Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2009, 17:41   #1

drive train vibration

Evening all.
My sailboat has developped a loud vibration at 2200 rpm. I inspected my propellor and managed to get it under control after I aligned my prop shaft, but the cure didn't last. I noticed that some of the engine mounts' screws were stripped in the engine bed, which is made out of wood and glassed inside the hull. I am planning to poke the engine bed to investigate the extent of the rot if any.

Should there be rot localised acround the screws, what would be the best way to fix it?
Should the wood be rotten through, what essence of wood is commonly used to make engine beds?

Thanks for your hep

Bert
tanzersailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2009, 18:43   #2

Boat: Cooper 416
Cutlass

If your going to do it hopefully your out of the water.Check your cutlass bearing and if need be replace it. Then check your stringers and if you can't drill out and plug with dowels .A little penatrating epoxy should be thrown in the mix to harden and seal and glue. Hopefully you can retap and set your mounts right back down with out lifting the motor. If not make a new bed using Purple Heart.Hope this helps
Redcoat is offline   Reply With Quote