Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2013, 10:55   #106

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Bluewater Cruisers for under $15,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
asi said i found my nicely newly derelict formosa fully equipped for 10kusd''so ihad to change out some instruments whil eunderway'ˇ'i updated garmin gpos from 182 to 498, i added a nother transducer andf put y 3000 miles on this boat before doing much other than changing out dead engine for another one and reinforcing bow deck by changing out the backing plate which supports the windlasses and sprit and ...
so..let them say you cannot find a decent basic bluewater boat for under 15000usd--it is possible
you wont die--just fix it a bit and go. then fix it some more and go.until it is fixed enough to your liking, then GO....
might be a bit of a project, but they are out here. happy hunting.
She has a point. After I paid the $2,000 for my Bristol 27, I painted the bottom and went. The diesel blew a head gasket soon after so I replaced with a new 4 stroke 5 Hp Mercury outboard for $1500. And went again. Replaced running rigging, added 60 watt solar panel, controller, and inverter and went again. Then replaced the main with a new one and went again. Had trouble with the roller furler jamming but was able to fix it while boat was sailing on autopilot, sail flailing. me blowing chunks but it's fine now .............most of the time.

I do have my 16'6" foldable kayak onboard though incase I need to abondon ship, but so far so good..

When I saw went, I'm talking sailing down the Chesapeake 75 miles to Va Beach. From there, back and forth across the 17-18 mile mouth of the Chesapeake Bay. It ain't "Bluewater" but you can die just as dead if you screw up especially in a good NE Wind.

The boat is holding up fine, and I have made no structural repairs.

I could probably use it to sail the islands but we'll see. I may .........need a bigger boat!

The guy at the Bristol.com site on the other hand has been trying to make his 27 perfect and is still working on it. I think it's been 3 years now and it hasn't hit the water yet. My boat; his site: (some of these pictures are of how the boat was when I found it. It had been on the hard 5 years)

http://www.bristol27.com/bristol-spe...5-winter-dream
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 11:02   #107

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40
Smile Re: Bluewater Cruisers for under $15,000

I do believe that it will be very hard to find a boat that is 100% ready and in good enough condition that you can jump on, and safely, hit the ocean with immediately for 15,000.

But I also believe that if you find a boat with good bones, that you can sail on in local waters for awhile and spend some time doing upgrades over time...you could end up with a good cruiser. Or you could live aboard it and find out if the cruising life is really for you.

As an example, we bought and fixed up and are now selling an S-2 center cockpit 9.2 (30 ft.) that we got our feet wet with....learning how to sail, make boat repairs and maintenance, enjoy coastal cruising etc.

We are now selling it because we ended up deciding that we wanted something bigger when we retire and go full time. We know that we will never get the money we put into the boat back out of it....were asking close to the price you are looking to spend. And we could have added more systems and turned it into our live aboard cruiser...but there is three of us and we realized 30' was just going to be too small for us. We have it listed in the classifieds on this site.

There are boats out there that are in good condition and reasonably priced....you just have to probably look at a lot of them and figure out what you can live with and what you can't, what work you are willing to do and how much time you are willing to devote to making your dream real. Sometimes you have to spend a few more years working and saving to get what you want. But don't ever give up!
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 11:06   #108
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

truth. there is not any boat 100 percent ready to go for under 20k...even an islander 30. bt,seen that....one must pay the taxes on freedom-be those taxes repairs on a boat or what they be..
enjoy your search. i love my cheapo boat.
3000 milesis not to laugh at, and runaway diesel is repaired for now--lol new rebuild on injector půmp and lift pump and transmission heat exchanger were all together under 300 usd with complete rebuilds of each
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2013, 11:24   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWench View Post
I do believe that it will be very hard to find a boat that is 100% ready and in good enough condition that you can jump on, and safely, hit the ocean with immediately for 15,000.

But I also believe that if you find a boat with good bones, that you can sail on in local waters for awhile and spend some time doing upgrades over time...you could end up with a good cruiser. Or you could live aboard it and find out if the cruising life is really for you.

As an example, we bought and fixed up and are now selling an S-2 center cockpit 9.2 (30 ft.) that we got our feet wet with....learning how to sail, make boat repairs and maintenance, enjoy coastal cruising etc.

We are now selling it because we ended up deciding that we wanted something bigger when we retire and go full time. We know that we will never get the money we put into the boat back out of it....were asking close to the price you are looking to spend. And we could have added more systems and turned it into our live aboard cruiser...but there is three of us and we realized 30' was just going to be too small for us. We have it listed in the classifieds on this site.

There are boats out there that are in good condition and reasonably priced....you just have to probably look at a lot of them and figure out what you can live with and what you can't, what work you are willing to do and how much time you are willing to devote to making your dream real. Sometimes you have to spend a few more years working and saving to get what you want. But don't ever give up!
From above:

This is the key point if you are trying to buy a first boat. I'm coming from the catamaran racing world. Cruising is so different and the slowness takes some getting used to as do the boats. So, why spend $40,000 plus if you are not sure sailing/cruising is for you.

Not saying slowness is a bad thing. You get to notice things that have nothing to do with racing.

And in my case learn things like docking, coming in to a shallow anchorage (or any anchorage for that matter) with a keel that you cannot pull up, motoring, autopilots, reefing, bilge pumps, lighting, etc, etc
Old 01-10-2013, 16:31   #110

This guy did a couple circumnavigations on an old Pearson Triton.

I'm not sure where these folks are coming from that are saying you cannot buy a Bluewater Cruising boat for under $15,000 unless they believe the boat has to be like living in a home.

It's a boat! Things get wet. You don't sleep well some nights.

I was at a marina recently and the couples on the most expensive sailboats were playing solitaire on their computers and whatnot. (dressed in deck shoes and button up shirts.....jeez) They had sailed across the bay to do that!

Back to cruising. Be sure and check out this guy's cruising boat list:

Atom Voyages - Cruising FAQ
Old 01-10-2013, 16:44   #111
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Bluewater Cruisers for under $15,000

Okay... the boat with the wet bulkhead... I'll bet its wet to maybe 3-6inches above the floor... now some will say you need a new bulkhead... loada bollocks... cut away the wet bit (carefully) and use it as a template for fresh ply.. fit under existing section, glass/tab it in... epoxy fill the join and glass with 4oz cloth to re enforce... Bobs yer Uncle...
You fix as you travel... even folks with brand new boats do that... tho' they may not admit it...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 17:36   #112

Boat: Ericson 27

zeehag, I be inspired!
boatman61, bingo! that's what my gut's been telling me the whole time.
Tomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 17:42   #113

Boat: Ericson 27

thomm225, love the Bristol! I have a teenage daughter who will be with me regularly for nights/weekends, so a 27 may be a bit close, but if I was on my own I'd jump at one.
Tomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 22:16   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Good comparison. No one would be stupid enough to think that they should buy the plane before they know anything at all about flying. Not, at least, unless they have money to throw away. So why is it that we get SOOOOOOO many people here who think that buying the boat is the very first thing that they should do--before they even have a clue how they MIGHT use it, let alone having learned enough to have a good idea how they will REALLY use it?

And honestly, I mean absolutely no offense to the OP. You're not unusual. Not at all. This board gets questions like this every week. Hundreds, if not thousands, have tried to put the cart before the horse, which is what you're doing.

I'm just constantly flummoxed by why it is that so very many people seem to approach it this way. I guess maybe, as mentioned before, it comes down to the general public just has an amazing lack of understanding, and lack of respect, for what the sea can do to you if you take it too lightly.
Actually, if you're pretty sure you want to own an airplane. buying one first and learning to fly in it is probably the most cost effective way to go. Buying a boat to get into boating isn't such a bad way to go either. Waiting until you know enough about boating to get the right boat for the job is often a waste of time--because the job might well end up being a different one after a couple of years than what you had originally bargained for. Of course, doing what the OP suggests at the pace he suggests on the budget he suggests--is just silly. But the nice thing about having a budget of only $15000 is that one stands the chance of giving the sailing thing a try without it eating up the entire retirement fund.
sardinebreath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 07:27   #115

Boat: Hughes 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardinebreath View Post

Actually, if you're pretty sure you want to own an airplane. buying one first and learning to fly in it is probably the most cost effective way to go. Buying a boat to get into boating isn't such a bad way to go either. Waiting until you know enough about boating to get the right boat for the job is often a waste of time--because the job might well end up being a different one after a couple of years than what you had originally bargained for. Of course, doing what the OP suggests at the pace he suggests on the budget he suggests--is just silly. But the nice thing about having a budget of only $15000 is that one stands the chance of giving the sailing thing a try without it eating up the entire retirement fund.
As long as we are throwing money around with the intent of saving It. If you really want to save money then buy the plane and get your A&P then learn to fly.
I think the same could go for boats. Buy the boat get engine rebuild training/boat repair training then take some actual boating lessons...
Old 02-10-2013, 08:16   #116

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

I would never buy the plane before learning how to fly and knowing a great deal about planes. If you think boats cost a lot in maintenance you should go buy a plane and see how that works.
You have to have annual inspections, by a qualified mechanic and the stuff that gets fixed has to be signed off on as well. Want insurance....you better have a bunch of experience and be signed off by a qualified instructor as well.
Buying something before you have any knowledge of what all is involved in the costs that come afterwards is setting yourself up for failure.
WebWench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 18:52   #117
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardinebreath View Post
You would not belive the dozens of aircraft that I have bought out of someones shop or barn that never flew them,Denver Don is correct in that if you dont know if its for you, then maybe you should find out first.I would hate to spend money on a whim or a wishful thought only to not like it afterward..My GFs father has a brand new V hull motorboat w/100hp engine out in the barn and he went out in it once 17 yrs ago,it has not been run sense...I took him out Bill fishing once and he got sick as hell,told me later that was why the boat in the barn was still sitting there after all those years...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 19:45   #118

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Dunno if the OP ever got a real answer, but here's my crack at it.

You need to start looking at boats. Read the new listings on YachtWorld and similar sites every day. You are looking for boats that are NOT listed, but WERE listed - kind of tricky, I know. The point is that you want to find what SOLD boats were sold for, not what UNSOLD boats are listed at.

You can buy a boat for any amount of money. Will it work for you? Only you can decide - you have to go look at it.

There is only one thing for sure, you will get the boat you can afford. Nobody ever got more boat than they really wanted unless money was just plain NO object for them.

The reason a cheap boat is cheap is that it is poorly outfitted, or it is worn out. Either one will cost you in refitting or repair costs. Generally, it is better to get a boat that is fully outfitted and in good repair, and that costs $$$. You have to have a MAJOR love for fixup to do any less. Even if you are crazy that way, the cost of parts alone will shock you.

So go on, hit the boat listings and start showing up on docks. It's the only way. The academic approach just doesn't work. You're not buying a Honda Civic.
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 20:20   #119

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Tomi:

Here's one in your area:

Search Results

Hughes 38, same as Fatty Goodlander's.

AD says $2500. I don't know anything about it, might be worth a call.
There are a lot of these boats in your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomi View Post
thomm225, love the Bristol! I have a teenage daughter who will be with me regularly for nights/weekends, so a 27 may be a bit close, but if I was on my own I'd jump at one.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 06:10   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWench View Post
Buying something before you have any knowledge of what all is involved in the costs that come afterwards is setting yourself up for failure.
Exactly. Like I said, if you've got money to throw away, fine. Go ahead. If it turns out that you really don't enjoy the whole thing, so what? It's just money.

And, yes, if you are absolutely sure that this is for you, and you are absolutely sure that you are going to enjoy it and see it through for the long haul, then it can be less expensive to buy first and learn later. But the whole point is that most people, and certainly the OP, are NOT all that "absolutely sure." They've never tried it, don't know anything about it, and while they may THINK they are going to love it, they cannot possibly know for sure.

For people like that, as you said WebWench, you are setting yourself up for failure if you spend large amounts of money on a boat (or a plane, or anything else, for that matter) when your don't yet really know if it's for you.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser, water