Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2016, 20:20   #1

Thistle owners?

Are there any Thistle owners on here?
tropicala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:27   #2

Re: Thistle

Someone from another group directed me here saying there were some Thistle owners but I guess I'm it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	My Thistle #3098.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	458.5 KB
ID:	131021  
Old 12-09-2016, 06:38   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Howdy!
I like a Thistle.
It has a special place in my heart. As I raced on one many years ago. Won some silver too!
But I don't own one. (I would)

Good luck on your search.

My guess is that a forum just for Thistle owners must exist, but not on this site (forum). I would expect there to be more Thistle owners and sailors on Sailnet.com or at sailing anarchy.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 06:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
My guess is that a forum just for Thistle owners must exist, but not on this site (forum). I would expect there to be more Thistle owners and sailors on Sailnet.com or at sailing anarchy.

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking but haven't found any. Lots of fleets/clubs that require paid membership but no active forums of any kind that I've found.

I bought one last week for my first boat and am finding out they can be pretty difficult to single hand, which I'll be doing and, since I've only sailed cruisers/day sailers in the 25' range, I've been looking for someone that would allow me to pick their brain.

Rick
Old 12-09-2016, 08:38   #5

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Have an acquaintance who raced and maybe owned one and may still.

I'll enquired with him.

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground you would never try to refloat it.
Adelie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2016, 08:54   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicala View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've been looking but haven't found any. Lots of fleets/clubs that require paid membership but no active forums of any kind that I've found.

I bought one last week for my first boat and am finding out they can be pretty difficult to single hand, which I'll be doing and, since I've only sailed cruisers/day sailers in the 25' range, I've been looking for someone that would allow me to pick their brain.

Rick
Hi Rick.
The thistle is an old (designed many years ago) racing "dinghy" class boat, and was considered a high performance racing boat. Designed to be sailed with crew, not designed for singlehanding, though that is not going to stop some..

It will have more sail controls and lines for you to identify and manage than some simpler boats.

There are Thistles all around the USA.

You may find some Thistle sailors through their fleets.if you have questions, I would look for a fleet, contact them, and establish some contact with an onpwner who can help you with tips.

Here in CF, there are a few Thistle owners, past and present. I don't know them by name. You could search the threads for mention of Thistles in the links in this Google Custom search I did for you. Good luck. If you see a Thistle owner, send them a Private Message.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...tle&gsc.page=2
Old 12-09-2016, 14:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Have an acquaintance who raced and maybe owned one and may still.

I'll enquired with him.
Thanks, Adelie. I appreciate your reply.
Old 12-09-2016, 14:35   #8

Quote:
Hi Rick.
The thistle is an old (designed many years ago) racing "dinghy" class boat, and was considered a high performance racing boat. Designed to be sailed with crew, not designed for singlehanding, though that is not going to stop some..

It will have more sail controls and lines for you to identify and manage than some simpler boats.

There are Thistles all around the USA.

You may find some Thistle sailors through their fleets.if you have questions, I would look for a fleet, contact them, and establish some contact with an onpwner who can help you with tips.

Here in CF, there are a few Thistle owners, past and present. I don't know them by name. You could search the threads for mention of Thistles in the links in this Google Custom search I did for you. Good luck. If you see a Thistle owner, send them a Private Message.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...tle&gsc.page=2
I'm fairly web savvy but have never heard of a custom search. I appreciate your help and will check it out.

All of my sailing has been on inland lakes in cruiser type boats like the Catalina Capri 25' or Colgate 26, etc., so this boat is a little more technical than I would like but I'll give it a go. If it doesn't work for me I'll sell it in the spring and get something else. This is really just to play around with until it gets too cold to sail, which can be mid November here in Missouri.
Old 12-09-2016, 18:42   #9
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicala View Post
I'm fairly web savvy but have never heard of a custom search. I appreciate your help and will check it out.

All of my sailing has been on inland lakes in cruiser type boats like the Catalina Capri 25' or Colgate 26, etc., so this boat is a little more technical than I would like but I'll give it a go. If it doesn't work for me I'll sell it in the spring and get something else. This is really just to play around with until it gets too cold to sail, which can be mid November here in Missouri.
I thought of buying one last year.

If you can find crew, you may have more fun on it.

There may be videos on YouTube showing them sailing...I seem to recall seeing one last year.

This should help you here on CF.
------------

There is a vast amount of information here and many helpful members who have extensive experience.

How can you quickly find answers to common questions in earlier threads or discussions?

Here is something I like to share with new members here, because it helps me each day I visit here. I hope it will help you too.

My Favorite CF Forum Tip: Use the Google Custom Search Function

I know that most people who are new to this forum might try the ordinary search function of the forum when they have a question in mind. Unfortunately that always yielded few results for me when I tried that when I first joined this forum. In contrast, a standard Google search outside of the forum can produce a bewildering list of links too. It was only later that I learned to quickly and easily find great links to archived or previous threads on a topic.

I only use the Google Custom Search field on this forum when searching this forum, and I find all the answers I need here too using that.

I find it superior to an ordinary search using the standard "search" field and usually get the answers I want very quickly. So, it is my "number one tip" to newer forum members. .

Note! The Google Custom Search field is found under the "Search" menu seen at the top of your browser window when you are in the CF forum on any page. However, it is NOT shown as an option if you are viewing the Forum site using the CF Mobile app. Use a browser like Safari instead.
Old 13-09-2016, 20:13   #10

Quote:
I thought of buying one last year.

If you can find crew, you may have more fun on it.
I have a willing crew but they have zero experience. It'll be interesting to say the least. Thanks for your help.

Rick
Old 13-09-2016, 21:11   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

A Thistle is a lovely boat to sail. I don't own one but my husband learned to sail as a teenager on a Thistle and has fond memories.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-09-2016, 04:49   #12

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Kijit

I have a Thistle that I am fixing up. Unfortunately, I haven't had it sailing yet so can't give any good advice!

Gerhard
Kijit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 11:06   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kijit View Post
I have a Thistle that I am fixing up. Unfortunately, I haven't had it sailing yet so can't give any good advice!

Gerhard
I don't even know if I have everything I need. Right now I'm fixing up a newer trailer I bought for it, new LED lights, wheel bearings, tires and wheels, straightening a bent jack and moving the winch back. The boat itself appears to be in good shape except for a few blocks and shackles I had to replace. I just need someone to tell me that I have everything I'll need.
Old 16-09-2016, 12:47   #14

I used to sail a Windmill, a smaller one design racer. I could not touch a Thistle in light air, beautiful and fast! I don't know why it would be such a challenge to singlehand unless you were flying a spinnaker.
Yetii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2016, 13:45   #15
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Thistle owners?

There are MANY Thistles out there, and they race and have "Nationals" and there are many crews who are experts.

To get an idea of how a three person crew (standard) sails (with spinnaker) just go to YouTube and search for "Thistle." You will see many videos of the boats screaming (fast for a small mono) across lakes and how the crews operate. There are also videos with experts coaching and narrating what should be done to sail them most efficiently. Plenty you can learn from online for free.

Good luck and Good Winds!