Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Atlantic & the Caribbean
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2022, 19:21   #1

Boat: Hunter 33 "Cherubini" (1982)
Bareboat sailing charter in BVI, what to do, what to skip?

Doing a 7 day charter starting from Scrub island staring this weekend !!!. Wondering what is best to do and best also to skip. With only 7 days we probably can't do it all. For instance Anegada, it is the furthest out, so is it worth the 3hrs to get there (from say V. Gorda) and then to get back to next destination? Is it a must see, or not so much. Let me know your thoughts.

FYI: Yes I am aware of BVI covid restrictions, so let's not go there.
paulg222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 20:49   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO409
Re: Bareboat sailing charter in BVI, what to do, what to skip?

I'd say - skip Anegada. Save it for next time! I've been to the BVIs multiple times and still have yet to be there. Do I want to visit it? Hell yeah!! And I will. But 7 days is short.

Not in any specific order:
The Indians (snorkeling)
Willy T's (drinks)
The Caves @ Norman (snorkeling)
The Baths (Virgin Gorda)
Saba Rock
Bitter End
Foxy's
Soggy Dollar
Bubbly Pools @ Jost

That should keep you busy
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 22:06   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

If it's your first time, you HAVE to hit the highlights, as Luke said. Anegada is great, but it really needs 2 nights.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2022, 23:27   #4

Boat: Jeanneau 57

What sort of a trip and companions do you have? Do you prefer to cook aboard or eat ashore, also do you prefer bars and nightlife or secluded anchorages? Do you have kids aboard? Where are you starting your charter from/ending it?

The BVI offers a lot of options. I've kept 4 boats there over the past 15 years and know those waters pretty well.
Old 16-02-2022, 05:34   #5

Boat: Taswell 43

I'd second Cool Hand Luke's list, and add a few. The North Bay area on Virgin Gorda is one. We like spending time at Leverick's resort (they have mooring balls, or you can just drop the anchor behind the field). Catch the Pirate's show at the bar (at about 6pm if it's still running), it's also a great place to rent a car and drive the island (much easier way to see the Baths!), etc. There's a great BBQ place up on the hill overlooking the Bay-not to miss, but you need a car. And while we have not been there yet, Bitter End used to be a really great place to go to, along with Saba Rock. If you're into loud and noisy, and young-then don't miss the "Willy T". Otherwise??? Salt Isl is also great diving, and Trellis Bay, especially if its a full moon (Full Moon Party) is a must do. Nanny Caye is a really nice marina and facility-easy to rent a taxi at West End (free mooring balls) to go there for a few hours if you don't want to rent a slip for a few hours. I'd agree putting off Anagada-in my opinion the lobster is overpriced and over-rated, but the island and beaches are very different and nice. Just my opinion....And don't miss the sand island just off Jost, enroute to Bubbly Pools....and the beachs a Cane Garden Bay are really nice.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 05:37   #6

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

If diving, Wreck of the Rhone. Listen to the briefer of what to avoid due to weather/wind. Don't want big waves in an anchorage. I did Anegada my first trip and really enjoyed the sail. But I like sailing.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 06:07   #7

Boat: Hunter 33 "Cherubini" (1982)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
What sort of a trip and companions do you have? Do you prefer to cook aboard or eat ashore, also do you prefer bars and nightlife or secluded anchorages? Do you have kids aboard? Where are you starting your charter from/ending it?

The BVI offers a lot of options. I've kept 4 boats there over the past 15 years and know those waters pretty well.
Just myself and my wife this time. Probably we would eat out a good amount. As far as nightlife vs seclusion, probably we would want a bit of a mix. We are starting/ending from Scrub island, dream yacht charters.
paulg222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 06:15   #8

Boat: Taswell 43

Forgot to mention...the BBQ night at Foxy's and/or at Levericks are really good. If you happen to be at either place that night (used to be Friday?) not to miss.....and go hungery!!! Levericjs used to have a "Jumbies" show and live band after the food. Pretty cool the first time you see them.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 06:38   #9

Boat: Jeanneau 57

Well, that simplifies things. I'd put together a list of places I'd want to visit but then do your trip planning on a day-by-day basis. Important factors are wind/weather, north swells, and hangover status. Any north swell reduces your options for comfortable anchorages significantly (anywhere in the North Sound of Virgin Gorda, Diamond Cay or on the leeward side of Tortola is good). From Scrub I would head to the North Sound first, perhaps spending the first night anchored or on a mooring ball in Long Bay (nothing available ashore, but you'll be provsioned), then enter the north sound and get a mooring at Leverick and take in the Happy 'arr show or Jumbies. The next night could be anchored in the North Sound just off Prickly Pear (nothing available ashore, quiet) or towards Saba Rock (freshly re-opened and rebuilt). Anegada could be next, or downwind towards Jost van Dyke, stopping at the Dog Islands on the way or at Guana Island / Monkey Point and not missing Sandy Cay or Sandy Spit. Then anchoring around Sandy Spit (nothing ashore) or into Diamond Cay (my favorite beach bar "B'line" and Foxy's Taboo ashore and access to the bubbly pool. Then Great Harbour and a trip to White Bay for a Painkiller or three.
The next day through the cut and into Soper's Hole (not my favorite place) or continuing on to the Indians for snorkeling and into the Bight - not a quiet place and not a great place for tourists on a Sunday. But there's Pirate's and the Willie T's there and many mooring balls.
What next - Great harbour on Peter island? Cooper Island? Then would come some quality time at the Baths and a final night either at Savannah Bay or Long Bay or Trellis Bay before returning to Scrub.
Old 16-02-2022, 06:53   #10

I would do this:
sail to Leverick, spend the night, rent car, drive island and go to Baths
spend a second night (you can decide if you want a slip, mooring ball or anchor for one or both nights)
sail to GCB, grab a mooring ball, enjoy the beach, eat on shore, spend the night
sail to Norman, do the Indians, do the caves, relax, do Willy Ts, stay two nights
sail to Great Harbor (secluded, no on shore eating) on Peter or Cooper
sail to Scrub in the afternoon (yes I know you're a night early), relaxing dinner, enjoy the pool the next day

I'd skip JVD and Anegada on the first trip and limit the sailing time.

If you want to sail a lot and the wind is right, then I'd zigzag.
Leverick (again, two nights and one full day rental car)
Norman (if wind is right this is an enjoyable long sail, do all the things there -2 nights) then Cooper (one night) or swap these (do Cooper first then Norman)
GCB (one night or if you need to you can stop at Soopers)
Scrub

The second option is tight, but a lot of good sailing with the proper wind. This would be more "work".

I prefer to be at DYC base the night before check-in, even though there's no sailing on that day. Makes for a relaxing morning breakfast, clean up and packing.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 07:12   #11

We did 8 days in the BVIs in 2019, 3 couples on a bareboat. Dining-out there is expensive, and we were there to sail and enjoy the Caribbean - the weather, the quiet, snorkeling - not to bar-hop, so we mainly did our own cooking (but we had several good cooks including one pro). We spent 2 nights in Anagada, which gave us a whole lazy day at Cow Wreck Beach. If you enjoy sailing, the run to Anegada is worth it. That's the only time we saw dolphins.

Snorkeling the Rhone was awesome. And despite some obvious hurricane damage, just about all the places had ok to great snorkeling.

We were part of a loose flotilla, but we often broke away and went elsewhere. So we didn't adhere to a rigid itinerary; we winged it a few times.

Anyway, I can't think of a bad spot, or one we'd have chosen to miss. To us frost-bitten Canadians, the BVIs are all good. It's the Disneyland of cruising. We dream of going back.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 07:34   #12

I noticed my fat fingers had a typo. It's CGB, not GCB.
leboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 07:37   #13

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Saba 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanshin View Post
The next night could be anchored in the North Sound just off Prickly Pear (nothing available ashore, quiet) or towards Saba Rock (freshly re-opened and rebuilt).
The SandBox on Prickly Pear has reopened better than ever. One of my favorite anchorages and I love hanging out in the shallow water off this beach watching boats come and go into North Sound.
Cuvee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 07:50   #14

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

My wife still remembers eating the last night on Cooper Island.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2022, 08:20   #15

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

I like Sydney's Peace and Love, Little Harbor, Jost Van Dyke.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bareboat, boat, BVI, charter, sail, sailing