Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 10:58   #16

essentials

autopilot
gps
RIB dingy and motor
Bimini + dodger
Watermaker
Dingy davits
Snorkeling Gear, thin skins
Radar
Charts
anchor windlass + all chain rode.
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:20   #17

Boat: Privilege 37
Autopilot
solar/wind
BBQ
decent tender/engine combo
bimini
watermaker
SSB
icemaker
oversize anchor + electric windlass
decent audio/visual system
Old 12-08-2009, 11:25   #18

Boat: Island Packet 380
I like the listing of items, I was wondering the same thing, so good information. It's funny to me how men vs women might think differently about the top ten list. I see many posts about spare parts and boat related equipment, don't get me wrong, I think these are very essential, however as a women (and perhaps the admiral of the OP) I was thinking more along the lines of some of the suggestions about a years supply worth of sunscreen. Makes me wonder about the availability of my favorite lotion and cosmetics that one might consider stocking up on. Also the comfort items that you are likely going to want that would not be available. On the top of my list would be:

sport-a-seat, important to sit anywhere on the boat in comfort with back support.
Custom mattress on the bunk I will be sleeping, again comfort
Kitchen items that would make life easier - not sure what that would be yet
completely agree with the suggestions of books, games, puzzles, music, etc
I like that massage oil idea
sweetsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 11:31   #19

Oh... comfort items:
Cockpit or stern shower
Snorkeling gear that fits you and works well
A speedo
Hats.. lots of hats, Neptunes steals them. Forget expensive ones.
Cooking wise, the BBQ for sure, keep the pans to the minimum essential 3 or so, hard to store. an outside place to store garbage in bags.
Comfortable non rigid back pack (laundry, food etc)
Again, dingy davits
Cockpit cushions
Bimini,bimini,bimini...
Old 12-08-2009, 12:07   #20

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Oh... comfort items:
Cockpit or stern shower
With a little drift. I hooked up a wash down pump to rinse the anchor chain which is great and keeps much of the bottom gunk off the decks and out of the chain locker. The Miss saw this and was inspired to redirect the hose and use it for a quick rinse down. Normally we jump over the side for this but the Jelly fish were abundant. When I came up topside to agonizing screams. Here is miss dancing about as though she were a flame I could see no cause for such distress and language. A Few long blank moments and I realized. The pump had macerated a jelly fish and delivered its contents in a highly effective emulsified stream. She was quite red from neck to toe for a good day. So maybe (cockpit or stern freshwater shower).
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:41   #21

yea, I was thinking fesh water. Jump in and clean off or after swimming, then a quick fresh rinse to get the salt off. or a quick shower on deck, Once I had one .....couldnt do without it!
Old 12-08-2009, 12:48   #22

Boat: Island Packet 380
Quote:
Oh... comfort items:
A speedo
HaHa, LOL, I have no idea why a speedo would be comfortable. But I guess that would be a whole other discussion.

Quote:
The pump had macerated a jelly fish and delivered its contents in a highly effective emulsified stream. She was quite red from neck to toe for a good day. So maybe (cockpit or stern freshwater shower).
Ouch! Fresh water stern shower just got added to the list.
sweetsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 16:16   #23
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
sunshower--i have 2 of hr 4 gal size on my formosa
bimini
proper knives and pans
hell- i have most of the needed items....lol--i have to make lists forboat of friend with whom i cruise----in addition to the boat and spares and tools and bimini and regular stuff---
COTTON towels and sheets!!!
q tips
scissors( i cannot use hands well- i use scissors to open stuff!!)
proper knives and pans for cooking
sunshower or 2
laptop and connection--also used for navigation
tents for over top of boat for shade and cooling in hot sun (like tarps)
ports that open for ventilation
screens
fishing gear
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 17:00   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
One more. Good karma. Always treat the ocean and other people as you would have it/them treat you.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 21:20   #25

Boat: islandpacket
You need ear plugs when you come off a long watch and are trying to sleep in the quarter berth with the rest of the crew banging around and having to motor. Not in a quiet anchorage. imoho
Old 12-08-2009, 21:32   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta View Post
You need ear plugs when you come off a long watch and are trying to sleep in the quarter berth with the rest of the crew banging around and having to motor. Not in a quiet anchorage. imoho
That's what I was pretty much thinking when I suggested ear plugs. Try falling asleep on a work boat between watches when people are yelling, people are stomping on the deck above you as well as things getting slammed against the deck. Even on a sailboat between watches, its pretty much the same thing.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 08:36   #27

Boat: Grand Soleil 42R
My sailingproof mobile phone

my sailing-proof video camera

indeed, waterproof laptop

and broadband dongle

Jaak
Old 13-08-2009, 08:52   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
That's what I was pretty much thinking when I suggested ear plugs. Try falling asleep on a work boat between watches when people are yelling, people are stomping on the deck above you as well as things getting slammed against the deck. Even on a sailboat between watches, its pretty much the same thing.
i have not yet had a problem with sleeping off watch -and we went thru lightning/thunderstorms for 3 days!!!! is always a good thing to know what is happening around ye even in yer sleep---emergencies are not good surprises----especially if ye have no clue as to the nature of them---is it fair to the rest of the crew if you require being awakened manually for response to an emergency when shorthanded??? who will awaken ye if need be--the one who is not able to leave their position or the one who just fell overboard????earplugs realistically diminish the response time of the crew member using them--if there is a problem in sleeping--see about changing berths with someone who is in a quieter berth and able to sleep or do the hot bunk thing many do when crewing on long cruises...maybe i am just fortunate enough to have purchased a cruiser with more crew friendly berths.....there is not the noise on board my cruiser there is on the pure plastic ones---noises are diminished before getting to the interior--even when there is an elephant on the deck...LOL.....there are other ways to ensure sleeping without compromising the ability to respond in a timely manner---with earplugs, if there is a man overboard, will ye be able to hear that person or will ye merely write that one off and keep on????....i will NOT sail with someone requiring earplugs to sleep----is not safe for the rest of the crew. also--if there are crew sleeping and crew at helm and crew cooking--who is making the noise on the deck??? cant be boatkat--he is sleeping with ye!!!! maybe is the dog barking for his walk time---????? i have found cruising is a quiet activity not a noisey one--perhaps ye are talking of racing crews?? those are noisey and still require response of alert crew----??????-(no--i donot have a dog!)--work boats are much different from shorthanded cruising sailboats----most of us donot know or understand that work boat environment---is very foreign to the cruising environment---but speaking of cruising and work boats are 2 entirely different worlds.....in th eworld of sailcruising, watch times should be about 4 hours--is not long and is not strenuous unless you are caught in a big storm or lightning storm appears around ye in the dark..that happens-many things are out there to learn for the shorthanded cruiser under sail.....needs yer ears in the sailboats........
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 11:21   #29

Boat: islandpacket
Wow, I think it was only a suggestion. Everything has a place and time.
Old 14-08-2009, 05:56   #30

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
The listing of "hard" items for the boat is quite good and I would add that you can never have too many mechanical spares - Trying to purchase and have a spare shipped down is twice the cost of purchasing one and have it stored on board. Critical to this item is the purchase of one of the kitchen "Vac-u-pak" type vacuum packers and many rolls of the bags. Each spare part is vacuum packed before storing it away. This preserves the part without worrying about corrosion or rust or water damage until you need the item.
On the personal side of top 10, is plenty of your favorite USA products like dental hygiene, paper towels, spices and hard to find "comfort" food/items, a good library of paperback books, if you knit - knitting needles, etc. -they are virtually non-existant in the Caribbean. Good games to play on the rainy, dreary days anchored when you cannot go ashore. Party stuff/costumes for those cruiser parties held by ancient people who think they are sub-teenagers again.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote