Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2022, 15:42   #61

Re: Any NON-U-tubers out there sailing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
I know a couple of the more popular/successful you-tubers quite well and have to say that they seem to work bloody hard/put in a lot of hours for the income that they're actually deriving.
Think you're right but am flummoxed to understand WHY it takes them so long to edit their stuff unless they're popping in animations and all sortsa extraneous fluff.

Makes me wonder about organizational skills as well as editing capabilities.

Sure, if you want a super snazzy program, it's going to take longer. But 40 HOURS???

Biggest time commitment should be uploading depending on some of the off-the-wall places we have to send from.

And choosing to do Hi-Def video which eats the heck out of bandwidth. Unnecessary.
billdomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 15:47   #62

Boat: Herreshoff 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Port Moresby is a stop-over for many cruisers on their way from the Pacific to Asia. I haven't met one yet that is a "U-tuber".
Yes, you did. 🙂
ahun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 16:02   #63

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdomb View Post
Think you're right but am flummoxed to understand WHY it takes them so long to edit their stuff unless they're popping in animations and all sortsa extraneous fluff.

Sure, if you want a super snazzy program, it's going to take longer. But 40 HOURS???

Biggest time commitment should be uploading depending on some of the off-the-wall places we have to send from.

And choosing to do Hi-Def video which eats the heck out of bandwidth. Unnecessary.
Depends on how much video they shoot developing the story, checking for the right background music it all makes a difference. It’s a full time job doing YouTube and social media properly they earn every penny.
RedneckRedcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 16:44   #64

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighpilot View Post
Simple answer. If you can afford to live ashore, you can afford to live at sea.

You don’t have live at a Marina , you can eat the same food as locals do. You can buy a boat for way less than your house is worth and you don’t need all sorts of fancy electronics etc.
so if you’re not homeless now m you can afford to go cruising.
This has also been my experience. We cruised both sides of the Atlantic between 1996 and 2009, and are back cruising again as of 2020.

We live aboard all year, and only take a marina when in Canada, to visit my dad. Otherwise we are 100% at anchor, on a 50 foot cat. Same price as a 30 foot monohull, at anchor. Maintenance is obviously higher, but where others spend money on marinas and moorings, we save that for maintenance.
We also do much of our maintenance on the beach.

On our monohull, we never stayed at a marina, and instead of a haulout, we used to lean the boat against a pier where it would dry out. Which cost a few dollars. Yes, a fin keel, not full. Good for installing through hulls, and cleaning the bottom, sometimes paint too. Dried the monohull out for bottom work in PEI, North Carolina, and Concarneau, France, as examples. Sometimes careened, but usually against a wharf.

There are many ways to skin this cat. We cruised on $1000CAD a month, until 2009, because that's what we had.

Yes, you can!

Cheers.
Paul.

PS, it never ceases to amaze me how a thread takes on a life of it's own, usually starting before post 5.
Old 18-02-2022, 17:38   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Pole View Post
Why the hit on Lady K?
Yeah, I didn't understand that either (??)
MainMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 18:42   #66

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Doug View Post
If you need $25 a day for groceries or $3,000 a month to be on your sailboat you're in the wrong place get rid of the boat move into a trailer house
I am trying to cut sugar and carbs from my diet. This eliminates about 98% of what is sold in the store including mostly all the cheap food. Somehow recently the prices also increased a quite a bit. Also only buy organic which often doubles the price.

So it is not unrealistic to spend $25 a day on groceries doing all your own cooking in the USA. When I get discounts it may only cost $20 a day. Could survive on less if I had to but with a poorer diet.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 18:47   #67

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
nd getting worse due to ad fatigue, and ad blockers. Expect about $2 per 1k views. So if you have say 50k subscribers and can average 50k views for yo
never seen an ad here or on youtube using adblockplus.

I heard it doesn't work as well in windows, so be sure to be using linux.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2022, 20:27   #68

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statistical View Post
Youtube isn't representative of real life for anything on the planet. For every youtube "sailor" there is I would hazard to guess there are 10,000 sailors that don't post to youtube.
Even more rare if you narrow it down to youtube sailors making any relevant amount of money doing that ...
Old 18-02-2022, 20:33   #69

Boat: Hanse 531

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdomb View Post

It's not a bad rule of thumb to think that, generally, roughly, it takes one hour of editing to produce one minute of finished material. That's what the professionals keep saying, at least
Old 23-02-2022, 20:56   #70

So its been a long time between drinks (posts).
For the OP, about 1 year ago i too had this thought of going down the youtube trail, in part as a possible side income, but if I am honest more as a way of documneting my journey and experiences on both getting to my retirement point and starting down this path and having it out there for people to maybe draw inspiration or learning from.

Made a few videos, did some editing just to trial the process but i found it to be a chore, its just not me, at least not on a regular enough basis to a viable income for the time and effort put in. The key difference i suppose is:
  • putting out a good quality interesting video, consistently, over time takes effort and time.
  • I am retiring to escape the demands of work as a required means of support, so when I think about it a bit more I was defeating my purpose for retiring.
  • some people manage to 'retire' to this life using youtube as their support.
  • Others retiring from work do not so so ( i wouldnt think) to be a youtuber, but to embrace the twilght years and not work to the grave.
  • At the end of the day, youtube is a tool, not a means The thing that matters is what you are doing with your life, if you tube works for you, great, if not well.
As a person who is not yet on the water i find some youtube channels interesting from the piont of view of keeping me motiviated to pursue my goal, for which I am very grateful.

My retirement plans have just this week accelarated (an undertstatement) from being 7 years out to perhaps 7 months out , thankfully not due to health concerns, but needless to say the antiicpated budget is now consideraby less than what was planned :-).

I will jump back onto youtube as well as these forums in an effort to quell the rising anxiety of an acclerated plan and stay the course
Mitch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 21:43   #71

There was always apart from a coupla excemptions. where there was me. the boat and my cat/s. Dogs had a penchant for chasing dolphins over the bow when you at other end or below. under full sail. I lost one that way. Having a daytime kip ready for night watches.
Dog in bunk. Wake up. Dog gone. That was it with dogs. Cats not a problem.
Internet. when iN port.
Otherwise. HF/VHF. Laptop/24in Monitor.
Lots of video's and Solar, Towing Alternator.
mrcarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2022, 22:18   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarson View Post
Dogs had a penchant for chasing dolphins over the bow when you at other end or below. under full sail. I lost one that way. Having a daytime kip ready for night watches.
Dog in bunk. Wake up. Dog gone. That was it with dogs.

That Lady with her rottweiler will be mighty PO'ed with you. How dare you lose a dog!!!
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2022, 02:50   #73

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch66 View Post
So its been a long time between drinks (posts).
For the OP, about 1 year ago i too had this thought of going down the youtube trail, in part as a possible side income, but if I am honest more as a way of documneting my journey and experiences on both getting to my retirement point and starting down this path and having it out there for people to maybe draw inspiration or learning from.

Made a few videos, did some editing just to trial the process but i found it to be a chore, its just not me, at least not on a regular enough basis to a viable income for the time and effort put in. The key difference i suppose is:
  • putting out a good quality interesting video, consistently, over time takes effort and time.
  • I am retiring to escape the demands of work as a required means of support, so when I think about it a bit more I was defeating my purpose for retiring.
  • some people manage to 'retire' to this life using youtube as their support.
  • Others retiring from work do not so so ( i wouldnt think) to be a youtuber, but to embrace the twilght years and not work to the grave.
  • At the end of the day, youtube is a tool, not a means The thing that matters is what you are doing with your life, if you tube works for you, great, if not well.
As a person who is not yet on the water i find some youtube channels interesting from the piont of view of keeping me motiviated to pursue my goal, for which I am very grateful.

My retirement plans have just this week accelarated (an undertstatement) from being 7 years out to perhaps 7 months out , thankfully not due to health concerns, but needless to say the antiicpated budget is now consideraby less than what was planned :-).

I will jump back onto youtube as well as these forums in an effort to quell the rising anxiety of an acclerated plan and stay the course
^^^^
Excellent post !

I think much along the same lines.

1) It's a great way to document/save/make a record of your journey's.
2) It's a new hobby to learn, which keeps my mind active.
3) YouTube is tool, and like any tool you get better with practice.

Old 12-04-2022, 15:12   #74

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565

Just to bring it back a bit....... Yes YouTube doesn't pay like it used to, and it can be used as a travel log and not be monetized......
What I was getting at was the all too common using YouTube to capture patrons or sponsors.

I like watching numerous channels but find the last few minutes of begging for money or products from sponsors a bit much. I love Sailing Florence and their honestly about the cost........ Until they tell you they got a new set of sails free (and that is not in the numbers) but hey, at least they were up front about it!

Where will MY new FREE sails come from?
Rant over. :-)
Old 12-04-2022, 15:21   #75

Boat: Farr 50 Pilothouse

Jeez, this again?

You'll get your free sails when you create a platform successful enough to provide the exposure that sail companies calculate is valuable enough to warrant a "free" set of sails. How do you still not get this?
Muaddib1116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing