Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2020, 10:38   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 38 Commander 1965
Re: Be The Change - Bottom Paint

Despite the attractivness of a water based paint I have not found them very satisfactory. As a power Kater the bottom gets maintained regularly to prevent excess fuel use and performance issues. But I realize many sailors go years between bottom jobs and using a good quality paint is even more important.
If you don’t want buildup then use an ablative paint. But put on a coat or two of non ablative as a base first. Then with regular in water scrubbing you will keep the surface clean an loose a little in the process. But you won’t wear thru because of the non ablative.
Squanderbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 12:06   #17

Boat: 75' steel sutton ketch,Warwick 70' aluminum sloop

Use a chemical stripper. If you're that worried about it then strip it with a citrus based stripper...
s/v michaela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 14:40   #18

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

Thanks guys, for reminding me again why I am 6 years into my second application of Coppercoat in 20 years... Thank you so much.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 15:17   #19

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Get it grit blasted with water--the slip should have collecting scuppers and disposal. That is why you pay your environmental protection fee. A good operator will charge you a few hundred c bucks and take it down to the original gel-coat.

Then you apply an epoxy resin two-pack primer, and then when it has cured, two coats of waterproof chlorinated rubber barrier coat. The chlorinated rubber paint I used was black.

Then one or two coats of red antifouling hard type as used by high speed power cruisers, followed by two coats of soft self-ablating antifouling blue type as used by slower yachts. When you spot the red colour visible through the blue--book the slip.

Next time you will only have to go down to the red layer, then replace the blue layers. Every two years in my case.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 23:16   #20

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Buck View Post
I’m in the middle of my first foray taking anti fouling off the bottom of a boat. In a word - disgusting. Another word - disappointing. This can’t be the best we can do as yachtspeople.

I don’t know what paint is on my boat. I did find a quart of Interlux something but it’s gone and I don’t recall what it was other than it matched the colour on the bottom of the boat. Some of the paint is coming off like chalk, other sections the paint is hard as steel. Feels like two different products.

I’ve sanded which I can’t in good conscience continue to do. Unless I tent the boat and use a dust collection system which costs money I don’t have. I’d like to think there’s an accessible way through this.

I’ve used Interstrip and scraped which, unless I glob on in ways that will call for 18 gallons of the stuff, has been ineffective.

What do I do next? Is there a product to contain and or seal in this paint and then apply a new bottom paint over? That won’t cost me a fortune. That I can still get a nice, smooth finish with? I’m looking at Aqua Guard and Pettit Ultra Eco.

What can we do to make anti fouling a responsible endeavour? What can I do to the bottom of my boat?

Attachment 219160
Agree, the idea of an annual paint is just crazy. We have never applied such a product - never!

When our boat was new in 2012, we insisted (quite a 'discussion') the yard use Coppercoat. That was 2012, and still going strong. We just clean from time to time, and that's it.

If you wanted to go that way, being a two-component epoxy, you would need to remove all of the old stuff, but its the last time you would be doing it.

Anyway, we are happy.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 23:22   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
Thanks guys, for reminding me again why I am 6 years into my second application of Coppercoat in 20 years... Thank you so much.
So you got 14 years out of your first application of Coppercoat? Ours has been on since 2012, and I have been guessing 15 years or so. Your experience sounds about right then. We have never burnished ours, but it needs it now. How often did you do yours out of interest?
Old 14-07-2020, 06:58   #22

Boat: Cheoy Lee Perry 35

You guys are the best and I really appreciate it.

Scraped then sanded with vac attached. My mother’s Dyson. I might be in trouble.

At any rate - I’m down to the epoxy coat and want to build out from there. It was reportedly done a few years ago and looks to be in good shape.

I’m in the midst of a keel repair though. When I’m done should I think about going with a tie coat to get me to whichever bottom paint I decide on? Or just touch up with Interprotect the few spots where it needs attention and go straight to paint?

Also, on a vanity note...thinking of moving to black bottom. All in favour?

I’ve reached out to Interlux to get an idea of what their plans are for more ocean friendly paints. Will report back on my findings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4171.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	219320Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4161.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	219321Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4162.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	219322
Billy Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 07:07   #23
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Agree, the idea of an annual paint is just crazy.
Yes it is. It is also unnecessary. I have never understood why some people (and they always seem to be Aussies) seem to think that traditional anti fouling paints (both hard and ablative) properly applied don't provide good performance for multiple years. Almost all of them do. The only reason to haul and paint annually is because you want to. It certainly isn't because the boat needs it.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2020, 09:42   #24

Dear Billy Buck, so you used your mother's Dyson to clean off the bottom of your boat? As an old codger about to celebrate his 3rd quarter century on this earth, may I give you a little well intentioned advice? I would start running now, if I were you.....
Old 14-07-2020, 09:47   #25

About burnishing the coppercoat - to be honest, I think I gave it a going over once - otherwise just an annual strong pressure wash by the yard. I actually got 12 years out of the first coating, with some antifoul patching needed on bare patches in the last couple of years. The boat was then laid up for 2 years but that is another story.
Old 14-07-2020, 10:26   #26

I've hired a soda blaster and never regretted it. If you want to DIY, then carbide scraper for teh majority, then sand to finish with a dust collection system. I'm pretty sure dust isolation and collection is required just about everywhere in recent years.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2020, 21:33   #27

Talking Re: Be The Change - Bottom Paint

Quote:
Dear Billy Buck, so you used your mother's Dyson to clean off the bottom of your boat? As an old codger about to celebrate his 3rd quarter century on this earth, may I give you a little well intentioned advice? I would start running now, if I were you.....

Old 15-07-2020, 21:35   #28

Quote:
About burnishing the coppercoat - to be honest, I think I gave it a going over once - otherwise just an annual strong pressure wash by the yard. I actually got 12 years out of the first coating, with some antifoul patching needed on bare patches in the last couple of years. The boat was then laid up for 2 years but that is another story.
Thanks - sounds very similar to us then. Sure glad we went for it!
Old 16-07-2020, 01:12   #29

Boat: A185F, Mystic 30’ Cutter

Like the others said, sander on a vac, I just used one the yard had for rent, the yard even comped me for it.

Also I’m skeptical of the environment friendly marketed paint, in my experience in homes, boats, planes, etc the more nasty the paint the better it works, sad but true.

Washed with dawn
Hit with sander and heavy grit till smooth and dull looking
Cleaned dust off and masked with frog tape
Rolled/brushed new micron on
Pulled tape
Done.
NorthernMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2020, 09:59   #30

Boat: Freedom 38

Your diver will not be happy with black bottom paint though it sure does look nice!
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint