Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2015, 14:27   #16

Boat: Lots of boats.
Re: Boat Specs - Weight

With a limit of 2600 pounds you are pretty much limited to a 20 or 22 foot sailboat. A Mac 22 is 1800 empty. Even their 1 axle trailer is probably 600 or more pounds. Also, you are probably better off going to a forum that is more in tune with what you are buying, like The Trailer Sailor

I myself have trailerable boats, but find this forum is mostly for fixed keel boats 30' and over. You will still get great advice here, but realize these people live and cruise in places I only dream about. I like the forum because it brings sailing to a higher level because of the increased requirements of water sailing">blue water sailing.
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 14:46   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'll probably get fussed at for posting this, but a vehicles trailering capacity is based on highway speeds, unlimited distances and probable mountainous terrain.
If your going short distances, over flat terrain and have enough sense to keep the speed down, allow for increased braking distances etc., you can safely pull anything you can get out of the water and up the ramp.
Now if you plan on pulling it on highways etc., then best to stay within the weight limit of the tow vehicle
( in my opinion)

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 14:52   #18

Boat: glass knockoff of a Crowther 28

My 2 cents - it's not how much you can pull, it is how much you can stop. Any time you try to pull at the towing limits of a vehicle, your ability to stop the load and otherwise control it are going to be radically different. Trailering a sailboat is probably the worst case for this. Either a water or keel ballasted boat will scare the crap out of you in a cross wind, and the full keel rigs have a very high center of gravity. You are much better off getting a larger tow vehicle and not push the limits. Too many other drivers have no clue, and fail to give you enough room, cutting you off and then hitting the brakes. When you rear-end them, you'll have the devil's time proving you were not at fault.
steve0h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 14:59   #19

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrailsail View Post
Hello,
I'm new to boats, looking to figure out lots of stuff, but I have one doubt that I must clarify upfront.
When I look at specs for a boat, usually there is the indicated displacement and then the ballast weigth.
What is the actual total weigth of the boat, for trailering?
Do I have to add the two or is the ballast just fyi?
Or is that no usefull indication of trailerable weigth and I must check some other way?

I have a fairly limited towing weigth for my car, 1180kg or 2600lbs, and that will have to include the trailer along with outboard engine, etc... so I need to figure this out first...

Thanks for any help.
Pedro.
I think you need to look more closely at the capacity of your vehicle. and what class hitch you can get and it's capacity.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 17:35   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I'll probably get fussed at for posting this, but a vehicles trailering capacity is based on highway speeds, unlimited distances and probable mountainous terrain.

( in my opinion)

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Not to sound mean or rude. However the vehicles towing capacity is basedon how much weight a vehicle can start moving on a set grade and stop in a specified distance from a set speed. Iirc
However in any case don't overload it in the event of an accident if you are overloaded they will blame you regardless of what actually happens.
newhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 18:30   #21

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

With trailering I always err on the safe side. Pulling something over your weight restriction can get you a pretty good ticket, and they won't let you continue, have to hire a tow truck. Also weight distribution is important, going down a hill when the trailer has more momentum than the tow
vehicle is very scary. I have had a trailer try to pass me at 110 kmh. It took both lanes to recover and only once I started going uphill again. That trailer was within my weight restriction but back heavy with firewood.
In terms of actual weight of the boat is concerned, your best bet is to hook it up and drive to the closest scales. They are free, and will give you the actual weight including trailer, kit and all. This will also give you an idea of how it pulls, and the condition of the trailer, which is as important as the boat.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 21:27   #22

Boat: Farr 1020

Just to tweak the inform Cadence..... The towing weight limit is not about getting up a ramp, it is more about the braking on a highway.
If the tower is a factory standard, or an aftermarket accessory may affect this as well.
Vehicle limits do not always align with the local road registration requirements. In Portugal, I would check the registration / road license Authorities as well as the vehicle manufacturer.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2015, 21:28   #23

Boat: Farr 1020

Blasted auto correct spell checker......That was "..info from Cadence..."
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 04:03   #24

Thanks everyone!

The trailerable weight I wrote is the official one, in PT it's written on the vehicle "papers".
For that weight, 1180kg or 2600lbs, the trailer needs its own brakes.
Without own brakes it's 750kgs or 1650lbs.
I already have the hitch attached, and the suspended weight is 110kg or 240lbs, the most I could get, which I think is what cabo_sailor mentioned earlier about tongue weight.

I am a naturally prudent person, so I'll need to make sure, not only that its legal, but that it is safe...
And that includes safe to tow out of the ramp... without killing the engine or transmission... and without the car going in to the water...

Pedro.
ptrailsail is offline   Reply With Quote