Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2013, 08:48   #1

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33
Question about re-entering the US from the Bahamas

I think that some changes have been made with regard to reentering the US from the Bahamas since the last time I did it (June 2009). I have read a bit about the SVRS and LBO systems, but I am uncertain as to whether or not I HAVE TO participate in one of these programs. Can I not just present myself, passport and ship's papers to the actual Customs office in West Palm once I return? That is how I did it last time, and would prefer to just do the same this time. Any insight is appreciated. I will be leaving for the Abacos in two weeks, and will return to the US at the end of April.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 09:04   #2

Boat: 1977 shannon 38 cutter
Re: Question about re-entering the US from the Bahamas

You don't need to be part of those programs, but you will need a customs decal.
starchaser 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2013, 09:05   #3

Boat: Sabre 42

My wife and I have registered for the Local Boater Option. It is just that: an option. Traditional methods of entry are still approved.

EDIT - someone beat me to the enter key.
Old 25-02-2013, 10:17   #4

Boat: temporarily boatless...

Honestly, almost every time I've used LBO I've had to go to the office anyway for something or another. Last time, it was because one of our party had renewed their passport... So you go through all the lengthy phone reporting for everyone on board, including the new passport information, and then at the end they tell you that you have to come in to the office anyway... For this reason I'm not using the SVRP, it seems like just another way to find some detail that makes you report in person. pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2013, 21:04   #5

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

I've been meaning to inquire about this issue ever since we returned from Bahamas in 2010.

When we returned to Virginia we had to be inspected by USDA (I suppose) regarding the food products we had on board (even what had been loaded in the States), and also trash. He said we would have to take the trash somewhere to have it incinerated. Said all the airplanes had to do this as well. And that it was costly.

He was nice, though, and said since he was next going to the airport, if we carried the trash to his car, he would take to the airport and throw it in with trash from the airplanes.

I was shocked, and figured I'd read complaints about this here at CF, but never did.

Has anyone had anything like this happen to them?
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:18   #6

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

The LBO (now SVRP) is not requires and the decal would appear to be required if you read the Homeland Security information on it. However, if you don't have the decal, they will not send you back to where you came from. You will just have to report in person, probably, maybe, and may be subject to inspection. And then again you might be subjected to all of this with a decal and with a decal and an LBO, now SVRP. Ain't our new Homeland Security grand? I highly recommend checking in anywhere besides Key West. They are the most unprofessional, rude, U.S. officials we have ever encountered, maybe not only in the U.S., of anywhere we have traveled in over 20 years. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:52   #7
Marine Service Provider

So what happens if you don't check in?
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:50   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post

You get shot.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:59   #9

If you check in without a decal you will be required to buy one for 30.00.That will get you in for that one time.It will not purchase a decal for the year. If you intend to leave and return another time in that calendar year you will still need to purchase a decal. Some thing important to remember is that it is for the calendar year, not a year from when purchased. It is all a money grab, but keep checking in without a decal and border protection types can get pretty upset with you.These are not people you want to piss off. They can and if pushed will seeze your boat till things get sorted out and you may be invited to be their guest for a while. I live on the US /Canadian border. I've had some interesting conversations with the folks in the blue suits on both sides of the border.
What happens if you don't check back in? Not really sure.I know people who walk that line. Good luck to them. I have had enough trouble trying to do things the legal way to want to find out what happens when you don't. I do know that the entry into another country is on your passport and when you check in (or don't)is on the US data base. Do it enough times and you have some explaining to do fines to pay and possibly lawyers and judges to talk to.
No Mark they won't shoot you.....the first time
Old 03-03-2013, 13:09   #10

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchaser 2011 View Post
If you check in without a decal you will be required to buy one for 30.00.That will get you in for that one time.It will not purchase a decal for the year. If you intend to leave and return another time in that calendar year you will still need to purchase a decal.
I have found this statement not to be true on many occasions. The last time, we cleared into Charlston April 2012 and got a great welcome from the DHS folks. We were told to buy the decal online after clearing in. It was mailed to my house. The decal is good for the remainder of the calender year. If your craft is under 30' a decal is not required.

No-one ever followed up to see if we purchased it unless they did it electronically. The DHS folks could not have been nicer and four of them came down to the boat. No search and no hassle. I did give them a courtesy call 4 days out to let them know we were on our way and when we would arrive. They did take boat and crew info at that time.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 13:19   #11

Did not work that way for me. I was in Puerto Rico. Like an idiot I left my decal home in NY. They were very nice, but it cost me 27.50. I then had to make on online application and keep my application number before I could check into the USVI where they did verify my information.Years earlier in New York State I was read the riot act for not having a current sticker.Like most things with Border patrol it all depends who you run into that day. I am always polite and calm when dealing with these folks.
Old 03-03-2013, 13:23   #12

I forgot to mention the online application cost another 27.50. The very nice Puerto Rican agent told me that the 27.50 I paid him was a one time fee for that entry and did not buy me a decal. The entry into the USVI was 3 months later entering from the BVI.
Old 03-03-2013, 13:26   #13

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

When I checked in from the Bahamas in 2011 (Beaufort, NC) they were very nice. Wanted to know the decal number and when I gave it to them they didnt actually want to see it. Looked for fresh veg and meat and took it with them in a red bag marked as a burn bag. All very courteous and professional.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 14:35   #14

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum29 View Post
CBP reminds boaters that failure to report entry into the US can result in fines of up to $10,000 and seizure and forfeiture of the vessel.

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 16:15   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post

CBP reminds boaters that failure to report entry into the US can result in fines of up to $10,000 and seizure and forfeiture of the vessel.
Bummer
beachbum29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas