Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2008, 10:15   #16

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
I just came through Current Cut, Bahamas yesterday. My Ray120 showed me crossing about 200 ft on the land!

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:24   #17
Eternal Member

Will,

On what chart?

Do you remember your GPS-indicated position at that time?

Thanks,

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 10:56   #18

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
Bill, The Raymarine 120 uses Navionics. I will get the chart number to you later. I was not paying attention as it was mid day and I was following a buddy boat. I did not see the track until later. The good news is I can overlay the radar so the discrepincies do not normally prove too bad.

Will

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:03   #19
Eternal Member

Will,

Thanks for that.

Just curious. In coming through the Bahamas about five years ago, we used electronic charts digitized by Maptech (and, of course, paper chart backups).

They seemed pretty accurate much of the time. We used them in some tight places for our 6.5' draft, too, like Mayaguana and Rum Cay.

And, as I recall, when we negotiated the North Channel into Man-O-War Cay, the GPS positions were spot on. Here they are:

Gallery :: Bahamas Trip 2002 :: NMOWE

This chart was by Maptech from a chart by "White Sound Intnl, Ltd" in 1987.

I hesitate to admit it, but we'd gained so much confidence in these "not for navigation" charts that we actually negotiated this channel through the reef in darkness -- on a very, very calm night and under power -- with crew stationed forward and on both sides with searchlights into the water to be sure we stayed in the channel. After a few days stay in Marsh Harbour, we reversed our course and again -- this time in daylight -- found the charts to be quite accurate.

Wonder what others have found in this regard?

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:51   #20
Marine Service Provider

For weather forecasts for your delivery, check out:

PassageWeather - Wind, Wave and Weather Forecasts for Sailors and Adventurers

The "Florida to West Indies" region will cover your whole route to the BVI... and check out the Gulf Stream forecast to help you get across to the Bahamas.

Have a safe trip... Bill
billreilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 17:31   #21

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II
Re: Yacht Delivery Florida to BVI

Going back to the original question, I would question those who have done this trip several times particularly, what if one leaves in November from Jacksonville, Fl, can one then sail a little more south-est and not so close to the prevailing winds?
Old 22-08-2011, 17:49   #22

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

As stated in this thread basically there are 2 routes from the US east coast to the Virgins. The slow route (thornly path) through the Bahamas to Turks & Caicos to Dominican Republic to Puerto Rico and Virgins. This route can take from a month to three months.
- - The more direct route is nicknamed "I-65" and involves heading east and possibly east-northeast to stay above the easterly trade winds belt until you are at W065 degrees then hang a right and sail south to the Virgins. Weather conditions at the time you are doing the route will determine how far "north" you need to stay or if you can "cut the corner" to keep the winds behind your beam until you get to 065 West. On average you are looking at a week or so at sea so you can expect at least one good blow along the route.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 17:50   #23

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Go east young man! Get out far enough to be able to lay your longitude on one tack. The further east you go the further off the wind you will be. usually works to play a frontal passage at that time of year.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 18:12   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tingum View Post
Go east young man! Get out far enough to be able to lay your longitude on one tack. The further east you go the further off the wind you will be. usually works to play a frontal passage at that time of year.
You can’t count on that. Two years in a row, leaving mid Nov. it would have been worthless to spend the diesel to 65. Even though that was the plan. Once from Ft. Lauderdale and once from N. Carolina. What little wind we had was from the S.E. all the way to 21N. The last, we waited 10 days for the conditions to change said screw it and headed out with 48 gal. diesel strapped on deck. Both times south of 21N we finally picked up the Trades.

Mark Twain
knotnow is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
British Virgin Islands, florida