Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2023, 13:48   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31
Beneteau Cyclades / Moorings 51.5

Hi everyone - we're considering purchasing a 2006 Beneteau Cyclades 51.5, intended for long-term double-handed cruising (with guest crew for passages). We like the size and layout, and my tall partner is a fan of the cabin height. But we have some concerns about the design ratios and sea kindliness, as well as any flaws that might be rooted in the model's original intent as a dedicated charter boat. Because the Cyclades were designed as charter boats, owners' reviews are hard to find. Any current or former Cyclades (51.5 especially) owners have opinions on the boat?

Second, and this may be a bit un-kosher, but are there any current Cyclades owners on the U.S. East Coast who would be willing to take us out for a test sail? The boat we're interested in is on the hard, and while the broker is obviously willing to do a sea trial, we'd have to sink some money in to get to that point. So if there are any current owners in our area (Virginia - but we're willing to take a little road trip) that would be willing to take us on a day sail in exchange for some dinner, that would be wonderful.
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2023, 14:55   #2

Re: Beneteau Cyclades / Moorings 51.5

We rented two of these in Croatia a while ago. Nice boats at anchor and good charter accommodations. Pretty easy to dock with strong engine and bow thruster. However very slow to sail and somewhat under-rigged. Clearly designed to be handled by beginners. I would hesitate to buy one and go on longer cruises. These are no passage makers I would assume. But if you plan to cruise shorter distances and spend a lot of time docked or at anchor you probably will get a lot of boat for your money
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:22   #3

Boat: 1969 Frers custom, 39.5ft Sloop

I don't own one, but I spent two summer seasons working for a sailing camp in the Caribbean living aboard one, and sailed them in a variety of conditions.

I agree with everything that Flod said in their experience with them. The one I sailed didn't have a bow thruster, but for two people I would almost call it a necessity - it's a very high hull with a lot of windage.

In my case, summer trade winds blowing a steady 20kts in the Leeward Islands, we left a single reef in the main and were comfortable in most conditions from a sail handling perspective. Off the wind and with following seas, the boat was actually exciting to handle. Going upwind was a different story. Our tacks were typically 50-55 degrees to either side of the wind, making lots of leeway. Though perhaps not as bad as the newest ultra-wide and flat charter boats (of which I don't have experience), the boat also pounded horribly going into head seas. In my opinion it took more than the usual care while helming through the waves to reduce the felt impact and shudder.

This is just my personal experience, but while attempting to sleep (or at least close my eyes) in one of the forward cabins on the upwind Anegada passage - I could feel the hull, athwartships bulkhead, and fore and aft cabin divider moving independently as the boat worked and slammed over the waves. Maybe this is how they're intended to move, but it didn't inspire confidence.

There are lots of nooks to store goods, but like most charter boats, the boat maximized interior volume at the cost of storage space and offshore comfort.
The boat I worked on had two large diesel tanks under the aft cabins, serving a large engine that was really useful for motoring through a squall or quick docking maneuvers. The fridge/freezer is enormous - We fit provisions for 12 people for 10 days in them! The lengthwise galley was fine at anchor and with folks seated at the table opposite, but not convenient when sailing.

I think the boat did well for what it was designed to do - handle many people for shorter duration and be comfortable at anchor. People do live aboard and cruise all over, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a couple.
SVQuestOfPaget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 07:33   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Noord Nederland Seahawk 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVQuestOfPaget View Post
I agree with everything that Flod said in their experience with them. The one I sailed didn't have a bow thruster, but for two people I would almost call it a necessity - it's a very high hull with a lot of windage.

In my case, summer trade winds blowing a steady 20kts in the Leeward Islands, we left a single reef in the main and were comfortable in most conditions from a sail handling perspective. Off the wind and with following seas, the boat was actually exciting to handle. Going upwind was a different story. Our tacks were typically 50-55 degrees to either side of the wind, making lots of leeway. ... the boat also pounded horribly going into head seas. In my opinion it took more than the usual care while helming through the waves to reduce the felt impact and shudder.

This is just my personal experience, but while attempting to sleep (or at least close my eyes) in one of the forward cabins on the upwind Anegada passage - I could feel the hull, athwartships bulkhead, and fore and aft cabin divider moving independently as the boat worked and slammed over the waves. Maybe this is how they're intended to move, but it didn't inspire confidence.

I think the boat did well for what it was designed to do - handle many people for shorter duration and be comfortable at anchor. People do live aboard and cruise all over, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a couple.
Thanks for this insight - everything you've said is pretty aligned with my expectations of how she'd be. The one we're looking at also doesn't have bow thrusters and, in addition to adding a generator (current owner removed the original generator due to high hours and no need for it), adding bow thrusters would be our first project (as well as a negotiating point).

The pounding and sportiness is what I suspected based on the design ratios. It's something we have to decide whether or not we're okay with, especially on passage. But it's helpful to have someone confirm it. Thanks!
KelseyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2023, 12:19   #5

I have logged 9632 nautical sea miles in a Cyclades 51.5 over 6 years. Very capable, speedy offshore yacht. Feel free to pm me
Offshore Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2023, 18:16   #6

Boat: Beneteau Cyclades 50
Thumbs up Re: Beneteau Cyclades / Moorings 51.5

I just bought one and I'm learning the systems now. If you ended up buying it, PM me as well
Vaultarian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beneteau, Cyclades, mooring