Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2015, 12:09   #1

Bristol 45.5 hull

I am looking at a Bristol 45.5 for sale! Any feedback on history of "blistering"?
Jim
james1492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 12:24   #2

Re: Bristol 45.5 hull

In my experience blistering is more boat specific than manufacturer specific. But there are some exceptions I think.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2015, 13:32   #3

They are great, offshore capable boats. Get a Survey or Pre Survey where the Surveyor goes out and does a pre purchase look

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Mike R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 06:38   #4

Boat: Taswell 49 Cutter

There was one for sale in Floroday (FLa) that we looked at last year, CC, nice options, but blisters on the bootstripe, big ones. Off the market now, it seems.

The others that we looked at (45s and 47s) didn't have any that we could detect (about 12 boats in 3 years). About 1/3 of those are still for sale.

There is one we looked at in NJ, that was not a good use of our time, to put it politely.

We finally settled on a low teak boat, but have a soft spot for Bristols, and always will.
Ericson38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 07:12   #5

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I have a Bristol 45.5 and of course the boat you own is always the best

I would buy another in a heartbeat. Boat sails very nicely with a surprising turn of speed for such a heavy boat compared to boats of today . And she has a gentle ride to weather , never pounding , Ted Hood designed great boats. You have to pretty much look at all the same things when buying a 20 plus old fiberglass boat , check the tanks!! The teak and holly cabin sole was hand laid and to replace the tanks is a professional job with the associated costs. The hull to deck joint is thru bolted almost every 3 inches and not glued , they used butyl tape and mine is still as soft as new , no leaks! Also look at the secondary tabbing at the bulkheads, it's ok if they have come of a bit , easy fix , lots of accessibility to inject a little epoxy , but look for soft wood from moisture , thats a little harder to fix . I have had no problems with my boat and I am still amazed by her workmanship. Lift a floor board and you can see the entire inside of the hull ! These were "stick built" boats , no liners
These boats were built tough and beautiful. The days of this kind of construction is long gone due to changing economy's. All were semi custom and every one is a little different to the original owners ideas.

Go get one and enjoy

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull