Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2013, 13:26   #31

Boat: Beneteau 323
Can't wait to go for the first time! The missus is working the show and the three year old and I will be on the loose. If you see a tall ugly guy and a cute as buttons little boy terrorizing the vendors stop and say 'Hi!".

We anchored in Back Creek last time on the way through. Rumour has it there are a few mooring balls in Back Creek too? What do they look like and who do we see if we snag one?
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2013, 14:38   #32

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Annapolis Sail Show questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
We anchored in Back Creek last time on the way through. Rumour has it there are a few mooring balls in Back Creek too? What do they look like and who do we see if we snag one?

There were at least two open mooring balls in Back Creek when I was in there on the 5th... White balls, blue markings. There are some in upper Spa Creek, too, although those would likely go first...

In any case, if one is open, grab it, then hail the Harbormaster on Ch 09 or Ch 17 (they work on 17). Or as you approach downtown Annapolis, you can also ask 'em if they know if any are open; might save you some wandering...

-Chris
Old 25-09-2013, 05:24   #33

Thanks Chris.

We got to Annapolis yesterday. There are plenty of mooring balls open but they cost $35/night or $189/week so we decided to anchor instead. Good holding in the mud. The harbor master told us anyone staying more than three days needs to register in person at their office.

Anyone know of other paid or free services available to boats anchored or moored on the creek? Do any of the marinas have a facilities charge? We discovered the pump out boat - that's handy!
Old 25-09-2013, 06:03   #34

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I'm looking forward to visiting the show. I stopped by Annapolis the other day to take a look at the area without the crowds. It's a pretty nice area. It was nice to walk around the town. Will spend more time on show day.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 06:20   #35

Boat: Valiant 40

Are you in Back Creek or Spa Creek? There is the water taxi, which will take you anywhere between the two, and of course Annapolis has about a dozen public dinghy docks. The one at the end of Market St. is particularly well located and not all that crowded.

As far as charges go, I'm not exactly sure. I think here at Port Annapolis you could come ashore, use the showers, use the laundry, buy some ice, and no one would even notice lol. The dinghy dock is just to the left of the travel lift, right next to "Adventurer", a 48' Cherubini.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 07:54   #36

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
As far as charges go, I'm not exactly sure. I think here at Port Annapolis you could come ashore, use the showers, use the laundry, buy some ice, and no one would even notice lol. The dinghy dock is just to the left of the travel lift, right next to "Adventurer", a 48' Cherubini.
Port A charges $5/day for use of the dinghy dock and includes use of showers and WiFi (which is pretty weak).
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2013, 16:09   #37

Thanks guys. We are in Back Creek. We found two public dinghy docks on the west side of the creek. Still looking for a grocery store and a laundry, but I have a lead on those.

$5 for use of the dinghy dock and the shower at Port Annapolis sounds good. No need for a shower today because I did a 50m free sprint after I accidentally let go of the dinghy line...

Washing in these super-crowded anchorages is a bit more uncomfortable because we usually take our showers on deck.

If you see a pretty dark green sailboat on anchor off the Jabin Yacht Yard stop by and say "Hi!".
Old 25-09-2013, 16:14   #38

Oh for those coming to the show I should also mention there is a strong, fast public WiFi network here called "AnnapolisWireless". We paid $11.99 for one month.
Old 26-09-2013, 00:20   #39

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
Thanks guys. We are in Back Creek. We found two public dinghy docks on the west side of the creek. Still looking for a grocery store and a laundry, but I have a lead on those.
From Back Creek, dinghy in to Moyer's Park in the corner between Port A and Jabins. Walk through the parking to Edgewood and turn right. Giant Food is half a mile or so. Jack's Fortune Chinese next door is very good. Fawcett chandlery is across the street.

For laundry, dinghy to Severn House dock (opposite side of the creek) and walk out to Bay Ridge. Turn left and walk about 3/4 mile. You'll find a True Value hardware store (propane), West Marine, and laundromat.

As an alternative, dinghy out of Back Creek and into Spa Creek. There are laundry machines at the Annapolis Harbormaster's office at City Dock.

Welcome to Annapolis. We're glad you're here.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2013, 08:51   #40

Thanks so much for the welcome and the great information.

We paid to use the showers, laundry and dumpsters at Port Annapolis today. $5/person/day for nice facilities.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:47   #41

Boat: Hunter 380

To All,

Allrighty! Thanks for the info and we will be flying out in a few hours. We will be on the docks tomorrow and looking forward to a great time. Back to Dallas on the 19th.

Let the party begin
Dallasron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 04:41   #42

I will be there with my 3yo today, Satuday and Monday. If you see a tall guy chasing the gingerbread man stop and say Hi!
Old 10-10-2013, 04:56   #43
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasron View Post
Thanks,,,I can still get a room at the Marriott but they want $460 a night.

for $460 a night, i would sleep on the dock. and when i wake up i would start hugging myself and saying $460 over and over again. i am guessing sailing there is out of the equation?
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 05:31   #44

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

When does the stadium parking open for the show? I saw the buses start running at 9 and show is open at 10.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 11:11   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post

for $460 a night, i would sleep on the dock. and when i wake up i would start hugging myself and saying $460 over and over again. i am guessing sailing there is out of the equation?
The last few days there has been quite a NNE blow coming through. Looks like it will start moderating towards the end of the show...

Tags
annapolis, sail