Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2019, 14:18   #1

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Marina in Mystic, CT near train access

Good afternoon to all! I am planning on moving my boat from Chesapeake Bay to mystic Connecticut for a New England cruise this summer. Does anyone have any information on a marina in Mystic that is accessible by train?

Thank you,
Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 14:59   #2

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3
Re: Marina in Mystic, CT near train access

There are so many near the Mystic train station that you might relate what are deal killers or that you'd like.
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 17:56   #3

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Good afternoon to all! I am planning on moving my boat from Chesapeake Bay to mystic Connecticut for a New England cruise this summer. Does anyone have any information on a marina in Mystic that is accessible by train?

Thank you,
Ben
The closest would be Mystic Shipyard East....the next closest would be Seaport Marine. Both decent places but I’d call them immediately if you expect to spend the season.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 19:03   #4

Thanks for the quick replies!!! I am coming for some transient slip mid to July to stage for a New England cruise eat August, then sail back to Chesapeake. No deal killers, really. Would prefer nice amenities, nice grounds, reasonable proximity to grocery store for provisioning, but I don't mind getting a cab or Uber to/from train or supermarket.
Old 20-02-2019, 19:34   #5

Boat: Columbia 50

Personally, I would say stay in Noank. It’s a couple of miles south of mystic, but to my mind one of the prettiest spots in the area - The noank shipyard is a large marina there, and there is a large mooring field, right off Fisher’s island and Long Island sound that has rentals.

Mystic itself is too noisy and constrained for my tastes, plus you’d have that two mile haul out to open water every time you go out

Matt
mlydon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2019, 19:50   #6

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Matt gave you good advice, but Orion Jim's advice is spot on if you want to be in walking distance to Mystic station (Amtrak). Probably the biggest grocery store in that area is the Big Y on Route 1 between Mystic and Stonington (about 5 minutes by car from Mystic station (it's a superstore). There are a lot of shopping and restaurant choices in that area.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 09:04   #7

Re: Mystic Marinas
We stayed at Fort Rachael in Mystic 3 seasons. Wonderful location. They have slips, are right after the opening train bridge and within walking distance of the train. Very accommodating, and a lovely area.
Bollard
bollard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 09:07   #8

Fort Rachael. Really friendly and helpful staff. Floating docks, many ammenities.
Can walk to station, town, shops. One of my favorite places, but it takes about 30 minutes to access the Sound through many moorings. Channel clearly marked.
Old 21-02-2019, 10:17   #9

Skippers, I very much appreciate the info! I am used to sailing or steaming 20 minutes or so to get out to open water so that's not the issue. I also wrestle with quiet pretty Marina versus access to town on foot. The admiral really likes to walk into town. I will check out all of the marinas you have suggested. Thank you very much for the very useful information!!!
Old 21-02-2019, 15:18   #10

Boat: Catalina 425

Add Mystic Shipyard to your list. Bigger and with better amenities than its other yard. Plus a great little country store within a few minutes walk.
wizoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2019, 17:13   #11

Boat: Nordic 44

Look at Stonington CT+ Uber to the station.
pitlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2019, 08:20   #12

Fort Rachael is within walking distance of Cap't Daniel Packer Inn, also many other restaurants. Staff at marina great, and you can do your own work. We went back several times after buying and fitting out our sailboat there. Beautiful area.
Bollard
Old 22-02-2019, 11:27   #13

Thank you!!
Old 22-02-2019, 12:02   #14
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post

Thank you,
Ben
Don't know about Mystic, but there are city moorings (that no one ever comes around to collect on based on the 4 times I've been there) at New London Ct that is 1 block to the train station. There is also a marina