Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2022, 12:18   #1

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May
Boat: Knysna 500SE
Where too from Barbados

We arrived last week after a 5700nm passage from Cape Town, South Africa via St Helena Island and have had a wonderful time here in Barbados. We are anchored in Carlisle Bay and will be heading up to Port Charles this coming week to check out new dive, snorkeling and surf spots.

We are planning to head off to the Bequia hopefully in the middle of this month as I am still waiting for a spare part for the yacht.

We need (from our insurance point of view) to be in Grenada by 1 July (we will be there for hurricane season and will probably haul the yacht for maintenance for some of the time)

So given the above, we would welcome advice and any tips on where to go from here and also on where NOT to go Any information given your experience on the Grenadines and the path south from there to Grenada would be greatly appreciated.
Lambretta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 06:13   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Re: Where too from Barbados

Antigua is worth visiting, in 3 weeks it will be the big "Antigua Sailing Week" event, which is a fun time to be there. After the event you can island-hop down to Grenada in order to get there by July 1st. I'm flying to St. Lucia tomorrow (the boat is already waiting for me at the docks) and I'll head up to Antigua as well (I'm a volunteer at the ASW). I love both Dominica and the Îles des Saintes.
Assuming your nationality matches your starting point I commiserate with you on having perhaps the worst passport in the world... It is worth checking visa requirements and if you can get the Schengen visa then that opens up St. Martin, St. Barths, Guadeloupe, Martinique and ABC-islands to you.
Old 04-04-2022, 07:47   #3

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambretta View Post
We arrived last week after a 5700nm passage from Cape Town, South Africa via St Helena Island and have had a wonderful time here in Barbados.
So given the above, we would welcome advice and any tips on where to go from here and also on where NOT to go Any information given your experience on the Grenadines and the path south from there to Grenada would be greatly appreciated.
Amazing boat, and congratulations on a fantastic passage. What a wonderful problem to have. Enjoy!
Old 04-04-2022, 13:42   #4

Location: South Africa. currently sailing in the Bahamas and then heading to the Med via Bermuda in May

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
Antigua is worth visiting, in 3 weeks it will be the big "Antigua Sailing Week" event, which is a fun time to be there. After the event you can island-hop down to Grenada in order to get there by July 1st. I'm flying to St. Lucia tomorrow (the boat is already waiting for me at the docks) and I'll head up to Antigua as well (I'm a volunteer at the ASW). I love both Dominica and the Îles des Saintes.
Assuming your nationality matches your starting point I commiserate with you on having perhaps the worst passport in the world... It is worth checking visa requirements and if you can get the Schengen visa then that opens up St. Martin, St. Barths, Guadeloupe, Martinique and ABC-islands to you.
That was VERY astute of you to pick up the passport issue
Yes it is a problem as COVID prevented me from renewing my Shengen visa before I left South Africa and it actually expired on the voyage to Barbados

That is why I did not mention Martinique etc. Fortunately I have another 8 years left on my USA visa and 2 years on my British visa.

You are so spot on regarding the SA passport! What amazes me is that with Covid smashing the global tourism industry (which accounts for at least 15% of global GDP) that they have still not figured this out.
I have been saying it for years ....... the only way to save this planet is to shoot a politician a day ... even then I dont think that is enough

Thanks for the advice ... I will have a look at Antigua ..... that could be a cunning plan
Old 04-04-2022, 13:50   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantmc View Post
Amazing boat, and congratulations on a fantastic passage. What a wonderful problem to have. Enjoy!
Thanks Grant .......... yes we do realize how fortunate we are to be able to do this
Old 04-04-2022, 15:02   #6

Boat: Shopping...

Don’t miss Sainte-Anne and the whole Martinique. “La perle des Antilles”
Old 13-04-2022, 10:52   #7

I'm in Rodney Bay right now and will be sailing up to Antigua next week. What did you end up planning as your next destination?
Old 13-04-2022, 12:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARC D View Post
Don’t miss Sainte-Anne and the whole Martinique. “La perle des Antilles”

I gathered as per the prior threads that Martinique is going to be a problem with an expired Schengen visa and a South African Passport.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2022, 14:44   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
I'm in Rodney Bay right now and will be sailing up to Antigua next week. What did you end up planning as your next destination?
We are still waiting for a shipment via FedEx to arrive in Barbados to sort a potential rudder issue
It was due to arrive yesterday but now the FedEx website says it is still In Memphis 🤣
So we just have to wait and with Easter weekend due to start tomorrow I am not that optimistic 🤣
Pity as I thought your suggestion was spot on
Thanks
Old 16-04-2022, 04:31   #10

I'm in Rodney Bay right now and it is very nice, and I depart next weekend for Antigua.

Tags
Barbados