Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 18-07-2012, 10:56   #16

Re: Leeward Islands

Hi
I would stay away form Isle Fourche, St. Barts is Great.
St. Kitts is OK hiking the volcano is a must do , downtown is dreary, but there are some nice anchorages in the south where all the tourism development is happening see it before it is ruined.
Montserrat is wonderful. ( take a tour of Plymouth)
Antigua is also great, stay in English Harbor. And Barbuda is a must do , pink sand beaches nobody there.
This is too much for a wek though evenr too much for two weeks. Also doing the BVIs on top of this is too ambituous. You want time to enjoy these islands and there is a lot of distance between them. I would sail clockwise starting in St. Martin going to Barbuda and Antigua and Monsterrat, St. Kitts and Barts. I wouldn't stress too much about customs they are lazy corrupt and a hassle. If you don't check in nobody will know or care.
Merritt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2012, 15:12   #17

Boat: Lagoon 450

Thanks for the answers. We will be repositioning our boat to the BVI so will only have about 4-6 days in St Martin and surrounding. I don't want to hang around too long due to the time of year. I think we will hit Anguilla, with permit, then clockwise around St Martin and head out from Simpson Bay when done. From what I have been reading Prickly Pear Island is on the list.
Catopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2012, 05:11   #18

Sounds good
Happy sailing.
Old 19-07-2012, 05:14   #19

One bit of advice, watch out for shoals, the chart soundings are sometime form the 1800s, so when circling St. Martin stay well outside.
Old 19-07-2012, 06:52   #20

Go to St Lucia for waterfalls / beautiful jungle covered terrain...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 12:28   #21

" I wouldn't stress too much about customs they are lazy corrupt and a hassle. If you don't check in nobody will know or care."

With regards to this statement, is this true? I have chartered out of the Leewaed Islands a few times and I always wonder if I am the only one who checks in and out of each country. I get the impression from the charter company that clearing in and out may not always be neccessary but they won't say it out loud. Does anyone have any insight into this matter? I am more concerned with the huge time committment involved because we never stay more than two nights in any one place.
luv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 13:42   #22

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

I dunno about that.
In Islands or anchorages where there is a fee, they want their money, better believe it.
English and Falmouth Harbors, Nevis(mooring field), definitely Anguilla, Sint Maarten, St barts.
In st barts they will be knocking on the boat pronto.
On an aside, if one owns the boat ( not a bareboat) and stays in Sandy Ground, Anguilla, it is free free free! Not much of that anymore.

Dominica tries to make it easy, it is cheap , and they give you a clearance to leave when you enter, up to 2 weeks I think. A little common sense actually happened there.
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 13:52   #23

Okay, thanks. Not to hijack this thread but it seemed like pertinent info to the original question. If you are only anchoring in a bay and not going on-shore can you fly a "Q" flag and just leave in the morning without clearing in or out? Can you do that for more than one night?
luv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 14:09   #24

Boat: never wrecked a boat while awake or sober

I never use the yellow flag.
I do sometimes anchor and rest without going ashore .
bruce smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 15:47   #25

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

Yes you can yellow flag and not go ashore. I have done this in st. bart (Anse Columbier where we didnt want to go ashore because everything we wanted to see was under water) and also Martinique, Dominica, Guadeloupe because we were just hopping up the chain one island per day and didnt go ashore or check in. But I wouldnt try it in Antigua. Anguilla wanted us to check in but were free and very easy and laid back about it ("Its late and we're going home now so please come back and check in tomorrow but feel free to go to those restaurants over there") . St. Martin wants their fees but I wonder if they actually know?
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2012, 16:21   #26
LJH

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 42

In Antigua check in and our through Jolly Harbour (cheaper than English Harbour). French Islands cost about 3 Euro to clear customs. West coast of Guadeloupe Deshaies to Les Saintes then down to Portsmouth Dominca would fit the bill for you. Head back north by way of Stacia or Saba.
LJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leeward islands