Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2024, 16:22   #1

Things to do in the Block island, Nantucket, Martha's area.

I'm going to be sailing from cape may to the block island area this summer. I'm thinking block island to Nantucket, to Martha's, around cape cod to Provincetown back through the canal to cuttyhunk. I'm a solo sailor on a 32ft boat and I only anchor out and dink to shore to explore. Any one have input on things to do, things to see, do's and donts. Just looking for info. Didn't see much on Google just alot of repeat info. Any one want to buddy boat?
Mg451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2024, 16:45   #2

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: Things to do in the Block island, Nantucket, Martha's area.

Anchoring at Block an Nantucket can be tough in the summer because of all the moorings and crowds. Much better anchoring at Cuttyhunk, up Narragansett Bay, the Elizabeth Islands, Martha's Vineyard. Favorite anchorages include Cuttyhunk, Menemsha, Tarpaulin Cove, Lagoon Pond and off Chappy beach on MV. This other thread has more information too: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ca-285395.html
Old 02-05-2024, 16:51   #3

Awsome I'll be looking at then places on navionics dropping pins to visit.
Old 03-05-2024, 09:06   #4

Boat: Catalina 42

You might also explore the Gardiners Bay/Shelter Island area at the east end of Long Island. Plenty of good places to anchor--I like Coelces Harbor, Three Mile Harbor and West Neck Harbor the best.

There is some good hiking on Block Island. https://www.natureblockisland.org/tr...n-block-island

The area called Rodman's Hollow (number 11 on the map in the link above) is very cool, I believe it actually drops below sea level.

Lots of hiking trails and good views on Cuttyhunk, too. Watch out for ticks, though.

There is very good clamming in the Great Salt Pond (New Harbor) on Block Island. Get a license at the harbormaster's office next to the Boat Basin. They do check and will fine you without one.

Anchoring can be challenging at Block, as most of the anchorage is deep and the holding can vary. Many boats are anchored on all chain. There is a shallow area (5 to 10 feet) between the mooring field and what is called dinghy beach which is on your port side as you get near the end of the channel on the way in. Great place in settled weather, but beware large rafts on holidays and weekends that may not stay put if a squall comes through. From dinghy beach you can walk across the street to a very long ocean beach, you can walk several miles in each direction.
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 11:53   #5

Thank. You
Old 03-05-2024, 12:55   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

It's probably obvious, but I would go where the wind and current takes you and not set an itinerary. For example, typical summer winds are from the southwest and can be quite strong many afternoons, so you don't want to slug your way back from Provincetown to the canal on one of these days. I've never sailed around the outside of Cape Cod, but instead go up Buzzards Bay to the canal and up to PTown, and then back that same route, with maybe a stop at Plymouth/Duxbury or Wellfleet as wind and current dictate. Coming out of the CC Canal (do it with the current) into the teeth of the afternoon Sou'wester in Buzzards Bay will feel like crossing the Gulf Stream in a norther--very rough--so we often duck into Onset or head over to the Cape Cod shore to let the wind die down by the next morning. Get a copy of Eldridge for the tides and currents in Vineyard Sound, Buzzards Bay, Woods Hole, and Nantucket Sound. Going with the current will make your life so much easier. https://www.eldridgetide.com/
Old 03-05-2024, 14:23   #7

Boat: Cape Dory 31

You may not, I do. These “unnecessary” conveniences add immeasurably to my enjoyment. I have spares and backup provisions for most everything but rarely have I had the need to employ them. I am diligent about inspection, maintenance, updating, and ensuring my systems are dependable.
Perhaps obtaining a boat most suited to its intended purpose is the key. Adapting a daysailer for bluewater passages is foolish, as is adapting a bluewater cruiser for daysailing in a protected harbor. Horses for courses…is the old adage.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 14:30   #8

Boat: Cal 33-2

There are public moorings in Great Salt Pond at Block Island but they are first come first served. If none are available you can call the harbor master and he can usually get you a private mooring for the first night and then you can hopefully grab one of the public ones in the morning. You can dinghy in to the marina and walk to town or over to dinghy beach and walk over the dunes to the main beach. Renting a bike or moped and touring the island is always a fun thing to do.

Tags
nantucket