Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 12:25   #1

Passage to Abacos - Need Help Planning

I posted this in the General Forum but thought I would place it here as well.

Hello and thank you for your help. I am planning a Bahamas cruise for late May - Mid June. I plan to make a delivery passage on my Seawind 1190 Sport Catamaran in late May from my home in SW Florida to Marsh Harbour, Abacos. My delivery crew will fly out and my family will fly in. We will have 2 and 1/2 weeks to make our way home. It’s looking like a 380nm passage from Naples to Marsh Harbour. I will most likely do the delivery straight through planning to come onto the bank at dawn. Should be something around 2 and a half days. I will be looking to cross to the Bahamas from Channel 5 / Long Key. Returning home we will explore Abacos, Berry Islands, Bimini, then Miami.

Questions:

Is this a comfortable window or too ambitious?
Where should I come onto the bank? Riding Rocks?
Should I cross the bank to NW Channel Light sail south of Chubb Cay and on up to Abacos rounding Southwest Pt / Hole in the Wall?
Where should I enter the Abaco Sea to make Marsh Harbour?
Where should I check in?
Any suggestions on a quality Marina in Marsh Harbour to tie up the boat and leave it for 5 days before I return with the family?

Returning home will be shorter day sails from Abaco, to Bimini, Miami,then home by way of Channel ,5 does that make sense?

The boat has daggerboards and retractable rudders so can achieve a very shallow draft of 2 feet. Easy cruising speed is 7 knots for planning.

Thanks very much for any and all advice and suggestions!
Keith
SV.OHANA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
abaco, passage