Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2020, 10:33   #16

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin
Re: PR or BVIs

Next week, I have a meeting with my old boss and will find out about what's up in the BVI. She runs a sailing school and charter company.
More to follow.
Norm
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 10:35   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanMartin View Post
Skipmac:
Good for you. Altho I grew up on the Cape and sailing here, I did most of my formative years in the Bahamas and Florida waters including the Keys. In time started being a pro in the Caribbean in the '70s and then full time in '04. Dry stints in NYC and Boston.

Where do you sail in Florida? I'd love to get off this sandbar and go back to the warm southern waters.

Trying to sell my boat and then pick out an old person's boat for cruising the ICW.
We have a house in Gainesville. Keep the boat in Green Cove Springs which is the closest deep water to the house. Don't sail that much in Florida, mainly use it as a base to work on the boat and then go places like Bahamas, VI, or New England though I would like to do the Dry Tortugas again.

Daughter moved to Martha's Vineyard and started a family so we're spending as much of the year as we can up here but when it starts getting cold it's time to head south.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 10:58   #18

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

From a sailing point of view IMO. PR is OK. Not great, Vieques about the same. Just OK except for the bioluminescence tour in Mosquito Bay. That was absolutely amazing. Loved Culebra, Culebrita and the little islands around them. Although not a lot going on for kids other than boat life and the water.

Hope you have an incredible time on you charter.

Foster
flee27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 11:27   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: PDQ 36, 36'5", previously Leopard 45 cat and Hunter 33 mono

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Anegada would be nice but a lot of charter companies place that out of bounds.

Not for quite few years, but ask to be sure.
contrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 11:30   #20
Marine Service Provider

Tonight, those of us who run charters in the BVI, will be part of a Zoom call with the Tourist Board, to get a better idea of the protocols, etc, to be implemented, and will have a much better perspective with which to advise guests and potential guests.
Old 17-10-2020, 21:42   #21

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by contrail View Post
Tonight, those of us who run charters in the BVI, will be part of a Zoom call with the Tourist Board, to get a better idea of the protocols, etc, to be implemented, and will have a much better perspective with which to advise guests and potential guests.
Any info? Any updates???
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-10-2020, 08:13   #22
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
Any info? Any updates???

Not really. The call had 135 attendees, all in great anticipation of something solid. Instead, we got mostly a rehash of what the community had come together on and presented to the Tourist Board, except they were now telling us what we had said to them. There was something important, however, and that is that "nothing is final, nothing has been voted upon yet, in Cabinet, the people are being listened to, and the Government will have something more, soon." Going by my best sources, I think that is the case, and that entry by sea will be sorted out. The problem is, will it be sorted out in time for people to either stop cancelling their reservations, or to make new bookings, and that is a very good question. Sadly, the government just doesn't seem to understand. I am told that there had been reservations for 2500 people (!) to arrive in the first week, but they have been cancelling, in droves.

Since that meeting, the Premier has re-iterated that they are working on solutions, and I actually think they now have some private sector people involved with the pull and the understanding to make that happen. Will it be soon enough to be effective? We shall see. It may be that patience is the best strategy, at the moment, but that is a big ask.
Old 10-11-2020, 08:42   #23

I brought my two always-on-their-iphones daughters to BVI last January. I was a little worried about keeping them busy as well. Frankly, leaving the chilly northern US and being in the sun, sand, and seas of the BVI was sensation enough for them. They never got bored, and it was probably one of the best family vacation vibes the for of us have experienced in years - mostly because we all got back to basics: sunsets, swimming, dolphins, tarpons circling the boat at night, etc.

Let the kids take responsibility for a few things - even if its just finding ice, tying the dinghy up, whatever. We sailed as a family "team" for the week, dealt with inevitable small problems, and had a great time. I was really proud of them all!

FINALLY:
...We did go to Anegada from VG, and then sailed back to JVD. That was probably a bit too much sailing for my youngest, although she hung in there and is really proud of herself fo being part of that experience!

...We are headed to sail out of Fajardo PR in a few weeks, again as a family. I think we needed the first family BVI experience before we take on PR - much better navaids, 100% english language, mooring balls everywhere, lots of infrastructure for sailors. But I'll report back in mid December once we are back!
Global nomad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI