Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2016, 14:39   #121

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Are Power Boaters Clueless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sailboat racing is both a physical and an intellectual challenge. Perhaps the latter is why some power boaters find it hard to understand.
Good job I'd just put my coffee down when I read that!
Can I borrow it?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 14:39   #122

Thanks! What an interesting (and arresting) video!
Old 27-09-2016, 16:47   #123
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
Can't we all just get along? Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing Delancey.

This kind of local Port guide for boaters, explained simply by experienced skippers is great!

This should be the blueprint of how to make the same teaching video for every crowded waterway
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 17:24   #124

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have been out the past 8 days and just have to wonder if power boaters are clueless about wakes. I've been in No Wake zones, narrow channels, anchorages, and mooring fields and all the power boats do is blast through.

So wonder if they are clueless or just plain don't give a crap.

Some of the wakes I've had to deal with put me in a bad position for control and safety.
Well I kinda agree but that would be wrong because there's 1% who are not.
And of course grouping all power boats may be incorrect. I've had trawlers who should know better create terrible wakes without care.
Near Hart Island and East Bridge we had a Coast Guard boat nail us with a wake that tossed stuff out of the galley nets, we hung on for dear life.
But then again, you know what power boaters call sailors, right?
WAFIs -wind assisted f-----g idiots.
Cmon , you've had to have heard that one...
So in my estimation they are not clueless, they just have a greater opinion of themselves, and they of course don't waste their attitudes one iota.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2016, 18:01   #125

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
.............. Why would you want to set a race course across a channel? The channel traffic could affect some of the racers which would cause extra problems the race committee who sets the course to have to deal with
Perhaps because you're not thinking of anyone else, just your race. Just like the guy in the sportfish who is thinking only of getting to the fishing grounds.
Old 27-09-2016, 18:05   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Common, around here. Indeed, why would a race committee do that?

One of the most difficult racing fleets to get through around here are small dinghies (or prams, or some such; look like about 16' or so)... when there are about 50 of the suckers spread out all over the entrance channels into Annapolis harbor. Some heading upwind, some heading downwind, some just rounding their marks... but mostly all over the place, going slow.

-Chris
It's not just Annapolis, it's everywhere and yes, circling back and forth across the channel. And if you try to make your way through, they yell at you.
Old 27-09-2016, 18:08   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Sailboat racing is both a physical and an intellectual challenge. Perhaps the latter is why some power boaters find it hard to understand............
Well, that's just ignorant.
Old 27-09-2016, 21:32   #128

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

As to the replies, comments are surely running rampant, both serious and ridiculously funny

I find it strange that some of us prefer to just sit back and let the heathen have his way in spite of said regulation. As it were then, shall we assume that anarchy would be the better norm ? Really ?
That would seem to say that we should just sit back and take road rage in stride as it is normal and common so crack one open and watch ?
That's baloney !
At least let the authorities know even if they may prove useless and clueless too.
Blast your horn , make an attempt to communicate, lay the laser cannon across their bow...
Apathy sucks !
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 04:01   #129

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Perhaps because you're not thinking of anyone else, just your race. Just like the guy in the sportfish who is thinking only of getting to the fishing grounds.
Race committee sets the race, not the racers.

I haven't raced since 2006, but did sail out to watch one here recently.

Race Committee set the race to start north of the busy Thimble Shoal Shipping Channel so there would be no foul ups with sailboats and ships. The race went north from there to Cape Charles which is about 20 miles distant.

For the first time, I had a radio onboard when a race occurred. It's different here though on the water. You have Va Beach Police, Norfolk Police Boats, Coast Guard Boats, Navy Patrol Boats, Seals on their small fast boats, etc.

Long story short one of the racers apparently thought he might be late to the line. A pilot on a container ship hailed him several times without answer.........then radioed the police boat to intercept him before he attempted to cross the ships bow

https://www.google.com/search?q=thim...G_yNWu8N52M%3A

https://www.google.com/search?q=thim...UQHqPVgUqkM%3A
thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 05:08   #130
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
As to the replies, comments are surely running rampant, both serious and ridiculously funny

I find it strange that some of us prefer to just sit back and let the heathen have his way in spite of said regulation. As it were then, shall we assume that anarchy would be the better norm ? Really ?
That would seem to say that we should just sit back and take road rage in stride as it is normal and common so crack one open and watch ?
That's baloney !
At least let the authorities know even if they may prove useless and clueless too.
Blast your horn , make an attempt to communicate, lay the laser cannon across their bow...
Apathy sucks !
This I think is an important point. First I'm sure all of us have to admit that one can't call ALL powerboaters clueless idiots. Plenty of experienced and courteous boaters on power boats as well as plenty of clueless idiots on sailboats. It cuts both ways.

And I agree that one shouldn't let the actions of another ruin your fun, even for a minute. You can run into idiots and a**holes anytime, anyplace, sea or land and it just isn't worth loosing your cool over someone else's transgressions. BUT, I do think there is a strong argument for at least reporting egregious violations of the regulations, be the violator power or sail. Call to the USCG on 16 with the boat name, course and speed costs nothing and may at least get the transgressor's name on a call log somewhere.

So, now time for my favorite waking story. Many years ago I was a broker in Ft Lauderdale and worked in an office right on the water under the 17th St bridge. We also had about 15-20 slips in front of the office where boats for sale could dock. One weekend a guy that just took delivery on a new powerboat (about 70' Denison if I recall) with monster jet drives decided it was time to try out his engines. Just after he passed under the bridge headed for the cut he gunned it. The resulting wake broke over the seawall protecting our docking area like a tsunami causing tens of thousands in damage to hulls smashing against pilings, rigs tangling as the boats rolled and stuff thrown around inside the boats. There was much more damage in docks all around this part of the harbor. Fortunately someone got the boat's name and the owner paid for it all.

We learned that this wasn't the only asinine action from this guy. Turned out he had recently bought a big, fancy house on Long Island but there was other property between his house and the water with large trees blocking the view. He asked to clear that area so he could see the water but was turned down both by the property owners and local regulations. Then mysteriously the next spring all the trees between his house and the water died. The cause was obvious and he was again fined and required to plant new trees. However since it would take new trees many years to grow tall enough to block his view he got what he wanted and he had enough money he didn't care about the fines.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 06:41   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Most of my racing was along the Gulf Coast of Florida and Mississippi plus TVA Lakes in Tennessee and Mississippi and rarely do I remember the races interrupting channels etc.

Why would you want to set a race course across a channel? The channel traffic could affect some of the racers which would cause extra problems the race committee who sets the course to have to deal with
I suspect it's because they don't want to sail an hour or two to the race course before starting the race but to be honest, I haven't had opportunity to ask.

I agree it sure seems stupid but we've seen it all over the place.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 06:42   #132
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I have enjoyed reading this thread, and want to thank each of you for contributing, so far. Although I have been a victim of poor seamanship, wake, etc., my small contribution has nothing do with regulations, or reporting, or such. Having read these all, I think there are some of you I would absolutely love to be on a crew with, and some that I would pass on.

Next time I'm bouncing around my cockpit because some yahoo blew by me in a go-fast boat, or cursing some sailor who can't figure out whether port or starboard tack gives way, I will try to remember this thread and look at the other 95% of my horizon - the bright sun (or cold grey clouds!), Mother Ocean's waves, and the indescribable beauty of my little boat.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 07:54   #133

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Securite, Securite, Securite. Canadian Coast Guard vessel being piloted in a dangerous manner. Any vessel in vicinity of Port Dover take heed.

I've done this before.

Yep. Me too. Except I've never had a problem w/ Canadian CG or LE, just US. The problem is they are cops with boats, not boaters with guns, and as a result have no more clue than most powerboaters- in fact, I think that they believe themselves entitled and above law and courtesy.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 08:07   #134
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Trusty View Post
I have enjoyed reading this thread, and want to thank each of you for contributing, so far. Although I have been a victim of poor seamanship, wake, etc., my small contribution has nothing do with regulations, or reporting, or such. Having read these all, I think there are some of you I would absolutely love to be on a crew with, and some that I would pass on.

Next time I'm bouncing around my cockpit because some yahoo blew by me in a go-fast boat, or cursing some sailor who can't figure out whether port or starboard tack gives way, I will try to remember this thread and look at the other 95% of my horizon - the bright sun (or cold grey clouds!), Mother Ocean's waves, and the indescribable beauty of my little boat.
Welcome to the easy going, no stress crowd.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2016, 08:51   #135

Boat: Lots of boats.

Quote:
Welcome to the easy going, no stress crowd.
This really resonated with me. I find the older I get, the less tolerant I become (grumpy old man syndrome). But I find when I am tolerant, a load is lifted from my soldiers. Perhaps there is something more to "turn the other cheek or love your enemy" than meets the eye. It also reminds me of the saying (paraphrased) accept what you cannot change and change what you can. With emphasis on the first part. Living with these things in the back of my head have made me a happier person.

My ex worries about everything and gets mad about almost anything. She is in a constant state of misery. She takes life's "bad luck" personally and cannot recover from death in the family and other calamities that face us each and every day. Whereas I morn the loss or ponder what I could have done differently to learn a life lesson and move on. Even seeking comedy in the face of adversity. So to all those that live their lives in anger, fear or paranoia, Hakuna Matata !
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power boat