Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2010, 07:54   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 44cc
OK, so we've about got "the plan". Thought I would share it and get opinions. (this has been really fun for me)
Leave St. Lucie with the tide. Heading due east until the depth reaches at least 60 feet. We'll turn south and follow the contours between 60 and 100 feet. Just before Miami we'll get a little farther out to avoid traffic and stay outside until Fowey Rocks. There we'll cross over into the Hawk Channel.
We'll stay with the Hawk Channel until we hit Key West. There we'll overnight (or longer) in Key West Bight.
Leaving Key West Bight we'll head due west then turn NW once we reach G17. Follow the channel out until we hit G1....
Then Depending on the status of the Gulf Loop Current at the time we'll either turn north or hit the rhumb line to a way point approximately 100 miles southsoutheast of Galveston. Head north from there into Galveston as conditions permit.
My only concerns are 1. Staying out of trouble in the Hawk Channel. 2. Staying out of trouble in Key West. 3. Getting the ice maker onboard working and 4. Having enough rum onboard for the whole trip.
With 5 souls aboard and two of them dedicated beer drinkers I'm thinking a gallon of rum per day for the remaining crew. Better to have to much than not enough. Now the only question is do we mix with carbonated beverage or take the health food route and mix with juice? Any comments from the professionals in the forum with regards to this important last decision? (I know 16 different ways to cook spam so not to worried about the food provisioning part. I'll also make Cabbage Soup for the first 2 or 3 days until everyone gets finished working the rail. Then we'll switch to potatoes with the spam. Also know 16 different ways to make potatoes.....)
NCountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 08:03   #17

Boat: bristol cutter 54
Seven mile bridge is 64' high Marathon marina
anna schutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 08:19   #18

Ncountry

Sounds like a plan. Staying out of trouble in Hawks Channel is easier than staying out of trouble in Key West, particularly if you're there at Fantasy Fest.

Rum with tonic and lime when you have it, then rum with water and lime and, when water supplies run low, rum with rum and lime. You need lots of lime to fend off the scurvy.
Imnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 08:28   #19

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ActiveCaptain View Post
We draw 6 feet too. You shouldn't have any problem getting into Boot Key harbor, especially to the marinas before the mooring field. The bridge shown leading to the mooring field is in a permanently up position.

We spent a month on a mooring in the mooring field. Getting in there with a 6' draft isn't any problem at all especially if you're staying on the 16 larger (45'+) moorings. There is a section of the fairway toward the main part of the mooring field where there is a 5.5' bump. If you'll be going back there, ask the municipal marina that runs the mooring field for guidance to get around it.
BK bridge is gone.

The bump in the fairway has increased a bit. Stay to the left of the channel.
Old 27-10-2010, 08:41   #20
Marine Service Provider

Dang, gonna have to change my provisioning list. With 5 people aboard and about 2 weeks it looks something like this...
3 cases of cabbage
50 pounds of pinto beans
14 gallons of Sailor Jerry Rum
10 cases of generic beer
10 cases of Tonic
3 cases of lime
salt and pepper....

Am I missing anything? (heck, with this list we can make our own wind if we need to)
Old 27-10-2010, 10:05   #21

Provisioning list looks good, I guess you just forgot to mention the Spam.
If you should ever manage to reassemble your crew in Key West and get moving you'll have a few days to recover en route to Galveston. Is that the end of the line?
Imnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 11:18   #22

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
I agree, KW is a better solution than crossing thru at Marathon. 7-Mile bridge is high enough (65') and Florida Bay is deep enough, but it is a big mess of crap traps right now, I came thru there 2 weeks ago at the start of the season. I wouldn't want to do it at night. If you do go to the Boot Key mooring field from the west, beware of the overhead cable (65') at the now-defunct bascule bridge. Sister Creek is another option for entering Boot Key Harbor, just watch the tide/depth, I measured 6 foot depth at +0.2' tide two weeks ago.

2 Marina suggestions at KW:
Key West Bight Marina - $2.75/foot plus electricity
A&B Marina - $3.00/foot incl. electricity

Rumor has it A&B has better amenities.

Good Luck!
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 13:07   #23
Marine Service Provider

Note to self... add Spam and potatoes to provisioning list. Man can not live on cabbage and beans alone......
Old 27-10-2010, 18:09   #24

Be careful on 7 mile bridge the clearance marking bridge clearance on gulfside is correct it is only 64' because of the supports under the bridge spans. Go thru at low tide.
Old 27-10-2010, 18:10   #25

Marathon Marina has new owners and new restaurant management Lazy days is good.
Old 27-10-2010, 18:23   #26

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
I would suggest you not run too far offshore especially as you get south of Lake Worth and approach Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. Get the correct limits for the Gulf Stream since it can run right up against the coast here and you could be fighting the current. There is really no need to go out too far off the coast. We generally run almost on the beach and had no problem with a 6 foot draft. We were based out of Marathon for ten years. Forget the Seven Mile Bridge and go down to Key West. You can sail almost directly to Galveston, depending on wind and weather. But keep in mind the Gulf can be very nasty and uncomfortable in the wrong weather. We made the trip from Houston along the Gulf Coast and really enjoyed it. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2010, 18:55   #27

Boat: Endeavour 42
Key West is a fun town. Suggest you spend a few days there. We stay at Key West Bight Marina-owned by the City and cheaper than the others. As an added bonus, the large swimming pool/bar complex at the end of the dock is available for dock users(at least the last time we were there). Also West Marine only a block away on Caroline Street. And right across the street is BO's Fish Wagon, complete w/chickens running around the outdoor super funky joint, with cold beer and great seafood grub. Don't miss it. The directions for leaving via NW Channel are spot on-that's definately THE best way to exit the Keys traveling northwest.
Old 27-10-2010, 19:21   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
C'mon down! Fantasy Fest is gearing up nicely right now!
Old 28-10-2010, 14:12   #29
Marine Service Provider

I"ve been warned to check the Gulf Loop Current before we leave Key West and to head North for a bit to avoid sailing against it. I've been watching all the NOAA stuff and checking the loops history. It doesn't appear to have done much change recently. The strongest of the current seems to be south of Key West. With winds mostly from the east and northeast it looks like we'll be good to head straight for our way point south of Galveston once past G!....
If history is any help then we should see good winds building as we get into November so other than a good ride from the waves it's looking like a good trip. I'm really excited about this. Well, all except the feeding 5 guys cabbage, beans, potatoes and spam for 2 weeks. That part seems dangerous but we'll try to cover things up with lots of rum and beer. Thanks for the information folks....