Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2020, 13:39   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 512 51 feet 6inches
Bahamas to Florida

Anybody know if you can bring a boat from the Bahamas to Florida at the moment?
newlazydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 13:42   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Re: Bahamas to Florida

Last I heard 14 days quarantine when you get in. Not sure if Bahamas is open yet. Update no flights on google for next few days
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 14:04   #3

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Bahamas is closed for entries but boats already there don't have problems clearing in to US. Boats in Bahamas are allowed to leave to another country but cannot cruise Bahamas nor go ashore.
Old 02-05-2020, 14:20   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

If you can get to the Bahamas, you can bring a boat back, of course already have the customs sticker, be registered and use the CBP roam app. We came back about a week ago, no word on Quarantine. If you don’t have the sticker and use the app, we were told you MUST present yourself in person to clear in at a CBP office, hint they want you using that app, they really don’t want you to come in, but pay for that sticker before you go if you don’t have one.
Initial getting back was an issue, depending on who you called it was yes you can get back, but must go direct with no stops, to no you can’t, Only the PM can authorize vessels departing.
Now there are rules in place and pretty lenient and realistic ones that acknowledge that we are a bunch of old Mom and Pop crews and direct without stopping may not be safe. Follow the rules, they are easy, don’t ruin it for others. I highly suggest you get in contact with the US Embassy, assuming your a US boat and they will send you Emails if things change. Print them out and if stopped show that your in compliance and almost certainly they will smile and wish you a safe trip as long as your following the rules.
We never saw a defense force boat and were never stopped, but we did talk to a few US Citizens on the radio that were flagrantly in violation, so beware, one bad apple kind of thing.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 14:49   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

And if you figure out how to get to the Bahamas let me know. It’s getting mighty close to hurricane season and I want our boat back from there.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 16:17   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Morgan 512 51 feet 6inches

I spoke to a friend who is in Treasure cay at the moment. He said that planes can come in to Treasure Cay airport but nobody is allowed off the plane. They have to hand out the cargo and then fly out again.
newlazydays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 17:32   #7

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

I've been moving boats around the US East Coast during the lockdowns for people who got stuck. If you figure out how to get into the Bahamas I'd like to know - lots of boats sitting there waiting to come home. Must be legal and able to bring about 3x3x3 of stuff including provisions.

Even if you can get in, you have to work around the Bahamian full lockdowns to get fuel and water.

Moving another stuck boat this week. Logistics are complex and ground transportation is hard.

If you are on the boat as your profile says you should be okay if you have enough fuel. I would skip Florida unless there is a good reason to go there. Brunswick or Charleston? If you have hurricane insurance box issues just head straight to Norfolk. Four days from Marsh Harbour on a 50+ boat.

Absolutely agree about getting your DTOPS sticker https://dtops.cbp.dhs.gov/main/#%20 and using ROAM https://www.cbp.gov/travel/pleasure-...-overview/roam for check-in. When you order the DTOPS sticker you can have it sent anywhere. All you need is the number - the physical sticker can catch up with you.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, florida