Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2023, 13:37   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Anchoring banned in Lake Tashmoo, Mass., USA

Various options for Lake Tashmoo have been under discussion for a while but yesterday the Tisbury (Vineyard Haven) board passed an immediate and indefinite moratorium on anchoring in Lake Tashmoo harbor.

The measure was opposed by most residents, local boaters and even the harbormaster proposed some options for visiting boaters but the motion was passed by the town board.

Still several options for visiting Martha's Vineyard including rental moorings in a few harbors and anchoring in Edgartown.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 13:49   #2

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Re: Anchoring banned in Lake Tashmoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Various options for Lake Tashmoo have been under discussion for a while but yesterday the Tisbury (Vineyard Haven) board passed an immediate and indefinite moratorium on anchoring in Lake Tashmoo harbor.

The measure was opposed by most residents, local boaters and even the harbormaster proposed some options for visiting boaters but the motion was passed by the town board.

Still several options for visiting Martha's Vineyard including rental moorings in a few harbors and anchoring in Edgartown.
That really stinks. It doesn’t seem like it was an anchorage that was abused. I have stayed there and it was quite nice. There weren’t that many boats.

Everything was pretty laid-back. They were very few visiting boats in the lake.

It was, however, beautifully protected from all angles. I went in there with a monohull. A 50 foot monohull. I barely got in. The entrance is a bit shallow.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 13:56   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
That really stinks. It doesn’t seem like it was an anchorage that was abused. I have stayed there and it was quite nice. There weren’t that many boats.

Everything was pretty laid-back. They were very few visiting boats in the lake.

It was, however, beautifully protected from all angles. I went in there with a monohull. A 50 foot monohull. I barely got in. The entrance is a bit shallow.
Last few years it has gotten crazy on summer weekends, especially holidays. Usually dozens of boats anchored, many rafted 3-4 together so a bit out of hand but still, a total ban seems extreme.

Entrance is tricky. They dredge it every year or so but have been doing so in the winter (dumb) and by spring the last few nor'easters have silted up the channel again. Then the boats in and out all summer blast it deeper again.

After several years on the list I finally got a mooring in Tashmoo. Guess I had better hold on to it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2023, 16:31   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Wow. That was nothing like what it was when I visited I think two years ago?

Doesn’t sound very good at all if it’s filled with that party crowd.

Block Island is a place I really love. But sometimes that harbor just gets annoying too. I know it’s a New England thing, but those sunset horn contests get a little annoying. Ha ha

I don’t mind Andiamo on your boat because that’s part of Block Island‘s character. Even if it wakes you up that’s OK.

But some of the weekend crowd at all of these islands sounds about the same.

We didn’t have them at all when we stayed in Lake Tashmoo. It was quiet. Peaceful. There were two other boats anchored for the entire week I stayed. I think I stayed a week. It may have not been a full week.

Somewhere around the last day, a really young kid came out in the official town skiff to ask if we were leaving. We were anyway. But I think we hit the anchoring limit for the lake. He was very cool and nice and apologetic about it, but I think we were at the end at about a week.

Long walk into town from there, but a nice walk.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, anchoring