before you set out, for your peace of mind. Maybe someone here can recommend a good one in that area. Is this the shoal draft keel or the deeper fin keel? How are the engine and the rigging? If those two are in good shape I'd be comfortable taking her out to the Bay. Good luck in your new adventures! I lived on a 24 foot boat a long time ago so a 30' Ericson sounds palacial to me!
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 13:20   #20

Boat: Carver 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
A survey is essential and well worth the cost s any repairs that require to be done will be paid for by the seller. Look up ASA sailing courses and do a couple to help you get insurance and some knowledge.
Absolutely, get a pre-purchase survey. Not cheap, but could potentially save you many thousand$ down the road. Sailing courses are good, but stick to the basics first…Boater safety class, followed up with a Seamanship class.
First things first…lock in a marina slip. Trying to live aboard a moored boat will be a major pain in the butt and will get real old real fast.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 13:24   #21

Boat: Catalina 320

Quote:
The boat is located in the San Joaquin river and we would have to move it right away into the SF bay, or at least to a different marina or anchorage.
Why must it be moved immediately ? Unseaworthy and uninsurable being forced out by marina or illegally moored/anchored ?
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 14:21   #22

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Wait, hold on, you want to buy a 30 ft boat to live in or you will have to live in a van? Do you have the van already? Don’t sell it to buy a boat …..sounds like you are thinking about becoming a boat squatter. Like those people living in there dilapidated mobile homes in nice neighborhoods on the west coast? FYI Vans and tents don’t sink.
The boat that’s 40 yrs old (and for that matter all boats) will need constant love and attention unless you neglect it intentionally or unintentionally …to cook, to shower, to sleep, to keep water tight, there will be little room to actually do anything, just like a tent or a van.
AND not all marinas except live aboards because of the “marina squatter” scenario. If you can’t afford a bigger boat, or an apartment you will have a tuff time making marina fees let alone the maintenance or the know how.
And then there’s the sailing, where everything goes well, until it doesn’t. SF bay is a docile place nothing to worry about there, buy the boat, nothing bad will happen. Cheers
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2022, 17:12   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

With the high cost of housing in the Bay Area finding a live aboard slip is as rare as hen's teeth. The marina's are limited to 10% live aboard if the will take any. 10 years ago when I was last there, the marina's weren't even taking names because the wait lists were so long. The farther away from the main population the easier it may be to get a live aboard slip but wouldn't hold my breath.

As far as handling a 30' sailboat, it's not rocket science. Take things slow and easy and hopefully get some experienced help to coach you the first few times you take the boat out. The CG Auxillary and the Power Squadron offer inexpensive courses in navigation and boat handling that would certainly be worth taking. I bought a 26' sailboat with no other experience except time on a Sail Fish board boat. My experienced crew that was supposed to help me move the boat 3 pr 4 miles in the open ocean got drunk and passed out on the case of beer I'd bought to celebrate AFTER we arrived at our Marina because of the long delay in launching the boat. I ended up having to solo pilot the boat out into the Pacific, down the coast and into the poorly marked channel of the lagoon where the home marina was located IN THE DARK. Passed that 'trial by fire' and many more gaining experience on my own. Ended up dividing my living accommodations between becoming a sneak aboard and a VW camper van. Stupid rules, the marina didn't allow live aboard but camping in the VW in their parking lot was okay.

I've lived aboard that 26' boat, a 28' boat, a 32', and a 35' boat. The 32' boat was with my wife and lasted 4 years including a sail to SoPac. Where there's a will there's a way. Just be sure you and your partner are VERY good friends. In my case we were. Celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary in a few months.

Good luck in finding a slip, the boat will be the easy part.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 10:44   #24

Boat: Carver 356

It would be nice if we got a follow up from the OP on this.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 10:58   #25

I'll be surprised if the OP ever comes back. I rather think he has taken our advice :-)!

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 11:29   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I get the romantic appeal, but do yourself both a favor, and go sail with others for a while to get your feet wet...no pun intended...

There is a lot more to boat ownership, than simply using it as a home. Things break, etc, rain some days, sunshine other days, etc, etc....

Give yourself a year.....yep...no kidding... of sailing with others before you make the jump yourself.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2022, 12:01   #27

Do your self a couple of favors:

1) Find out if you can actually anchor full time in San Francisco harbor and live aboard.

2) Find out where you will be able to land your dinghy if you anchor long term.

3) Find out if there is an available moorings in San Francisco harbor

4) Find out if there is an available slips in San Francisco harbor

5) Find out if there is an available slip in San Francisco harbor where you can live-aboard.

6) Find out what you would need for insurance.

You should not take any action before having these questions answered. You don't want to find out after you own the boat that there is no place to put it. Slips have been a rare commodity in many places over the last 2 years. Anchoring restrictions abound.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 18:34   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
I'm confused. I dont see how a van is an alternative to sailing? Or are you just looking for somewhere to live & you think a boat might do the job? In which case, forget it. A boat is far more complex than that. There are all sorts of issues you may have no idea about...
I very seriously doubt that with a 44 year old boat. Much more likely there will be all sorts of things to be fixed. My boat is 41 years old & it is one little thing after another - & thats after 24 years of my ownership & 2 major refits.
So dont go sailing. Motor to where you need to get to & build experience slowly - but even motoring a slow sailboat in any tidal area needs know-how. Take someone experienced with you at first.

Good luck.
A van is not an alternative to sailing however both of us enjoy small spaces and I was making the point that the size of the boat isn't a huge problem before it gets addressed as we've been told that before.
I am aware that there will be numerous problems as comes with age, we're not just jumping into crossing oceans or anything. The point is the condition is good considering the age and intended use. There are no problems with the engine or bilge or any leaks and the sails were recently replaced and all rigging is relatively new.
We will absolutely be asking for help from friends with much more knowledge before attempting to move the boat
Auggie073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 18:45   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
With the high cost of housing in the Bay Area finding a live aboard slip is as rare as hen's teeth. The marina's are limited to 10% live aboard if the will take any. 10 years ago when I was last there, the marina's weren't even taking names because the wait lists were so long. The farther away from the main population the easier it may be to get a live aboard slip but wouldn't hold my breath.
We were looking at slips in the north bay away from the larger cities so hopefully there will be availability but thank you for the warning

Quote:
As far as handling a 30' sailboat, it's not rocket science. Take things slow and easy and hopefully get some experienced help to coach you the first few times you take the boat out. The CG Auxillary and the Power Squadron offer inexpensive courses in navigation and boat handling that would certainly be worth taking.
We've got some friends with much more sailing knowledge than us that we've been helping with a refit and are hoping that they can help us when we are ready to move the boat

Quote:
I've lived aboard that 26' boat, a 28' boat, a 32', and a 35' boat. The 32' boat was with my wife and lasted 4 years including a sail to SoPac. Where there's a will there's a way. Just be sure you and your partner are VERY good friends. In my case we were. Celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary in a few months.
Thank you for the advice and congratulations!
Old 24-03-2022, 18:56   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentePieds View Post
You say that your choice of accommodation is either a boat or a motorhome. The implication is that, for whatever reason, you are either unable or unwilling to pay rent on a shoreside flat. Fair enuff. I keep a 30-footer in good condition. I set Can$1,000/month aside for the KEEPING of the boat. Here, in a distant suburb of Vancouver BC, monthly rent of a 1-bdrm apartment of about 680 SqFt is Can$950.
We are choosing to live on a boat for multiple reasons, partially because something about living in a small space is appealing. And partially because apartments here run over $2k a month plus credit checks and we would out of choice be paying for at least a part in a different boat on top of that if we went that route. Sailing is something we've been wanting to do for a while and I've grown up around all kinds of boats, though very new to sailing. If we would be paying money into a boat on top of rent anyways I feel it makes sense to skip the rent portion.

Tags
boat, buying, buying a boat