Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-08-2020, 10:54   #1

Boat: Beneteau 49
Offshore Insurance

I’ve only posted twice, though I read CF daily. I struggle with trying to figure out the sight, let alone ask a question, but here goes. I just received notice that my Pantaenius policy will not be renewed. My primary cruising ground is the Chesapeake Bay, but twice I’ve done the Caribbean 1500 and am planning on doing the trip again in November barring major hurricane damage or prolonged Covid restrictions. Any recommendations on insurers?
scobane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 07:59   #2

Re: Offshore Insurance

We had Pantaenius US for a year and then switched to BoatUS (Geico) for cruising the east coast. We are also considering a sail to the islands in November and will be contacting them to see how much it will cost to include the Caribbean for the winter.
BostonSailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2020, 08:13   #3

Boat: Wendon Skylounge 72'

Quote:
Originally Posted by scobane View Post
I’ve only posted twice, though I read CF daily. I struggle with trying to figure out the sight, let alone ask a question, but here goes. I just received notice that my Pantaenius policy will not be renewed. My primary cruising ground is the Chesapeake Bay, but twice I’ve done the Caribbean 1500 and am planning on doing the trip again in November barring major hurricane damage or prolonged Covid restrictions. Any recommendations on insurers?
I have a suggestion that may save you a lot of time and angst! Go to a broker (not an insurer). A broker has access to most of the insurance companies, and knows from experience which will most likely provide a positive response to your particular situation. A good broker will likely provide you with two or three quotes and the pros and cons of each to allow you to make an informed choice.

My broker is JackMartin.com I am happy with them, but not promoting them, any good marine broker will make your life easier. Good luck ~Alan
AlanT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 03:48   #4

Boat: Beneteau 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanT View Post
I have a suggestion that may save you a lot of time and angst! Go to a broker (not an insurer). A broker has access to most of the insurance companies, and knows from experience which will most likely provide a positive response to your particular situation. A good broker will likely provide you with two or three quotes and the pros and cons of each to allow you to make an informed choice.

My broker is JackMartin.com I am happy with them, but not promoting them, any good marine broker will make your life easier. Good luck ~Alan
Agree with all of the above, with an emphasis on GOOD broker. I have used Charter Lakes for the past 4 years or so and have been extremely pleased.
Capt. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2020, 07:16   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 349, FP 47, Sense 50, J 42ds

The insurance market is getting very tight (and very small). I ended up with YachtInsure. The only other quote I got was so restrictive I would not have been able to sail the boat anywhere on my itinerary provided. There is a good broker near you eric@insurewitheric.com. I didn't use him as I had a long standing relationship elsewhere but heard very good things about him.
Zzmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insurance, offshore