Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2012, 08:51   #1

Christiansted Harbor STX

I will be spending a couple of days in Christiansted harbor and was hoping for some local information. I understand it can be tricky getting in and out. I believe that the big problem is confusion at Round Reef and the bifrucation buoy. It seems pretty clear to me, but it kind of begs the question as to which approach to take and and which anchorage is the most advisable.

My original thought was to keep Round Reef to port, following the deep channel around and anchoring behind Protestant Cay. While maybe more complicated to get there, it looks closer to things, etc. Will someone please comment on that versus basically coming straight in, keeping the bifurcation and Round Reef to starboard and anchoring on the east side of the main channel? I suppose a third option would be to come straight in and then cut across the main channel to duck behind Protestand Cay.

Thanks for the help in staying out of the local news!
Challo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 08:57   #2

Boat: (between boats)
Re: Christiansted Harbor STX

I'd suggest comming straight in. There is a mooring field now to the east of the main channel for visiting yachts. There is very little anchoring room west of the cay due to all the vessels on permanant moorings.
IslandHops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 09:20   #3

Perfect, thanks, IslandHops! That's the plan.
Old 27-10-2012, 12:35   #4

Spent 2 weeks there last year. The moorings to the east of Prorestant cay- North of STX marina can be very very rolly. We lucked out with a stay at Jones Marine at the end of the T dock. Charge was $25/night with electricity (assuming you're not running air conditioning). Free showers and you're right on the boardwalk!!. Also Kim the owner has wash/dry laundry at $6/load. Limited space so call ahead.(340-773-4709) Only downside you're close to the seaplane base. Tim S/V Northstar
maine50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2012, 13:10   #5

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandHops View Post
I'd suggest comming straight in. There is a mooring field now to the east of the main channel for visiting yachts. There is very little anchoring room west of the cay due to all the vessels on permanant moorings.
I support that; I was there in April and had a good time anchored East of the main channel near N17 45.0 W64 42.0. When you go ashore you can leave the dinghy at the Gallows Bay docks just in front of the Customs office.

Fair winds
C
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 06:35   #6

Thanks, everyone, for the advice.