Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2017, 16:06   #76

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38
Re: Bad News for YouTube bloggers

Now I know where the fence name comes from! Do a couple of dinghy videos and see if you get traction!

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 17:25   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
I can't imagine much interest in our videos from this crowd, unless they are having trouble sleeping. lol Thanks for the luck, but since it's a quality Scottish product we are hocking, it pretty much sells it's self.
" Scottish product " , now you really got my interest, got to check this out soon as poss .
Cherod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 18:07   #78

Boat: SJ 21

Is YouTube sailing related? I now read CF daily and own a sailboat solely due to watching YouTube sailing videos. I don't know if the bloggers monetized my views but the sailing community certainly has. Sailing is the most expensive hobby I have ever participated in.
majones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2017, 18:48   #79

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by majones View Post
Is YouTube sailing related? I now read CF daily and own a sailboat solely due to watching YouTube sailing videos. I don't know if the bloggers monetized my views but the sailing community certainly has. Sailing is the most expensive hobby I have ever participated in.
Me too. We've always boated, but this whole family want's away from rat races and power boats......because of YouTube. I watched Delos from the beginning by total accident, and always figured there was $ coming from somewhere. Then, as more and more started to share their experiences, it didn't seem so impossible to do it without a trust fund. I still enjoy a Delos episode now and then, but our tastes as a family have evolved to enjoy the goofiness of the Sailboat Story, and other folks that seem to run with junk on a tight budget. My wife admits to actually liking a big boat project, and as some of you know, I am a fan of anything aluminum......so we save MJ Sailing and RAN Sailing for Sunday evenings after the youngin goes to bed. I really like SV Seeker, and hopefully get to spend a couple days welding on that beast this winter, even though it's the wrong shade of shiny. Dang right YouTube is sailing/cruising related.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 10:10   #80

Lets not forget, that the real cause of the changes to this service is Google purchasing YouTube. I think the outstanding feature of these 'new arrangements' for me is that some companies cannot be trusted. People entered into a good faith relationship with YouTube, and Google in their supreme wisdom had decided to change it. Its clear to me when they get away with this other things will follow.

What will happen to the copyright of your content for the future, to answer that just look at Googles past. Google itself has been dismissive of other peoples/agencies copyright in the past, where they virtually steal web-news content and re-broadcast it within their own channels.

The original agencies lose their click advertising commission because Google have stolen it and moved it on. Eventually agencies more dependent on this income wither and fail. Along the way Google collect peoples data and use it to trade with product vendors.

Of course Google aren't the only ones, Photobucket also had a long standing arrangement and free content. Then they decided to change the rules so that images couldn't be republished on web services like this one, and the links to millions of images, posted in good faith, disappeared.

Now we have older interesting threads in this fora and others where the images used for description have vanished, and the value that the poster intended is lost. I know of a build thread in particular with hundreds of images illustrating some 5 yrs of build history, now completely erased.

I think its despicable
Old 30-09-2017, 11:40   #81

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

I’m posting in it but not sure of the point of this discussion. People with less than 10,000 lifetime veiws aren’t earning anything anyhow. And no one starts a channel thinking “oh I’d love to hover around less than 10,000 veiws across all my videos for life of my channel.”
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 11:42   #82

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post
Lets not forget, that the real cause of the changes to this service is Google purchasing YouTube. I think the outstanding feature of these 'new arrangements' for me is that some companies cannot be trusted. People entered into a good faith relationship with YouTube, and Google in their supreme wisdom had decided to change it. Its clear to me when they get away with this other things will follow.

What will happen to the copyright of your content for the future, to answer that just look at Googles past. Google itself has been dismissive of other peoples/agencies copyright in the past, where they virtually steal web-news content and re-broadcast it within their own channels.

The original agencies lose their click advertising commission because Google have stolen it and moved it on. Eventually agencies more dependent on this income wither and fail. Along the way Google collect peoples data and use it to trade with product vendors.

Of course Google aren't the only ones, Photobucket also had a long standing arrangement and free content. Then they decided to change the rules so that images couldn't be republished on web services like this one, and the links to millions of images, posted in good faith, disappeared.

Now we have older interesting threads in this fora and others where the images used for description have vanished, and the value that the poster intended is lost. I know of a build thread in particular with hundreds of images illustrating some 5 yrs of build history, now completely erased.

I think its despicable

Google purchased Youtube in 2006... more than 11 years ago. Youtube was founded in 2005.

Matt
Old 30-09-2017, 13:04   #83
Zep

Quote:
Originally Posted by funjohnson View Post
Google purchased Youtube in 2006... more than 11 years ago. Youtube was founded in 2005.

Matt
Oh dear why didn't I think of it.
Could have called it ZepTube made a motza and sold it to Google.
Zep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 13:17   #84

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I’m posting in it but not sure of the point of this discussion. People with less than 10,000 lifetime veiws aren’t earning anything anyhow. And no one starts a channel thinking “oh I’d love to hover around less than 10,000 veiws across all my videos for life of my channel.”
It's all much ado about nothing. It's over pennies. If you reach decent volume you'll be compensated. If not, then they won't put forth the effort to pay you a dollar or two a year.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 16:57   #85

Boat: 1984 Moody 27

Is it really much ado about nothing? I didn't originate the threat about the whopping $0.30 cents I've earned this year through YouTube. It's more about how even the guys who have no need to cut the budget take advantage of their users.

I have to admit I was pretty irritated that they changed the policy. I've honestly no idea what behind the scenes prompted the change. We can all speculate, but only those who were in that meeting really know the reasoning behind it. I'd never even set up the payout so I wasn't going to collect anytime soon anyway. It's just the whole idea that we made an agreement and they were able to backtrack, change the policy, and yet still continue to profit from mine and many others efforts.

There's been some pretty interesting stuff said in this thread. I'm surprised it made it to six pages.

I was glad to see there were some folks who got into sailing because of watching YouTube videos. At least we can say they got out and did something fun and worthwhile. I go every week somewhere. Last night it was over to the next Gulf inlet and back. My crummy action cam doesn't do low light, so not much for video, but a great sail. It picked up enough that I ended up double reefed and still a bit overpowered. So much for 10-13 knots of wind.

Today was supposed to be building seas 5-9 feet. My sail back took all day as there was little wind and what was there was just enough to make you work for it. It was almost flat too. Typical Florida late afternoon pop-up make the last hour enjoyable. I was so busy just trying to sail back that I forgot I took my camera.
Seeking Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2017, 21:34   #86

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeking Solace View Post
Is it really much ado about nothing? .
Yes. Businesses change rules all the time and this one isn't material to anyone. I'm sure at some point they analyzed what it cost them to process all the minuscule payments. There are many affiliate programs that only pay when you reach a minimum level.

Amazon is a good example. If you elect to be paid by direct deposit or by gift card, they don't have to pay until you hit $10. If you want to be paid by check, they wait until you're owed $100 and then charge a $15 processing fee.

Many companies don't refund credit balances below $5 or $10 unless you request them.

The cost of processing small payments outweighs any benefit. It's the reason credit card processors have a transaction charge in addition to the percentage charge.

I try to reserve my complaints and conspiracy theories for material amounts.

I don't argue the OP's right to complain. I just personally think it's a bit unwarranted.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:08   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
just another small guy getting screwed by "The Man",benefiting from their labour for free.....same old, same old.....
Agreed but there are some interesting projects out there solving the problem. LBRY is an interesting one based on blockchains and cryptocurrency payments. http://lbry.io
Alberg30Shill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 07:18   #88

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Fail to see what the issue is. If Google brings nothing to the table then just host the videos yourself, build traffic/viewers, then locate and sell your traffic to advertisers. You retain 100% of the rights and revenue. Easy peasy.

Unless your trying to get a free ride on their structure, their pool of advertisers and their traffic volume.
Old 01-10-2017, 07:21   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
In my experience, the perspective of whether pofit is good or bad is usually heavily relative to who is making the profit. If its "The Man" its bad...unless U Da Man. 😆
I have no desire to profit from others free labor or exploitation. Do you?
Old 01-10-2017, 08:26   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Is the underlying assumption is that vloggers have some kind of "right" to use the business resources of others?
When they have a virtual monopoly, it's not a right, it's the only option for people. People traditionally have the right to a share of the profits they have made for a business, even that isn't a given any more.