Cruisers Forum

  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2009, 18:36   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Nettle's Island, FL
Boat: Endeavour - Manta 40
Posts: 4
FL to NC Offshore in January

Hey All...
I am taking delivery of our 35' Fountain Pajot Tago Catamaran this week. I plan to bring her up from Riviera Beach, FL to to her new home in Washington, NC next week over the New Years weekend leaving on Thursday morning. The plan is to bring her back offshore as far north as the weather will permit. Then North on the ICW, if necessary, to the Pamilico River and on to Washington, NC.

Any thoughts or recommondations on making this passage would be appreciated.

Sea ya,

hitec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 19:55   #2
Senior Cruiser
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 16,306
Main suggestion. Even in south FL a cold front can make the Gulf Sream really nasty in Jan. Check the weather very carefully before going outside.

Also, do not get locked into a schedule. Be ready to wait out the weather.
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
Sometimes it's necessary to state the obvious for the benefit of the oblivious.
Rust is the poor man's Loctite.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 20:30   #3

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 15,133
I don't know if that's new or used, but considering how the wx can change and what survival time in the water is in January...

Survey and inspect, take an overnight near-shore shakedown cruise, recheck the boat afterwards. Engine, rigging, all through-hulls, power and communications.

I'd stay conservative and try to set up a comm schedule with someone ashore, or at least a float plan filed.

After that, it is a just a matter of checking the weather very carefully, and being prepared to wait--or delay as needed. (That and dressing for it! Sea boots and watch cap may be mandatory.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 04:06   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus
Hud3's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Virginia
Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Posts: 8,942
Images: 54
Looking at, it appears that the next cold front will be passing off the Coast on Friday. If you could leave this Wednesday, you'd be able to take advantage of the high pressure system to your north and motorsail in the Gulf Stream to make some miles on Wednesday and Thursday.

It looks like the winds will be clocking around from the SW to the NW and building on Friday, 20-30 kts NW, and staying in that range through Sunday. Looks like you might want to seek a safe inlet to the ICW before dark on Thursday to avoid bashing into headwinds.

p.s. welcome to Cruisers Forum!
Hud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 04:35   #5
Registered User
s/v Moondancer's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Miami
Boat: Boatless
Posts: 1,565
I usually go NE from Florida out to 80 deg west and then ride the Gulf Stream straight north to Charleston. However, at this time of the year I would probably stay close in unless I was sure of a 3 day weather window. Even close in to Florida (5 miles) you still get some northerly current.

All the east coast entries are difficult in bad weather from the east so I would be very careful with weather reports. Places like Frying Pan Shoals off Wilmington are very bad in north easterlies so that the ICW from Charleston must be part of the plan and I would go in at Beaufort and not risk Hatteras.

Good luck.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 06:53   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: FL
Boat: Pacific Seacraft 31 - Cielo Azul
Posts: 360
Images: 3
I'll be a contrarion, I would hug the coast (-+20nm), when weather forecast goes
nasty, jump inside. Unless you are going to commit to going all the way to Beaufort,
staying in the stream will take you so far out, that if you come back in the extra
speed you gotten will not make up for the extra miles.
teejayevans is offline   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Johnstone Strait in January? Exocet Sailor Logs & Cruising Plans 4 09-12-2009 11:56
Update: Going to the Bahamas in January Sea Yawl Later Atlantic & the Caribbean 33 09-11-2009 03:14
Orlando Weather in January? MikeinLA Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany 6 03-10-2009 14:19
Where to - Bahamas in January ? Teej Atlantic & the Caribbean 11 29-04-2009 22:07
KeyWest to Bahamas in January PHIL+MARYANNE Atlantic & the Caribbean 9 24-10-2006 05:25

Advertise Here

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:50.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.