Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2021, 18:22   #16

Boat: Lagoon 380
Re: Exuma Cays, Bahamas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Content63 View Post
Greetings, In addition to this site and the VHF, is there a certain forum or chat site that Exuma Cruisers use? I’ll be Cruising the Exuma Cays this winter and was wondering how to best connect with other Cruisers on local and current conditions. Thank you for your assistance.

Wife and i will be in exumas feb into march. PM and we can trade MMSI #’s.
We did abacos in sept. Grand bahama in aug.
team karst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 05:52   #17

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

Quote:
Yeah...well... I don't do Facebook. But I do appreciate your input. Thank you and Best regards.
I don't either, but that's where the groups that you are looking for are going to be found.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2022, 17:13   #18

Quote:
Thanks Cheechako,

I'm Bareboat Chartering. My experience level is high, but the Exuma Cays are relatively new to me, so I'm doing my research ahead of time. One of the areas I'm studying is tide time differences between the Cays and Nassau. Specifically at Galliot Cut and nearby Cuts. Any input there would also be appreciated. Best Regards...
Hi!
Did you already make your trip? I'll be doing it with my family at the end of June and I am in the planning phase. Any opinion and suggestions if you already made it?
FamilyTrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 12:24   #19

Hi Family Trips,

Sorry for the delayed response. We returned from our 6 week cruise of the Bahamas not long ago. We started in Great Exuma and cruised to Warderick Wells Land and Sea Park then back to Exuma with many stops along the way. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to share what I learned if it pertains. Take Care....
Content63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 14:35   #20

Quote:
Hi Family Trips,

Sorry for the delayed response. We returned from our 6 week cruise of the Bahamas not long ago. We started in Great Exuma and cruised to Warderick Wells Land and Sea Park then back to Exuma with many stops along the way. If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to share what I learned if it pertains. Take Care....
Hi and Thanks for your reply!

Hope you enjoyed that amazing long trip through Bahamas. My main questions so far are about what 3 or 4 places you would prioritize given 7 days to sail in the area. Our charter days are departing on June 26th and returning to the base at Palm Cay Marina on July the 1st.
The 1st leg would be from PCM to Highborne Cay Marina and from there, is where I'm trying to get your opinion to prioritize.
Is a family trip of 4, including 2 daughters so racing nor stress related to "shallower than usual" is our goal.

If you can share what places you loved the most and those that you would keep for another trip, will be more than Welcome!

Thanks again!
FamilyTrips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2022, 16:32   #21

Most importantly, I wouldn’t plan a packed itinerary…or even one you feel you need to stick to. The weather will probably determine when and where you go, or you may fall in love with a certain spot and want to stay there an extra day or two. As you are departing from Nassau, the closest spot you would get to that we visited would be The Land and Sea Park at Warderick Wells. Roughly a 64 mile journey for you. This stop is all about nature as there are there are no accommodations; gas; or groceries there. To get internet reception you need to climb Boo Boo hill. A 20 minute hike. The North Mooring Field, where we moored is stunningly beautiful.
The next place further south I would recommend is the Compass Cay Marina. Roughly a 75 mile journey from Nassau. Here you’ll see and be able to swim with the sharks! Do this! You’ll need to dingy to the marina or call them on channel 16 and see if they have an available slip for your yacht. You can get a hotdog or burger here as well as a cold beer…but not much else. It’s all about the sharks and your daughters will get a kick out of this! We’ve seen hundreds of people swim with them and they were all equally elated.
Further south, roughly an 83 mile journey from Nassau is Big Majors and the Swimming Pigs. This is pretty cool and worth a couple hours. Take some leftovers to the beach and you’ll have them swimming around you in no time.
A mile away is Staniel Cay. Provisioning headquarters for this part of the Exumas. A great bar/restaurant; good grocery stores, laundry facilities, and gas if you need it. You can rent golf carts by the hour to check out the island.
Next would be the iguanas at Bitter Guana Cay. Also pretty cool. Take some leftovers here too and you’ll have “friends” in no time.
The list above is long. Too long to see and do it all if you have to go back to Nassau to return the yacht.
So, my final suggestion would be to ask your charter company if you can leave your yacht in Staniel Cay instead of returning it to Nassau. They should be willing to have a Captain meet you there on your last day and he can take the yacht back to Nassau. This of course will cost you a little more. And, you’ll have to make flight arrangements for you and your family back to Nassau, or straight home wherever that is. The bonus would be that you wouldn’t have to do a “round trip”…beginning and ending in Nassau. Meaning you would get to see and do more with your 7 day timeframe.
Hope this helps!
Content63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2022, 17:23   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyTrips View Post
Hi and Thanks for your reply!

Hope you enjoyed that amazing long trip through Bahamas. My main questions so far are about what 3 or 4 places you would prioritize given 7 days to sail in the area. Our charter days are departing on June 26th and returning to the base at Palm Cay Marina on July the 1st.
The 1st leg would be from PCM to Highborne Cay Marina and from there, is where I'm trying to get your opinion to prioritize.
Is a family trip of 4, including 2 daughters so racing nor stress related to "shallower than usual" is our goal.

If you can share what places you loved the most and those that you would keep for another trip, will be more than Welcome!

Thanks again!
We just got back from 7 day charter out of PCM a few weeks ago.

Places not to miss, in order of importance (my opinion):
1) Warderick Wells. Try to get a buoy in the North anchorage, the dark blue channel is incredible. Anchoring is not free here anyway (half price of buouy) Snorkel the shipwreck at bouy 19. Hike Booboo hill for the best view in the area. Million other little things to do or just stake out your own private beach here
2) Thunderball Grotto anchor at Staniel Cay, dinghy over a few mins before low tide. If the tide is going out, drop your crew off on the west side and pick them up on the east side (vice versa after the tide turns). If you catch it at slack, much easier to swim around and see inside the cave.
3) Big Major Pigs this doesn't count as a stop because you only need an hour to swing over there from Staniel Cay, including 20 mins on the beach for photos. Not saying it isn't worth it, you just don't need to stay long. Bring a loaf of bread and bag of carrots.
4) Snorkel an plane wreck The best one is at Norman's, but there's one at Staniel too. Time them for low tide.
5) Shroud cay Dinghy or paddle through the tidal river on a riding tide; don't go in with dinghy until the water is touching the roots of the mangrove trees or you'll bottom out (ask me how I know). Comes out in Exuma Sound, but there's a sandbar that keeps you from floating out to sea, so the kids can float back and forth with the tidal flow.

Consider skipping Highbourne and sailing straight to Norman's Cay on your first day if you want less stops. Highbourne is a beautiful resort with nice restaurant, but I'd put it on the bubble as far as worthwhile places to cruise. Highbourne charges to use the beaches (although they have more chairs, swing sets and stuff), but Norman's is open/free to boaters and quieter (except for the occasional private jet using the airstrip) and they have the plane wreck. We actually got out early enough on day one to go all the way to Staniel on day 1, and worked our way back, that gave us lots of flexibility on our itinerary as we moved North. Moorings check out skipper told us it is okay to spend last night at Highbourne for 10am checkout at PCM because nobody cares if you are late (despite what the briefing video says)...we didn't ending up doing it though because of weather.

Buy all your provisions, plus a little, at Solomon's in Nassau, one mile from marina. Provisions are scarce and $$$ on Highbourne and Staniel. Water: $2/gallon at Solomon's, out islands it is $6/gallon bottled or $0.50/gallon from the fuel dock hose (keep that in mind when showering). Diesel prices are regulated, so less of an issue.

Taxis on Nassau: unless you are in a jam/time crunch, ask for price before getting in. Ask the taxi driver that drops you off at Palm Cay to pick you up when you return; its a PITA to call one out there unless you get lucky and find one dropping off.
BusyBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 02:26   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyBoater View Post
... 4) Snorkel an plane wreck The best one is at Norman's, but there's one at Staniel too. Time them for low tide...
Where is the sunken plane wreck, near Staniel Cay?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2022, 04:11   #24

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Where is the sunken plane wreck, near Staniel Cay?
There's two wrecks that I know of. Marked with an airplane on explorer charts(I put a pin on both) I haven't been to the right one, but have been told about it. The left is alright, nothing to special. But it is very shallow, so easy to snorkel.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220428-070813.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	256793
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas