Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2020, 09:35   #1

Boat: Pearson 26
PR or BVIs

I will be chartering in the Caribbean late December/early January. We are 3 adults and 3 teenagers. Two of the adults and the 3 teenagers have taken the ASA 101/103 courses, but have limited sailing experience beyond that. The other adult, myself, has extensive chartering and sailing experience.

While I know the BVIs are a great destination for first time charterers with a great beach and booze vibe, I'm not sure it offers enough for the teenagers. I'm not really sure Puerto Rico offers enough for them either, for that matter.

Has anyone chartered in either of these locations with teenagers? What sort of activities/distractions were available for the kids? Did they get bored with the sailing after a couple of days? What was the biggest success with/for the kids and what was the biggest disappointment with/for the kids.

Thanks!
bad1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:39   #2

Re: PR or BVIs

I've sailed to both locations. Not really with teens though, but definitely the BVI for a charter. Better cleaner water, more to do, closer shorter trips to move around if they do get bored.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 10:17   #3

I'd vote BVIs also for similar reasons. Of course, you can go out of St. Thomas with DYC now and reduce the transfer headaches, making it similar to a trip to PR for US citizens. Then you can sail St. Thomas, St. Johns and/or BVIs depending on your available time. You could even go west to the Spanish islands, which is where you'd be going from PR.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 11:57   #4

I took a group of 15 year olds on a charter that began in Fajardo, PR and went all the way to Virgin Gorda and back. The BVIs definately had more to hold their interest as well as much shorter sailing days which was good for that crew as they weren't particularly interested in the sailing. So, I'd say the BVIs is better for teens in my opinion. I will qualify that though by saying my own kids have been to the BVIs several times and now we all prefer chartering in other destinations - though it might be just because we've "been there done that" when it comes to the BVIs.

As mentioned above, you might want to consider chartering out of the USVI at this time. BVIs are currently closed to international tourists and although they are scheduled to open December 1, it is yet to be seen what protocols will be and what might change between now and then. I'd hate to charter out of the BVIs and then have to quarantine for 1/2 the charter, or worse yet, have the charter canceled due to a flare up in Covid cases. I think the odds of the USVI closing to US tourists or implementing obstructive restrictions is much less than the BVIs. You can easily hop over to the BVIs from the USVIs if all goes well. However, in the event that the BVIs does close again or implements significant restrictions you would have other options. I do think it costs more to bring a foreign charter boat into BVI waters in terms of cruising fees, but those costs could be looked at as insurance of sorts. And on the flip side, I believe the only BVI entry point that is initially going to be open is Beef Island so you would have the additional cost of flying into Beef Island if you charter out of the BVIs.

Matt
capnmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 14:26   #5

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Another vote for BVIs... or St. Martin if you want more stuff for the teenagers. But definitely BVIs over PR.
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 14:29   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Just show your teenagers this video from my first BVI trip... we were all 20-something year olds back then

Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 08:17   #7

Boat: Jeanneau 57

While I would normally recommend the BVI, I've been following the post-COVID lockdown reopening plans that the government there has published and would recommend against planning on traveling to the BVI in December.

Officially the BVI will reopen for tourists on December 1st.

At present the plans consist of the following key elements:
- COVID Test 48 hours before departure in order to book a ticket (yes, that's the wording)
- COVID Test upon arrival
- 4 Day quarantine. Costs are carried by visitor plus $2500 or $3500 per group for "security"
- Another COVID test
- If negative, you get a tracking armband for the rest of the stay.

Since these measures are not really conducive to getting people to visit, I believe that they will change a couple of times before December 1st but I would be wary of making plans. I'd originally planned on returning in the first week of December to get my boat out of storage, but I've been visiting the BVI for many years and know how things work (and don't work) there so I've opted to wait a bit longer.

Oh, I forgot to mention that you can't take a ferry between the USVI and BVI, the only port of entry open is the airport at Beef Island.
Old 14-10-2020, 08:25   #8

Boat: Ensign 1659: Recently sold: 1984 Aphrodite 101 Hull #264
Send a message via Skype™ to NormanMartin

Retired charter captain here. Done many charters with kids and teens. Keep them swimming and they are happy. Some groups stay in one place for a few days to really explore ashore on foot or to do waterskiing or parasailing, etc.

You can easily spend a few days at the Bight, Anegada, or North Sound and find plenty of things for kids. I am not a party oriented skipper and have found that staying put for a few days makes a lot of sense.
I have been to PR to get work done and change crew but not cruised the island. I'd like to. The PR are very nice people but you do need to speak Spanish. I don't but always got around OK just felt like I missed a lot of detail. My daughter chose to get married in PR, west coast near Rincon. I thought it a better place to tour by car than boat.

Have fun.
NormanMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 08:50   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanMartin View Post
Retired charter captain here. Done many charters with kids and teens. Keep them swimming and they are happy. Some groups stay in one place for a few days to really explore ashore on foot or to do waterskiing or parasailing, etc.

You can easily spend a few days at the Bight, Anegada, or North Sound and find plenty of things for kids. I am not a party oriented skipper and have found that staying put for a few days makes a lot of sense.
I have been to PR to get work done and change crew but not cruised the island. I'd like to. The PR are very nice people but you do need to speak Spanish. I don't but always got around OK just felt like I missed a lot of detail. My daughter chose to get married in PR, west coast near Rincon. I thought it a better place to tour by car than boat.

Have fun.
Anegada would be nice but a lot of charter companies place that out of bounds.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 09:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Anegada would be nice but a lot of charter companies place that out of bounds.

Didn't know that... Anegada was certainly not out of bounds for us in 2019.

Echoing the recommendation for BVIs - the sailing hops can be as short or as long as you really want, so for those who get bored with sailing it's easy to keep those to under 3 hour, or with multiple stops during the day (eg snorkelling, the Baths)

We snorkelled or swam every day, and hikes are possible in many places.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2020, 09:11   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Didn't know that... Anegada was certainly not out of bounds for us in 2019.

Echoing the recommendation for BVIs - the sailing hops can be as short or as long as you really want, so for those who get bored with sailing it's easy to keep those to under 3 hour, or with multiple stops during the day (eg snorkelling, the Baths)

We snorkelled or swam every day, and hikes are possible in many places.
Probably varies company to company. The last charter we did in the BVI was a smaller company and even though I had kept a boat in the USVI for years, several deliveries to the VI, etc since I had not been specifically to Anegada it was prohibited.

Too bad since it looked like the best diving would be there.

I would suggest checking with the different charter operations to find out their policy,
Old 14-10-2020, 09:16   #12

Hello Skipmac:
Anegada is open... or it was two years ago when I last skippered down in the BVI. That was certainly not the case maybe ten years ago when charterers needed permission to go there. These days, one departs North Sound after breakfast and sails the reverse course of the line of charter boats sailing back to North Sound from Anegada. OK, a little exaggerated. But not by much.

Reservations for mooring balls are now common so plan around that.

When I first started working in the BVI charter business, '07 or '08, Anegada was a remote island and there was room to anchor. Now, moorings only and the harbor can fill up by early afternoon. Reservations required for dinner ashore. Dress nicely, please.

Pro tip: It is hard to find the boat in the dark. Light it well before you leave and use your GPS. Take two flashlights in the RIB.

One recent trip, during spring break, I think, the place was so packed boats were rafting to strangers. Ashore, that night, a big group got up and did the Clemson fight song to rousing applause. A moment later, a table of the world's prettiest young ladies got up beside their table and replied with the U of Georgia song with choreography. They were actual cheerleaders. Brought the house down. True story

Years before that, a group of 6 older Euros wrapped the mooring around the keel and lay sideways. Nothing to do but get out the rum and swim naked off the boat. Hideous. Then there is the famous youtube credit card captain video.

Anegada is open as far as I know.

Norm, quietly gardening on Cape Cod and I'd prefer to be back in the BVI!!
Old 14-10-2020, 09:23   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormanMartin View Post
Hello Skipmac:
Anegada is open... or it was two years ago when I last skippered down in the BVI. That was certainly not the case maybe ten years ago when charterers needed permission to go there. These days, one departs North Sound after breakfast and sails the reverse course of the line of charter boats sailing back to North Sound from Anegada. OK, a little exaggerated. But not by much.

Reservations for mooring balls are now common so plan around that.

When I first started working in the BVI charter business, '07 or '08, Anegada was a remote island and there was room to anchor. Now, moorings only and the harbor can fill up by early afternoon. Reservations required for dinner ashore. Dress nicely, please.

Pro tip: It is hard to find the boat in the dark. Light it well before you leave and use your GPS. Take two flashlights in the RIB.

One recent trip, during spring break, I think, the place was so packed boats were rafting to strangers. Ashore, that night, a big group got up and did the Clemson fight song to rousing applause. A moment later, a table of the world's prettiest young ladies got up beside their table and replied with the U of Georgia song with choreography. They were actual cheerleaders. Brought the house down. True story

Years before that, a group of 6 older Euros wrapped the mooring around the keel and lay sideways. Nothing to do but get out the rum and swim naked off the boat. Hideous. Then there is the famous youtube credit card captain video.

Anegada is open as far as I know.

Norm, quietly gardening on Cape Cod and I'd prefer to be back in the BVI!!
Thanks Norm,

It was a few years ago when I was there and as I mentioned, a smaller charter company. Basically a locally owned operation. They would allow charterers to go the Anegada but only if you had been there before.

Cape Cod? Seems like we're neighbors, at least for another couple of weeks. Starting to get cold up here and I've got a boat waiting to launch in Florida to go somewhere warm.
Old 14-10-2020, 10:28   #14

Skipmac:
Good for you. Altho I grew up on the Cape and sailing here, I did most of my formative years in the Bahamas and Florida waters including the Keys. In time started being a pro in the Caribbean in the '70s and then full time in '04. Dry stints in NYC and Boston.

Where do you sail in Florida? I'd love to get off this sandbar and go back to the warm southern waters.

Trying to sell my boat and then pick out an old person's boat for cruising the ICW.
Old 14-10-2020, 10:29   #15

I was considering the same thing in the same time frame but I'm not anymore.

Consider the travel implications and COVID testing requirements before you put your hard earned money down. Now maybe something has changed since last week, but getting into the BVI required:

1) Negative Covid test within 48 Hours of arrival to gain access.
2) 4 days quarantine
3) must wear a bracelet to assure you don't break quarantine
4) Negative test in order to leave quarantine

They also have said this is too restrictive and wanted to lower the restrictions so it may change. It may also go the other direction and the territory is completely shut down again. Cases are starting to climb back up again globally, and that timeframe we will know if we are in the midst of a second wave. Also keep in mind, if you are unfortunate enough to test positive after you get there, you are stuck there for at least 2 weeks and not in what I would call ideal conditions. Also factor in the your costs for the Covid testing that is mandatory, could add $200/person per test (this I'm not sure but is the cost for me locally before I leave...it might be cheaper/free by then).

All in all the situation is dicey, and I've delayed my trip. We have nothing but time on our hands for sailing and travel in our life so there is no need to press the issue in these uncertain times. We have planned a 1 month charter in January, the charter base could not give me a straight answer because it is impossible to know...and they highly recommended trip insurance!

PR or STT might be a better bet, but I'm guessing the whole place will be closed again, I hope not!
ol1970 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
BVI