Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 05:46   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Is a Detour to Visit Bermuda Worth it ?

I'm planning on doing the sail from Annapolis to the Caribbean in 2 weeks or so, depending upon state of the boat and weather. While doing my planning I realized that I should make bail-out plans for Bermuda and realized that it really isn't that far out of the way. After looking at Noonsite and other sites for arrival and other information the thought came to me that it might be worth visiting this island in late November instead of bypassing it.
For those who have stopped there - is it worth making a detour to visit Bermuda for a couple of days, or should I just get south to the Caribbean as quickly as possible?
Old 07-11-2011, 06:21   #2

Boat: Nassau 34
Re: Is a detour to visit Bermuda worth it?

I always love a break to sail to Bermuda. 4-5 days from the eat coast- watch your weather window. Then a nice sail SSE to the islands - usually with the trades.
Last time I did a direct run from Beaufort NC to St. John - got hammered and was a LONG trip.

But I do love Bermuda..... so I'm a little bias!

either way enjoy.
Bluemansailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:24   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

It's an absolutely charming island, with friendly people and a lot of good restaurants. We spent a week there in June a few years ago, tied up stern-to at the St Georges Dinghy and Sports Club for the most part, although we sailed around to the Hamilton side and anchored out one night. Rent a motor scooter to get around.

The downside this time of year is the weather. Not as balmy as you might want, depending on what's brewing in the Atlantic. And getting there keeps you in the Fall storm zone longer than sailing the rhumbline from Cape Henry, Virginia.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:32   #4

A fantastic island, absolutely worth renting a bike and cycle around. Dont forget lunch at the lighthouse and a visit to the old English capital. One warning: it is expensive (and I am used to NYC prices....)
arjand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:37   #5

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I crewed on a Virginia-St. Thomas, USVIs delivery in '09 and we had Bermuda as the "out". However, checking with Herb H. on the topic of weather convinced the skipper that our safest (and fastest) course would be to just continue making out turn South with the weather system's wind staying largely aft of the beam. So in the middle of the night, I saw a faint loom of orange light I was told was Bermuda off the port sternquarter...but I don't regret missing it given the fairly heavy weather all around us.

So I would plan to go in terms of paperwork, etc. but also plan to avoid it if changing circumstances dictate. I know it's pretty, and it's expensive, and that the reef-strewn approach is better done in daylight. Fair winds.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:38   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Thanks chaps for the compliments.
Hud, as usual gives the warning about weather.
I'm interested to see the "elle" incident unfold.
This weather that we are having now has been widely known for more than a week, and it is a huge cell.
It would have been common knowledge on the East Coast.

Tags
Bermuda, bermuda